Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Suggested change to fantasy league
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 am 

Bucfan, you know I love you and I agree there is no rule to tell you what you should or should not do. BUT, I do agreee with BBF on this one. Although you are doing what's best for your team, you are affecting the integrity of the league. Sorry, but I am just being honest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
No "real" teams can opt to bench their team and forfeit games.

Oh, I forgot, this is a real league.

Wait ....

Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF has the most to gain by calling you out on this, his team will gain the most points from your and Sub's "strategy."

Do not know who benefits or who does not.

And I don't recall anybody giving a flying fuck when my I was using every possible approach to keep my team competitive as my 4 best players, all top-24 preseason, ALL went on the DL, three for extended stretches.

When Bautista was ruled out for the rest of the year, I looked at the projections for the rest of the season. I made a lot of trade offers to try and get a player to stay in the race.

Two managers did not bother responding.

It was obvious that team was not going to do better than 3rd.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
There is no question that it is against the spirit of the game, in this case the game being a real online competition.

Spare me. We have three managers who have not checked their teams since July.

The simple fact of the matter is that my approach has risks. I have given up better hitting and pitching than team logged at any point before I benched these guys. If those players had produced remotely as well as they have since being benched, I would have believed I had a chance and would have fought on.

But my team was so mediocre and so lacking in dominant players that thinking I was going anywhere was putting hope above reality.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Its your right to do whatever you want (its too late now to do anything), but I'm with BBF that a rule should be in place next year.

I think the league would benefit from more productive rules changes, including unlimited player moves.

If I don't have to worry about using 2% of my player moves on a transaction, then I will be interested deeper into the year since I can try and tweek my roster.

Further, John, how about a rule where if a manager cannot simply ignore his team for months at a time? That might make the league more interesting. Going after me is bullshit, where I at least give a shit and give an effort.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Your strategy seems rather pointless to move up a few slots in what constitutes the 11th round of the draft.

Let me test your fealty to this theory. For example:

My squad will probably wind up 9th. Yours will finish top-3. The difference in draft order is 3-5 spots for your pick at the end of a round to my selection the next round.

Seeing as the difference is so insignificant, according to you, then please accept my trade offer of my 4th (14th) round pick for your 3rd (13th) round pick.

You drop maybe 5 spots, much later than the 11th round.

Deal?

Oh for F's sake, everything is a damn dissertation with you. If you can't see that your acting like a fool then no amount of text will help. I sure would like to see your reaction if you were contending and someone pulled this crap and gave another contender 3 extra points.

And you trade offer is idiotic, my point was more in line with it not being worth pissing off half the league for a few spots. Apparently it is to you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:06 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh for F's sake, everything is a damn dissertation with you. If you can't see that your acting like a fool then no amount of text will help.

Lighten up for crying out loud. It's a FAKE LEAGUE.

Seriously, I am getting lectures about the integrity of a fake league, where nobody said a thing while several managers did not so much as look at their teams for weeks or months on end.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I sure would like to see your reaction if you were contending and someone pulled this crap and gave another contender 3 extra points.

This happens every season when managers disappear.

Apparently, if I had four players still in my starting line-up that were on the DL, or no longer in the majors, then you would be just fine. And if I did not check team for the last 3 1/2 months of the season, it's all good.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
And you trade offer is idiotic, my point was more in line with it not being worth pissing off half the league for a few spots. Apparently it is to you.

There really is nothing more to this other than disagreement as to how valuable draft positioning is. I give it more value than you, because I was thinking about trying to put together a good team next year.

And before you go off on effect on the standings, are you able to specify to whom I am losing points and in what categories?

You won't or can't, but the fact is that I was near the bottom in ERA, WHIP, W's, HR's, and was not going to be able to keep pace in K's and saves as I was well over the IP limit. I was also going to lose ground in HR's and RBI's with Bautista out and Harper struggling.

