Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Season is upon us
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 pm 

As noted in the Rotunda, this is the spot to note your interest in returning. Here is the tally so far:

• Returning Champion Bucfan - Yes
  • Beerman - Yes
  • Burnett Down - Yes
  • Team No Name - Yes
  • Fukodome is my Homie - Yes

Five Year Plan - No

Please add your response. The Yahoo Fantasy Baseball site has the league rosters and your team rosters available here:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... 013/126967

Yahoo Fantasy baseball site opens immediately after the Super Bowl.

Post subject: Re: 2014 Season is upon us
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 pm 

I've really been on the fence on this, but I believe this league has run its course for me. It's gone from my favorite league, to a good league, to well-maybe-its-still-better-than-a-public-league league, to the league I pay the least attention to. It's terribly unbalanced in terms of roster talent and the amount of attention managers pay to their rosters, and just not fun anymore.

Good luck guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 am 

I agree. The ten-man keepers were never really tracked and I really think that's too many. I think I am going to pass this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I may join if you guys ever go to ESPN.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I may join if you guys ever go to ESPN.

Hate the Yahoo site, I take it?

Been there for 7 seasons ... too lazy to undertake all the effort needed to change locations, to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 pm 

I'd be interested in playing. I can't view the league, is it roto, points or H2H? I've been playing about 20 years now. I play 4 leagues per year so let me know ASAP as 3 are committed to either dynasty or keeper leagues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm 

Sorry but I'm out too. To be honest my beef has always been the 10 keepers make it impossible to compete when you start late and inherit a team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:17 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Sorry but I'm out too. To be honest my beef has always been the 10 keepers make it impossible to compete when you start late and inherit a team.

Hmmm, really disappointed to learn that.

I see that the keeper issue is having a negative effect. Any chance we revise the number to 8 keepers this year, and 6 the year after, or something like that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm 

I don't mind keeper leagues, but when you all of the sudden say it's a keeper league and have no balance or tracking of the keepers, people had an unfair advantage over others if you just happened to have a good roster that season. I really don't think it was anyone's fault, but when 40% of your roster is locked in, it can make it hard to compete and anyone who had keepers at that time still has them.

We went thorough a similar situation in another league of mine where we decided to add keepers. Five years was the max and when we first made them keepers, they were tiered. Keeper 1 could be kept for the full five years, keeper 2 for 4 years etc. Now, you can keep anyone you draft or pick up off waivers for a full five years and that's like a 'contract'. Even if they are traded, they keep the contract. The only way the 'contract' resets is if the player is placed on waivers. Guys like Tulo, Felix K, Longoria and Votto are free agents this year so it allows to pick up some pretty good players in the early rounds.

It's too late to go back now and I am not sure what you can do with the current rosters to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I don't mind keeper leagues, but when you all of the sudden say it's a keeper league and have no balance or tracking of the keepers, people had an unfair advantage over others if you just happened to have a good roster that season. I really don't think it was anyone's fault, but when 40% of your roster is locked in, it can make it hard to compete and anyone who had keepers at that time still has them.

It's too late to go back now and I am not sure what you can do with the current rosters to make up for it.

Maybe not. Just make the keeper list 8 players this year, and 6 next season.

That puts a ton of darn good players in the pool, and very much evens out the "keeper advantage."

I proposed this earlier in the thread. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Maybe not. Just make the keeper list 8 players this year, and 6 next season.

That puts a ton of darn good players in the pool, and very much evens out the "keeper advantage."

I proposed this earlier in the thread. What do you think?

My own $0.02 on that proposal- it won't make a lick of difference. The team(s) with more than 8, or 6, or whatever the limit is, will simply trade their excess talent for more 1st round picks, and they'll still end up loaded. Face it, this league has had the same 3-5 teams at the top pretty much every year. I don't see that changing short of a complete re-draft (and I have my suspicions that will do little to change it), and I really have no interest in a re-draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm 

BBF wrote:
My own $0.02 on that proposal- it won't make a lick of difference. The team(s) with more than 8, or 6, or whatever the limit is, will simply trade their excess talent for more 1st round picks, and they'll still end up loaded. Face it, this league has had the same 3-5 teams at the top pretty much every year. I don't see that changing short of a complete re-draft (and I have my suspicions that will do little to change it), and I really have no interest in a re-draft.

