Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 7/10/11 - Cubs at Pirates
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:03 pm 

1. What can I say about Maholm? Totally all over it today, changing speeds, throwing strikes, I don't remember a hard ball hit off of him besides a couple of Ramirez foul balls. He was even dialed in at the plate, collecting a walk that started the 4-run rally in the 3rd, and then a solid base hit the next inning. Outstanding, just outstanding.

2. Not to diminish Maholm's achievement, but boy, did the Cubs ever mail it in today. You could tell just from their body language that they just wanted to get this game overwith and get on vacation. If I were a Cubs fan, I would be pissed about their effort today ... but then again, if I were a Cubs fan, I'd probably be too drunk and oblivious to notice.

3. Who else really likes Walker batting in front of McCutchen instead of behind him? Seems to me he benefits more from A-Cutch's protection more than A-Cutch needs his. Like to see this continue after the break.

4. How much discussion has been partaken on the board so far this year about Overbay's mediocre defense? Being a sure-handed first baseman on the company softball team, this is the one area of baseball that I have any expertise in whatsoever, and as I sat close up in Section 108 today, I was thoroughly unimpressed.

5. As a sign that interest in Pirates baseball is indeed on the upswing, I present my Mom. My phone rang in between the 3rd and 4th innings today; it was Mama Landis, asking me "Is that guy with the dreadlocks the guy you were talking about who's so good? Wow, he really hit that ball far!" This after another call Saturday morning, when she asked me "So who's that pudgy little guy with the receding hairline who got called out for an encore last night?" Go Mom!

Post subject: Re: Game Report 7/10/11 - Cubs at Pirates
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
3. Who else really likes Walker batting in front of McCutchen instead of behind him? Seems to me he benefits more from A-Cutch's protection more than A-Cutch needs his. Like to see this continue after the break.

I like it since it is working. When Alvarez returns to the line-up, he will bat 6th against righties, I imagine, with Jones batting 5th.

A line-up with Presley, Tabata, Walker, McCutchen, Jones, and Alvarez 1-6 is pretty darn good.

Judge Landis wrote:
4. How much discussion has been partaken on the board so far this year about Overbay's mediocre defense?

Az has commented on this point 3 or 4 times. I have referenced it once, that I recall.

So, yes, it has been a topic of discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the game report Judge!

It must have been a great game to be at as much as it was to watch on TV!

GO BUCS!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Overbay's defense has been used as a, well, defense of his continued play. I was one. However, other than his ability to scoop badly thrown balls, there has not been much more.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:39 pm 

I return back to the board today and OMG to my amazement, Judge Landis has as well.

Gotta love the recap, just like old times.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Judge Landis wrote:
4. How much discussion has been partaken on the board so far this year about Overbay's mediocre defense?

Az has commented on this point 3 or 4 times. I have referenced it once, that I recall.

So, yes, it has been a topic of discussion.

Come on Bucfan, maybe you're blocking it out, but we've discussed this quite a bit, including the fact that Jones rates better defensively at 1B than Overbay. It also was a sticking point when Overbay was signed. By baseball reference total zone he scored as an above average defender, but by UZR he scored as average at best. His so-called scoop ability didn't look too pretty this weekend and we know his range is poor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 am 

Overbay seemed to have a little chip on his shoulder too after removal from Sat. game. He did not exactly get out of the box and go hard on his 3 ground outs prior to his seeing eye single late in the game whcih he didn't exactly go hard on either. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 am 

Hello Eric. Nice to see you back again and posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am 

Eric Bowser wrote:
Gotta love the recap, just like old times.

Except it summarized a dominating win . . . ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:52 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Overbay seemed to have a little chip on his shoulder too after removal from Sat. game. He did not exactly get out of the box and go hard on his 3 ground outs prior to his seeing eye single late in the game whcih he didn't exactly go hard on either. :roll: :roll: :roll:

He also didn't run on a dropped strike 3 on Friday, granted it only rolled a few feet away to the catcher's left.

He has to see the writing on the wall, you can't bench Presley and Jones is outhitting Lyle by a wide margin (plus Pearce is nearing a return). He is also still playing a worse 1B than Jones last year (-13.5 UZR/150 vs -6.2 UZR/150)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:59 pm 

Doesn't set a good example for the younger players either. 8-)