Sorry to interrupt your personal invective with facts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh for F's sake, everything is a damn dissertation with you. If you can't see that your acting like a fool then no amount of text will help.

Lighten up for crying out loud. It's a FAKE LEAGUE.

Seriously, I am getting lectures about the integrity of a fake league, where nobody said a thing while several managers did not so much as look at their teams for weeks or months on end.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I sure would like to see your reaction if you were contending and someone pulled this crap and gave another contender 3 extra points.

This happens every season when managers disappear.

Apparently, if I had four players still in my starting line-up that were on the DL, or no longer in the majors, then you would be just fine. And if I did not check team for the last 3 1/2 months of the season, it's all good.

Barrys Dopers wrote:

There really is nothing more to this other than disagreement as to how valuable draft positioning is. I give it more value than you, because I was thinking about trying to put together a good team next year.

And before you go off on effect on the standings, are you able to specify to whom I am losing points and in what categories?

You won't or can't, but the fact is that I was near the bottom in ERA, WHIP, W's, HR's, and was not going to be able to keep pace in K's and saves as I was well over the IP limit. I was also going to lose ground in HR's and RBI's with Bautista out and Harper struggling.

Sorry to interrupt your personal invective with facts.

You're the one who needs to lighten up, if you weren't taking things so seriously, you wouldn't be pulling this. And yes, you can calculate how many points will be gained or were gained. Barajas gains 3 points (1 in SB, 1 in K, 1 in W), I gain 1 point in K, PP gains 1 point in SB and may have 1 point in OBP effected.

Sub's punting gives PP 2 points (R and HR), Me 2 points (RBI and W), and Barajas 1 point (W). So all toll its 3 for me and PP, 4 for Barajas, not earth shattering, but also not needed.

Again, I wonder what your reaction would be if someone intentionally started screwing with your race to win.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
[So all toll its 3 for me and PP, 4 for Barajas.

Thank you.

Do you feel stupid for making a stink about a net change of 1 point, total, among 3 teams?

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Again, I wonder what your reaction would be if someone intentionally started screwing with your race to win.

No different than if 25% of the league punted on the season, and if the draft positioning strategy resulted in a difference of 1 freaking point among 3 teams.

In other words, not much since the result is so insignificant.

Again, if a manager can ignore a team for half the season, then you have no business getting your panties in a twist over my punting the last 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
[So all toll its 3 for me and PP, 4 for Barajas.

Thank you.

Do you feel stupid for making a stink about a net change of 1 point, total, among 3 teams?

Barrys Dopers wrote:

No different than if 25% of the league punted on the season, and if the draft positioning strategy resulted in a difference of 1 freaking point among 3 teams.

In other words, not much since the result is so insignificant.

Again, if a manager can ignore a team for half the season, then you have no business getting your panties in a twist over my punting the last 6 weeks.

Ignoring a team's roster management for half a season doesn't have the profound effects on the remaining competition as does playing an empty roster for six weeks. In the case of an ignored roster, there are at least some players playing on the ignored team that other teams have to beat. Furthermore, ignoring a team's roster management is done for innocuous reasons, such as not having the time or not wanting to play. Playing an empty roster to attain higher draft picks is purposeful gamesmanship.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm 

I just saw this thread, but have been fuming about this for awhile.

Buc fan, when you are winning, like last year, you are always on here making comments in a bragging fashion. Because everything is right with your world. Remember...it's a FAKE league. Why feel so good about doing well?

Do you not think the rest of us have had to suffer through injuries? And what...we are supposed to cater to your one sided trade offers to "help keep you competitive"? So what do you do? Take your ball and go home. And it screws up the league. I don't care if it has helped or hurt my chances...it's bullshit. You are a poor sport...and that's putting it mildly. It's bad enough some owners don't pay attention, then you pulled this. Oh...and I knew you'd be the one to pick up that pitcher someone dropped by mistake. Saw that coming a mile away...and I sure as hell didn't buy the excuse you used.

