Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 4, 2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

My folks were in town visiting and we went down to the game in windy Bradenton today. Some observations and thoughts:

1. It was windy today with a wind blowing out to left field. It never really let up during the game today.

2. With the wind, it was surprising that there was only one home run hit today and it was hit by Nick Evans. It barely left the yard and would have been a routine pop fly if there hadn't been any wind.

3. The defense was awful today, especially with the replacements that came in after the fifth inning. First base was hardly ever covered and there were lots of dropped balls. Some of the errors could possibly have been due to the wind.

4. Erik Bedard looked poor today and threw a lot of balls. There were a lot of walks by both teams today.

5. Joel Hanrahan looked to be in mid-season form, although, I was surprised to see him in the middle innings today.

6. Rod Barajas had a nice hit, but was thrown out by a mile at second base. With his physique, he reminds me of Mike LaVailliere 2.0. My dad also observed that he appeared to run with a limp. Perhaps that is his regular running form?

7. Number #97 (a minor league pitcher whose name escapes me) recorded one out of the game. He is easily the largest pitcher I have ever seen. My mom nicknamed him "Casey Hampton".

8. I saw Pedro down close by the field before the game. It is the thinnest that I have ever seen him. His new look didn't help him as he looked bad when he struck out in his first at bat.

9. I shook hands with Clint Hurdle before the game and wished him well this season.

10. Today was the spring opener at McKechnie and they gave us a Pirates cup and plate holder that could be attached to the seat in front of you. It was one of the more unique promotions that I have ever gotten, but I would have preferred a schedule magnet.

11. A tabby cat ran out onto the field into the area behind home plate at one point in the later innings. It was a humorous moment to be sure. At least it wasn't a black cat.

12. A "McKechnie Lager" was added to the beer menu at the ballpark this year. According to the tap, it is brewed by Natural Light. Those cheap Nuttings... :D

13. The Bucs added a new twist to the dizzy bat race by having the dizzy contestants race Frank Coonelly 8-)

14, I passed Neil Huntingdon on the way out of the ballpark. He appeared to be in good spirits.

That's all I can think of for now. Next game report will be Sunday March 11 from Port Charlotte.

Go Bucs!

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 4, 2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:07 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
My folks were in town visiting and we went down to the game in windy Bradenton today. Some observations and thoughts:

7. Number #97 (a minor league pitcher whose name escapes me) recorded one out of the game. He is easily the largest pitcher I have ever seen. My mom nicknamed him "Casey Hampton".

That would be Jose Diaz, a veteran right-hander from the Dominican Republic who was in the Orioles system last year. About him, Wilbur Miller has written:

Quote:
Although MiLB.com lists him at 300, he’s probably a good deal heavier than that. Diaz himself has said he’s reluctant to lose weight because he might lose velocity. He’s been very successful as a closer in the Orioles’ system the last two years. The Pirates signed him to a minor league deal for 2012.

Thank you for the report, Prince.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:10 pm 

Thanks for the report Prince. It's hard to get a good grasp from a box score. I noticed Meek's line looked a little rough. Hoping for a better year out of Pedro.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 pm 

Thanks, Prince. I would be jealous of your weather but ...

It was sunny and 80 degrees here today. Got in 9 holes of golf. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:53 pm 

Thanks for the report PoP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:30 pm 

Awesome report!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm 

Great report.

I'm really only concerned with the Bucs staying healthy and Pedro Alvarez gaining some confidence at the dish. If those two things happen, I'll be happy with March.