Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report; Bucs v. Astros 7/16/11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 am 

Hello from Corsair, Mrs. Corsair and J.D.

1. Was kind of surprised at the decent crowd for a late July game between a team 30 games below .500 (not us this time, thank God) and the Pirates. Got to the ticket window and found that all ticket prices were raised ten bucks. Girl at window tried to tell me that it was "preferred opponent seating or some such (when they raise the prices 30 bucks when the Yankees come to town), but it turned out it was "family/faith” or some such night and there was a Christian rock band playing after the game. I was not happy paying ten extra dollars ($50) to sit on the left field side in the boxes that angle towards the plate between the baseline box seats and the Crawford boxes.

2. As the evening wore on, I thought, maybe it’s kind of appropriate that I attend on religion night! I mean how many times have the Pirates made me exclaim JESUS CHRIST the last 18 years or so.

3. Wife liked Minute Maid Park, did not think it was as good as PNC though. She appreciated air conditioning in 90 plus heat and it’s kind of hard not to agree with her, my hatred of roofed stadiums notwithstanding. Minute Maid does have an annoying wall of windows in left field, basically so people can see the downtown skyline and also to give some support for the roof to close. It causes lots of glare and is annoying to spectators and players alike.

4. I brought a note to send up to the Pirate TV announcers and I understand that it was read by Greg Brown. Nice story as to how it got to the booth. I grabbed the first red shirt I could find and he complimented me on my 90s era striped, sleeved, grey road jersey. Turned out his dad went to school with Elroy Face. He pointed me to his supervisor who guaranteed that my missive would make it to the booth. JD got a text in the fifth inning from someone at Dietch’s Bar who heard the shout out. I made sure to find both men and thank them. The Astros will be getting a complimentary phone call on Monday as well.

5. Maholm just did not have it tonight. He kept going deep into counts and letting runners on base. Oh well, move on.

6. Some tantalizing near misses by the Bucco offense early on. Base runners in almost all innings and a line drive with two on and two outs was snared by a great play by Jeff Keppinger. Much different game if a few of those get through. Also a bad night by Cutch at the plate as well, strikeouts and a weak pop up, as part of the oh for five.

7. Nice to see them not roll over and play dead (like they have done in dozens of games during my time here in Tejas). Neil Walker’s homerun was a no doubter. Funny story, I missed Overbay’s, while I was at the rest room. Heard the groans of the Houston faithful but did not know what had caused it. Was at the top of the steps when I saw Wood’s bounce off the Crawford Box just in front of me to tie it. Funny story, got back to my seat and my wife said, “Dear, they hit homeruns when you are gone, but not when you are here. Why don’t you go away again?”

8. I was going to criticize this move at the time, not just in hindsight, but what was with Hurdle using his bull pen for one inning at a time? McCutchen comes in for a solid 6th and then gets taken out for Resop in the seventh, and then for Veras in the 8th. What? Can’t anyone pitch more than one inning? Karstens kept the bullpen completely rested on Friday. What was with that?

9. I don’t mind the “you lose 54 games” as much as I do the ones where they piss away the “win 54s”. That eighth inning was a wreck. Let’s start with the walk to Pence to lead off the inning. Veras didn’t get a single strike one against any batter he faced! This guy is not 8th inning material. And then let’s let Pence just walk over to 3rd in a steal that caught everyone so flatfooted there was not even a throw! And the less said about Wood’s error the better. Bucs should not have left that inning any worse than tied and instead are down by two! (I understand the umpire blew the call on the throw home with the drawn in infield, but still, that was only the tying run, if I recall)

10. Lots of Bucco fans here tonight and it was nice to hear cheers when the Bucs did something. Saw a bunch of different shirts. One guy had a Kendall Jersey and the 80s pillbox style hat.

11. Overall a decent night at the ball yard, Bucs came back, Astros didn’t fold. Wife and Cousin enjoyed their first time at Minute Maid Park. Hope we can see the Bucs here in August and that it will really matter.

Post subject: Re: Game Report; Bucs v. Astros 7/16/11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:00 am 

Great Report Corsair!

The shout out to the board was cool!

Regarding the bullpen...that has been my biggest complaint about Hurdle. It's obvious that on some nights, particular pitchers just don't have it. When they do, there is no harm in letting them go a second inning. A few weeks back, we had a game with a huge lead, and instead of letting Veras pitch the 8th and 9th, (which would have earned him a save since we scored our runs in the 8th), Hurdle pulled him and brought in someone else. To me, that is a waste of a pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:13 am 

Indeed, thanks, Corsair! And thanks for the on air plug for the UPPMB, that was cool.

So what are you going to do if realignment happens and the Astros get moved into the AL West?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 am 

There aren't many things I can complain about in regards to Hurdle. This, however, has always bothered me about him. I'm not sure if the pitcher spot came up to bat in the bottom of the 7th, but I am extremely confident in Resop's ability to go and finish the 8th inning too and keep the lead for Hanrahan. Like someone else said, Karstens threw a CG yesterday and our entire bullpen was rested coming off the ASB, there's no reason one of our pitchers couldn't have gone two innings. I have all the faith in the world in Clint Hurdle and will continue to as the year goes on and will not let something like this bother me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the report Corsair. I can't understand why Resop didn't continue to pitch into the 8th inning. Veras should have been pulled after he walked the leadoff batter (Pence).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
2. As the evening wore on, I thought, maybe it’s kind of appropriate that I attend on religion night! I mean how many times have the Pirates made me exclaim JESUS CHRIST the last 18 years or so.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic report Corsair! I didn't hear it but thanks for the UPPMB shout out! :D

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the report Corsair. Sounds like you had fun. Nice comment from the Mrs. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)