Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belated Curve Game Report
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:30 pm 

I attended the Senators/Curve game on Friday, June 24. Left for vacation the next morning, so I haven't had time to report. Until now...

First of all, Jeff Locke looked pretty good. Fastball was consistently at 87-88, and must have had good movement. I couldn't really tell from where I was sitting down the first base line. Had to rely on the score board and hitters' reactions. His breaking ball was 77-79 mph. THe third time through the order, he mixed something else in that he hadn't thrown all game, but I'm not sure what it was. Despite the velocities I mentioned, he not just a pitch to contact guy, as his K/BB numbers will point out. He misses the bat frequently. And he is not just a ground ball guy either. He had lots of fly balls. Seems like he likes to elevate his fastball kind of like a Sid Fernandez. Anyway, he pitched 6 scoreless with 3 hits.

I really like Jordy Mercer. Slender, rangy, athletic build that would play well at SS. Had a nice, smooth, quick feed to Holt to start a DP. and displayed a good arm. At the plate, he showed 2 strike patience, and drilled a triple to right center. He can run, too.

Tony Sanchez didn't do too much at the plate, but also demonstrated discipline with two strikes. By the way, they were facing an absolute stud in Brad Peacock for the Senators. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pitching for the Nats before season's end. Back to Sanchez, he made a couple real good blocks and was quite active back there. He also threw out a would be base stealer. I see why they say his defense is ahead of his offense.

Starling Marte impressed me with his arm, legs, and glove. He also had a single to lead off the game. He went back to the track in center to catch a deep fly ball with one out and a runner on first in a scoreless game. Sensing the importance of the game situation (scoreless), he set up behind the ball , caught it, crow hopped, and threw an absolute seed to second. Swear it never got more than 8 feet off the ground.

Bryan Morris pitched a scoreless inning or two in relief. I went down to watch him warm up. You can loterally stand 10 feet away from them when they throw. The first thing I noticed is how much bulkier he looks this year than last, particularly through the neck, shoulders and chest. I didn't get any radar reading on him. More later as I remember...

Post subject: Re: Belated Curve Game Report
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm 

between cutch, tabata, presley, marte, and the productive hernandez, our outfield looks crowded for the upcoming years, not to mention others that will be signed and drafted.....good problem to have, I hope few turn into a chris duffy, who had me ready to crown him an all star his first year then he came down to earth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 pm 

doug, thank you for the report. Up here, I am not going to get to watch Starling Marte play until he is in the Indianapolis outfield -- probably next year -- and Indy is at Pawtucket. But every night I check the Altoona website, and every night he seems to have at least one hit. Your impressions pretty much confirm the reasons why he made the EL all-star team.

Don't know what to make of Bryan Morris anymore, but you suggest he looks to have bulked up some. There's still hope for him, but it would be nice if he didn't keep getting hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:18 pm 

Oh, funny moment from the game, at least for me. Tony SAnchez is as knock-kneed as Bryan Morris is bow-legged. Tony went out to the mound for a visit, and together they spelled "Ox." And believe me, it was upper case O, small x.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 pm 

Did Jose Hernandez play for Altoona when you were there?

And no, it's not the Kose Hernandez that Jim Tracy had a fetish for...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 am 

He didn't play that night, I don't believe.