Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Indianapolis vs. Louisville 7/9/2011
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 am 

I went to my second game at Victory Field in Indianapolis tonight, the first since 09, when the Indians were not in very good shape (Ian Snell was on the mound for that game). I will start off by saying that, as I had remembered from a few years ago, Victory Field definitely deserves the "best minor league ballpark" accolades that I have seen it garner several times. It has a very cool atmosphere in the heart of downtown Indy, where the entrance to the ballpark really kind of comes out of nowhere. There is a large lawn in the outfield that at least a few hundred people took advantage of. Overall, very nice crowd of 12,514. Given that Indy is only about an hour and a half drive from Cincy, there were naturally quite a few Reds fans there to see the Bats. I probably saw around 15-20 people in Pirates apparel, and the rest was a combination of local Indians fans or just randoms (for example, saw an uncanny amount of Cubs gear, even prior to the game when eating dinner). One really cool thing about the ballpark is that they have some pretty cool banners hanging up around the concourse - and also a video that plays on the jumbotron prior to the game, of some of the all-time great Indians, from Harmon Killebrew to Randy Johnson to Andrew McCutchen.

- There were only 6 hits in the game, 3 by the Indians and 3 by the Bats, but I'll try to hit on whatever I saw as significant.

- Sean Gallagher pitched an absolute gem for the Indians, going 7 scoreless innings while striking out 7 and walking 0. He coasted through 7 with just 89 pitches and dominated the Louisville players, rarely ever getting behind. Just an extremely efficient outing.

- Louisville gave both Yonder Alonso and Devin Mesoraco, perhaps the Reds two best prospects, the night off.

- Jordy Mercer crushed his first AAA HR in the first to deep left. Overall numbers still down but his last few games have been encouraging since his promotion. Mercer also made a nice leaping grab and doubled off recently demoted Reds SS Paul Janish to end the game.

- Matt Hague hit a RBI double to the gap (advancing to third on throw home) for an insurance run late in the game, which scored Alvarez from first. More on Alvarez next, but it was nice to see his hustle from first to home considering all of the quad problems.

- Pedro Alvarez only saw 3 plate appearances and went 0-2 while drawing a BB. He hit a sharp grounder down the first baseline which bounced right to the first basemen, and had a disappointing AB which saw a barely struck ball bounce about a foot in front of the plate. He drew a full count BB late in the game and scored on the Hague double. He has been drawing a lot of BBs on this rehab stint (now regular assignment), which is good, but he is also looking at a lot of strikes. It's understandable that he has been so hesitant at the plate.

- Alvarez also made a great defensive play, making a diving stop at a ball and quickly spinning up and delivering a strong throw.

- Corey Wimberly looked very bad in just about every aspect. His ABs were ugly, though I am probably over-exaggerating a bit because I can't get over the fact that I saw him literally step back out of the batter's box before a pitch got to the catcher, which ended up being a fastball right down the middle. After legging out an infield single, he was easily picked off by the Louisville pitcher a pitch or two later.

- Justin Thomas and Tim Wood each pitched a scoreless inning of relief while giving up one hit. Gorkys Hernandez made a nice diving attempt on a shallow single in the 9th, which he might have caught, but it was ruled a hit. I'm not really sure why the Indians bat Hernandez 8th.

Overall, a nice game. The Indians were not quite as interesting as they were say a month ago when Presley, d'Arnaud and Harrison were still there, but I was looking forward to catching Hague, Mercer, Gorkys and Pedro's rehab.

Last edited by TheShark on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Indianapolis vs. Louisville 7/9/2011
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:16 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great report! Everything I've heard is Victory Field is spectacular. I do find it odd they are still the Indians though. :?

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Great report! Everything I've heard is Victory Field is spectacular. I do find it odd they are still the Indians though. :?

Thanks.

Victory Field also had their 9 millionth fan at Saturday's game.

I wish the Indians still used their old, Expos-style logos. I find the current one rather ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 am 

Thanks for the wrap-up! Strange that Gallagher can go out and have a performance like this after getting routinely crushed for about 9 runs in every other start this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 pm 

TheShark wrote:
I wish the Indians still used their old, Expos-style logos. I find the current one rather ugly.

Other people agree with you. Bleacher Report, in a slide show of the 50 worst logos in pro baseball, ranks Indy's 5th:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/701450-the-50-worst-logos-in-baseball-history?utm_source=outbrain.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=bestof#/articles/701450-the-50-worst-logos-in-baseball-history/page/5