Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 11, 2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:52 pm 

I attended today's game down in Port Charlotte versus the Rays with a Rays fan buddy of mine. The themes for today were, in no particular order, little offense, ok pitching and blowing a lead. Some other thoughts:

1. The varsity lineup started today's game and played until the middle innings. Walker played for a little later than the rest of the starters, but I guess that it is to be expected when one has missed time early in the season.

2. Walker was robbed of a homer to left field by the Rays JV outfielder Feliciano early in the game. He made a great jumping catch at the last minute to keep this one in the yard and record the out.

3. Alex Presley almost made a great catch himself in left field, however, the ball came loose at the last second. Even though he dropped it, he made a very noteworthy effort.

4. It was nice to see Pedro smack a dinger today. The ball was well hit and was only true offensive highlight by the starting nine.

5. It appeared that Jake Fox was going to be the hero today with his two out, two strike homer in the top of the ninth. It's a shame that the bullpen blew it for him.

6. Even if it is Spring Training, it stinks to lose in the bottom of the ninth.

7. Hughes pitched an impressive eighth inning, with back to back strikeouts of Lee and Beckham, who are both amongst the Rays' top prospects.

8. The weather was perfect for baseball today. It was sunny, warm and about 80 degrees. On the ride home, the heavens opened and it rained for a majority of the trip. We were lucky that this was such a quick game.

9. Our seats were on the first base side in the second row from the field. The starters for both teams had to pass directly in front of us to get to the locker rooms. It's always nice to see the players down close. The one downside to our seats was that Luis Silverio sometimes blocked my view of the batter, from the angle at which I was sitting and he was standing. When "Joggin' George" Hendrick was coaching first base for the Rays, I never had this obstruction.

10. Charlotte Sports Park has a fantastic beer selection and decent prices for a stadium. Also, the jumbo dog by Kayem is one of the better ballpark franks I have had. Also, it appears that tailgating is allowed before the games. I will have to remember this for return trips 8-)

11. There was a decent showing of Bucs fans in the house. We parked next to a couple vacationing from Pittsburgh whose PA license plate was "Go Bux". Also, I saw a gentleman with a Texas Rangers T-shirt and a Buccos hat. Perhaps it was Rangers owner and Pittsburgh native Chuck Greenberg? :D

That's all that I can think of for now. Next game report will be on March 22 from Bradenton versus the Rays (again).

Last edited by Prince of Pittsburgh on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 11, 2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm 

Thanks for the report, PoP.

Know who was the second most-disappointed at the fact that Walker was robbed of a HR (after Walker)?

Whoever was on deck when the Rays batter won the game with a hit.

Because whoever that guy was, he would DEFINITELY have won the game with the Rays' fourth consective hit in the bottom of the 9th.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 am 

Not only that but Slaten only threw 3 pitches to give up the 3 hits. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Not only that but Slaten only threw 3 pitches to give up the 3 hits. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That is a glitch with the Gameday for spring games. It shows only the result pitch.

If a guy earns a walk, it shows 4 straight balls. If a guy fans, it shows 3 pitches, all strikes. If a player puts a ball in play, it shows only the pitch put in play.

The Bucs Dugout game comments informed me of this point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 pm 

Prince, did Morton start today?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Prince, did Morton start today?

Yes, Morton did start today and it looks like he pitched some scoreless ball, however, Correia pitched the game I attended yesterday (and also pitched some scoreless ball).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think bucs starters have now pitched 10 conscutive scoreless.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:43 pm 

I know it's just spring training, but man is that starting to get me excited. Of course it could all change when we play an actual game, but it sure sounds like Pedro is turning back into 2010 Pedro and the starting rotation will at least be decent again to start the season.