Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB '09: The Show (PS3)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

I picked it up last night and have a few opinions on the game...

The good:
-It looks like you're watching a real baseball game. I can't believe how far games have come since I played RBI Baseball on Nintendo. Unreal.
-When you start a game in the daylight it gradually goes to darkness, just like in real life. Very good in my opinion.
-The stadium isn't always full. It used to drive me crazy playing on a Tuesday at home against the Reds and the stadium was always packed.

The bad:
-With all the players on the game they don't have McCutchen or Walker for the Pirates! That drives me nuts!

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: MLB '09: The Show (PS3)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 am 

Maybe I can sweet talk my wife in to buying that for me as an Easter gift.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm 

Enough about the asthetics; how is the game-play?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about the game play. I don't have much to compare it to. That and when it was my time to pitch I would fast forward to the next half-inning so I could bat. I didn't play it too long, just long enough to know that I could waste plenty of time playing the game!

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:26 am 

IA, since neither player has appeared in the big leagues (or is on a ML contract, I believe) they aren't a member of the players union, so they can't be put into the game. But if you look into the minors you should find someone like Adam McLutchon and Niles Welker or something. When I find them I usually edit them so it looks right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'll have to look into that...very interesting. Thanks for the nugget! I'm very anal about making sure numbers are correct, lineups are correct, and the rotation is correct. It almost makes the game a job trying to keep up!

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:21 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
IA, since neither player has appeared in the big leagues (or is on a ML contract, I believe) they aren't a member of the players union, so they can't be put into the game. But if you look into the minors you should find someone like Adam McLutchon and Niles Welker or something. When I find them I usually edit them so it looks right.

I buy the college basketball and football games and they don't come with their real names so every year i buy a memory card off of ebay that comes with the rosters on it.ive been buying them since 2004 and usually it doesnt cost much more than just the memory card would.ill search ebay and see if i can find one for mlb the show 09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:28 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
chetthespian wrote:

I buy the college basketball and football games and they don't come with their real names so every year i buy a memory card off of ebay that comes with the rosters on it.ive been buying them since 2004 and usually it doesnt cost much more than just the memory card would.ill search ebay and see if i can find one for mlb the show 09

i checked ebay and there aren't any up yet that i can find.give it alittle time for somebody to make them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 pm 

What's pretty cool about these online accessible systems is that these sports companies are making their own roster updates. So while they can't put in the players in the low minors, they can update the latest rosters with players who hadn't been eligible or had signed when the game came out. I bought NHL 09 in December and by that point they had posted three free roster updates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:21 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
What's pretty cool about these online accessible systems is that these sports companies are making their own roster updates. So while they can't put in the players in the low minors, they can update the latest rosters with players who hadn't been eligible or had signed when the game came out. I bought NHL 09 in December and by that point they had posted three free roster updates.

MVP Baseball did the same thing, usually after spring training ended, after the All-Star game, and after the trading deadline.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:38 pm 

Willton wrote:
chetthespian wrote:

MVP Baseball did the same thing, usually after spring training ended, after the All-Star game, and after the trading deadline.

and may MVP baseball rest in peace.It is missed.i still play MVP 2004 because MVP 2005 doesn't work on xbox 360 for some reason.I got MLB 2K9 and i still like MVP 2004 better than it.The pitching stinks on it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:03 pm 

Nothing will ever be as good as Acclaim's All Star Baseball 2004. The one with Jeter on the cover.

Greatest game ever made.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:01 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Nothing will ever be as good as Acclaim's All Star Baseball 2004. The one with Jeter on the cover.

Greatest game ever made.

That was a pretty good one also.the 2004 games still beat the 2009 games when it comes to gameplay.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Greatest game ever made.

That was a pretty good one also.the 2004 games still beat the 2009 games when it comes to gameplay.

Playing in the classic stadiums in the throwback uniforms with the sephia tones on screen......God that was awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm 

Now this is weird coming from me because i am a big hater on the 2K sports series but MLB 2K9 isn't that bad.It really is a pretty good game.Now for the Good the Bad and the Ugly of the game.

Good
1.New pitching and hitting system that really is pretty good.
2.The catcher can suggest to you what pitch he thinks you should throw and the catcher makes better decisions depending on how good the catcher is in real life.
3.Roster updates more than once a week.Sometimes up to 4 times a week(big plus).

Bad
1.No alternate jerseys is a big disapointment for me.
2.The fastball is the only pitch that you can trust to hit the intended target, everytime i have thrown a curve it has ended up hitting off the dirt.Even though they do swing sometimes.

Ugly
1.One is a big one though for ugly it is the fact that the fielding stinks.On a fly ball you can get right in the circle to catch it and sometimes you just miss it.I mean i know this does happen once and awhile but this is like little league.I would say 2 out of every 15 flyballs either gets dropped or you get clunk on the head with it.It is a game flaw because it doesn't rule it as an error either.

But my overall on this game from 1-10 is an 8.Which is the best i have given a baseball game since MVP Baseball 2005, and on a scale of Buy it, Rent it, or don't bother with it, i would say rent it and see if you like it and if it is what you are looking for in a game buy it.I just re-rented mine for a second week of play because im not sure if i want to buy it yet or not.Im going to play the franchise/career mode next to check out how it is.But as for gameplay its not too bad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:14 am 

EA Sports had the best baseball engine. When they lost the MLB exclusive contract, they transferred the engine to a college baseball game that they produced two of. I have both of the games and I still love the engine although the recruiting feature leaves a ton to be desired.

In other gaming news, NASCAR is talking about following MLB's lead and going non-exclusive. Rumor has it that they loved the Karting game that was produced for the Wii and they're in love with what the Wii could do for them.