Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 4/25-Game 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36 pm 

First of all, I have to give a shout-out to the busload of students who came to the game with me. As part of my recruitment duties as a Public Safety Director, I go into the local high schools and teach an Emergency Services class during their club activity period for upper grade students who want to segue into the public safety field (everything from nursing to fire/ems/police). Our field trip this year was a tour of Children's Hospital and I challenged the students to buy or collect donations to buy toys for the patients there. The hospital was thrilled with the more than $1,000 worth of toys, books and games. This is by far the most gratifying part of my job!

The bonus was that we used funding provided by a private contributor to the club to attend game one of the double-header yesterday (couldn't get the parent permission slips and bus itinery changed in time to see two).

So with that as the backdrop, you can understand if I couldn't give my full attention to the field, even though the students were exceptionally well-behaved.

It was obvious early on that MacDonald was on his A game. He threw all of his pitches for strikes and completely dominated the first 3 or 4 innings. Then even as he struggled a little bit later, he kept his composure (very good sign) and worked out of the couple of mini-jams he was in. When he came out for the 7th, I ran up to catch Judge for a little bit and we both immediately noticed that he was starting to miss and seemed to be aiming more. Even with that, he didn't self-destruct and could have very easily been out of the inning if the ball to Pedro is one inch closer. The Pirates did a great job of limiting the damage in that inning. Interestingly enough, Judge and I discussed Pedro's struggles right before I left to get back to my seat.

Normally, I wouldn't move from my seat if there was a chance of missing offense, but becasue Mac was throwing the no-hitter when I went visiting, I didn't want to miss him. So as I am heading back down the steps to my section, I hear the roar of the crowd and learn that Pedro had just gone yard. Perhaps the Pirates should pay me to creep around the back sections of PNC when Pedro is up. Whatever it takes!! Anyway, so much for seeing the Pirates offensive production on this day.

Next point: I understand and even support the idea of being aggressive on the bases to generate offense, but do we really have to keep doing it when our absolute best hitter is up? Andrew was visably upset that there was no one left on base when he hit his double in the first inning and he should have been. Clint said we needed to be agressive AND smart...well, we are agressive!

Finally, I absolutely think Tabata looks thicker than last year...less fluid, less athletic looking....a little less like a gazelle and a little more like a moose. I can't say he looks fat, but he does look more bulky and he doesn't look comfortable with it. I already discussed his throw and it was bad...set up poorly, too long to let the ball go and the throw had very little on it....yes, he threw like an old man on THAT given play.

All in all, a great day and even with the frustration of the things we did poorly, I still see the potential and think we will start to turn things around sooner than later. A bad day at the park is still better than a good day at the office!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Game Report 4/25-Game 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 pm 

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but the team has only scored runs in 31 of the 161 innings that it has come to the plate. Thus, in 81% of innings thus far, the Pirates have hung a 0 on the scoreboard. That averages to over 7 innings per game that the Bucs are scoreless. They have scored in 4/9 innings twice; 3/8 (home win) once and 1/9 inning (or 1/8 innings) or been shut out a remarkable 9 times. That's 50% of the games that the Pirates have played that they've plated runs in a single inning or been shut out.

The sun aided, pitcher flustered 5 run innning on Wednesday was surrounding by 7 other zeroes on the scoreboard which followed a game with a single run surrounded by 8 other zeroes on the scoreboard. 15 innings with no runs. 2 scoring innings. That's a recipe for a losing streak.

The Pirates' offense sucks right now and its going to take far more consistent production from numerous people in the lineup for them to have anything resembling a winning streak.

That being written, I told myself that April could kill this team and, if they could somehow keep from drowning early against really tough competition, perhaps a run at .500 wouldn't be out of the question. My fingers are crossed but the offense does not make me hopeful.