Yeah, could be, BBF, but the winners over the past 7 seasons are a mixed group, as follows:

2007 - Road Warriors
2008 - Cleveland Steamers
2009 - Bierbauer's Polka
2010 - Bucfan Marauders
2011 - The Underachievers
2012 - Five Year Plan
2013 - Bucfan Marauders

I understand that there is some overlap in managers in terms of changed team names, but nobody has won back-to-back, and the seven seasons have resulted in 5 different managers winning the title.

Also, some active, new managers can energize the affair. Minsk, Sub2, me, etc. are always making deals, moving players, adjusting the rosters, etc.

You, Dan, 5YP, Chris (Bierbauer's), etc. also work the rosters, and two new managers from last year - Eric (Beerman) and John (Burnett Down) - finished in the top half of the league.

Rich has been in the league since its origin, makes roster moves, makes trades, etc. My son is returning again, and is very active in roster moves, etc.

A pretty good group of managers, overall.

Just my take.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 pm 

Updated roster of managers - 2014:

• Returning Champion Bucfan - Yes
  • Beerman - Yes
  • Burnett Down - Yes
  • Team No Name - Yes
  • Fukodome is my Homie - Yes
  • Substitute2 - Yes
  • bucco boy - after rule clarification, Yes
  • Rich's Best - Yes (since he is a long-time participant and always takes his team)
  • Minsk - Yes (since he is a solid, active owner with a good roster)

Five Year Plan - No
    BBF - No, but I am working on getting him back for one more year. :)
    Willton (Fort Knocks) - no reply yet. I sense a lack of interest ... but I am working on him as well.

If we add 3 new managers, I will say that the talent available to them in the re-distribution draft will be extremely good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Updated roster of managers - 2014:
BBF - No, but I am working on getting him back for one more year. :)

Trading him Mike Trout for Eric Young would go a long way towards convincing him ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am 

BBF wrote:
Trading him Mike Trout for Eric Young would go a long way towards convincing him ;)

Anybody else find it interesting that the two best players in Angels' history are Mike Trout and Tim Salmon??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:38 pm 

Something's fishy about that statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

That might explain the Angels' reported interest in Mike Carp, and former Pirates lefty Brian Bass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

That might explain the Angels' reported interest in Mike Carp, and former Pirates lefty Brian Bass.

Now they just need to move their minor league team to Altoona.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 pm 

11 managers on board, 1 spot remaining.

The 2 new managers are jw1218 and Starling Archer. I therefore have no doubt, at all, but that we will have a 2014 season.

So here is the plan.

(1) The keeper re-distribution draft for our 3 new owners will take place in early March. I propose March 6, 2014.
(2) We designate keeper on or about March 13, 2014.
(3) We have our open draft two weeks later, on March 27, 2014. The season starts March 31. I want to give managers a full 2 weeks to look over the available players and rank the players.

What do the other managers think?

Two issues I need help handling (bucco boy, little help!).

(1) How do we conduct the re-distribution? I used this forum last year, but the problem is that you have to re-load every time to get updates and it was a bit cumbersome.

(2) How do we set the random order for the snake draft? The Yahoo "random order" function is clearly not working. I submitted the random order (co-commissioner with bucco boy), and received the No. 1 pick. Bucco boy re-submitted, as the other commissioner, and he received the No. 1 pick. So that thing is not right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:49 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Two issues I need help handling (bucco boy, little help!).

(1) How do we conduct the re-distribution? I used this forum last year, but the problem is that you have to re-load every time to get updates and it was a bit cumbersome.

Not sure about this one. Yahoo hasn't caught up yet with ESPN and CBS who have live chat rooms for each league. I searched for other chat rooms but couldn't find anything suitable. Unless someone else has another suggestion, we might be stuck with this again.

(2) How do we set the random order for the snake draft? The Yahoo "random order" function is clearly not working. I submitted the random order (co-commissioner with bucco boy), and received the No. 1 pick. Bucco boy re-submitted, as the other commissioner, and he received the No. 1 pick. So that thing is not right.

What I would do is have someone from the board not in the league pick a random order. That way it is someone with no stake in it.