I enjoy talking baseball with you on the board, but hate how you are with the fantasy league.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head
Head-to-head

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:46 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Iuc fan, when you are winning, like last year, you are always on here making comments in a bragging fashion.

Bullshit.

Why don't you find ONE example of me bragging last year.

Go ahead. The stuff is saved.

You are COMPLETELY, TOTALLY WRONG about this.

But don't let facts get in your way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 pm 

Let me find all those examples of me "bragging." Like this???

Bucfan wrote:
We can lobby the commissioner (BBF, take note) to approve a post-trade deadline deal. I am willing to trade Carlos Zambrano for a top-notch closer.

Hurry and accept this offer before I regain my senses, people. The brilliant Carlos Zambrano for a lousy relief pitcher!!

Or this??

Bucfan wrote:
At LONG last, the great and powerful Brett Lawrie - he of the HR's, R's, SB's, RBI's and mind-boggling OBP - has finally, FINALLY been called up to the Blue Jays.

Like the fire department arriving at the smoldering embers of what used to be a 3-story home, Lawrie is too little, too late for the Marauders. Team needed his runs and stolen bases in June.

Not August. Thanks anyway, Lawrie. You owe me 15 HR's and 20 SB's the remainder of the season.

Oh, maybe you meant THIS????

Bucfan wrote:
Nobody in the top 5 is moving in the standings. Just seem to be running place right now, which is great for Barrys but not for the rest of us.

However, if my pitching staff throws out a 3rd straight 1.67 WHIP and 5.00+ ERA, I am going to make a move ... towards 5th place.

How about this unabashed boasting:

Bucfan wrote:
Tulowitzki has a "quad issue" and will miss at least the next 3 games. How is that good news, you ask?

Well, Escobar is still out of the line-up at SS, Lawrie has been on the shelf for almost a month, so a mere 3 games (if my team is that lucky) is a blessing!! :D

Escobar, Lawrie, now Tulowitzki ... the MI position apparently stands for "Many Injuries."

Oh, no, it must have been THIS comment, right???

Bucfan wrote:
Brett Lawrie sustained a fracture of his left hand when he was hit by a pitch a week ago.

He is out for at least two more weeks, after which he goes back to Las Vegas (to get hit again, apparently). He will not join the Blue Jays until July at the earliest.

*&$# me ... Yunel Escobar left yesterday's game with tightness in his quad. Tulo is hitting like my little sister.

Maicer freaking Izturis is going to be my best middle infielder at this rate.

Oh, oh, oh ... this one, right???

Bucfan wrote:
Trade Heath Bell already and make Mike Adams your closer.

Jeez, Louise, you clowns are 11 games under .500 and sinking like an iron life vest. Make the deal already!!

I am done copying and pasting my posts from last year's fantasy baseball forum.

So your entire commentary is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

P.S. When a guy makes a trade inquiry and offers, among others, Konerko, and you don't like the offer, then MAKE A FUCKING COUNTER-OFFER.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Let's settle this...head-to-head.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 am 

Just came across this discussion(?) and know that I'm in the middle of it. For the record, my thinking was that my team got so bad as the year went on that I should think about next year. When I noticed someone else(NO NAME HERE) had benched his team, I thought it made sense to do the same. Next season I would get better drafting.

I am sorry that I did that. I didn't think about hurting those in the hunt, so sorry guys if you think it effected you. But that not the only reason not to do what I did. I cheated myself out of the daily checking of my roster and yours as well. It was much more fun staying with it even though I couldn't win last season. Make any changes you want next year, I will abide by them. And for the record Melky Cabrera sucks!

If I might suggest a change. Keeping 10 players is way too many. That's 120 players gone before the draft. Makes it impossible to compete with all the studs gone. Yes you can find a couple of up and comers but not enough to make you have a chance. I want to play again but I think keeping 5 guys should be plenty, and that still the top 60 guys but leaves much more talent available.