Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WV Power @ Greensboro, Pt. 1 (featuring ZVR, Maggi, Howard)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:29 pm 

Well the low-A West Virginia Power made their way to Greensboro, NC for the first time this year on Sunday for a 4pm start time with heavy rains in the forecast for early evening. I made some calls, found out that Zack Von Rosenberg was the scheduled starter and left work a couple hours early to get to beautiful NewBridge Bank Park at about 3:20. NewBridge is right in the heart of downtown Greensboro (and thus a little reminiscent of PNC) and is walking distance from my apartment, although on this 95 degree afternoon I decided I could part with 3 bucks for parking.

I spent the pregame watching warmups, just seeing who I could identify. I didn't see Taillon, but a buddy of mine who got there a few minutes before I did was showing off a few autographs from no. 46. Watched ZVR warming up. A phrase I've heard a lot to describe him is "projectable frame," and that is no lie. He and 46 both are very physically mature pitchers.

Despite West Virginia's utter lack of good hitting prospects, they got on the board in the first when Drew Maggi led off with a single and UVa's Daniel Grovatt doubled a batter later. These two would lead the offensive attack all afternoon, as Maggi singled in his first 3 appearances (and batted twice in the 5th) and Grovatt finished 3-4 with a walk and 4 RBI. Kevin Mort hit his first professional home run, a three-run shot that capped a seven-run fifth inning, and first baseman Justin Howard added a solo homer in the later innings to round out the scoring.

Howard is having a pretty good year in his first full pro season. He hit .341 in the GCL last year after being selected in the 24th round. This year the lefty is hitting .268 with 18 doubles, 2 triples and 4 HR in 224 AB. If you look at it, first basemen are producing at every level of our farm system. Matt Hague, Matt Curry, Aaron Baker and Justin Howard are all having seasons that will improve their value quite a bit(and in Curry's case, improve it drastically). Wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of these guys moved to another system around the deadline.

Drew Maggi hasn't performed offensively this year or last, despite his nice game yesterday. His defense, though, is phenomenal. He drew oohs and aahs from the sparse Greensboro crowd by stabbing a pair of line drives on SportsCenter-worthy plays. I'm certainly hoping to see his average continue to climb so we can see Drew move up in the system.

Zack Von Rosenberg pitched a solid 5 innings. The game featured an hour-and-a-half rain delay between the third and fourth innings, so I'm not sure how that affected his pitch ceiling. He went 3-0 on his first batter and then allowed a hard double to left, which had me nervous that he had another rough outing ahead of him. But ZVR settled down, and put together a nice, quiet scoreless five innings. He only allowed two more hits the next five innings, walked none and struck out three. I'm really glad to see Zack turning it around; despite getting shelled last time out he's had three good starts in his last four. His fastball was 88-91 (as advertised) with good breaking stuff around 80-82.

Trent Stevenson, who has also struggled this year, came on in the 6th inning and promptly gave up a bomb to the Grasshoppers' DH. He got tagged, a lot; he gave up several fly balls including a couple to the warning track but he made it work, only allowing two other hits in four innings (both two-out singles in separate innings). He has a little bit of an awkward delivery, but I guess that's to be expected when a guy is 6'6" and 175 lbs. His fastball comes in at 90-91 with breaking stuff 77-81.

More to come after tonight's game; Tyler Waldron starting for WVP.

Post subject: Re: WV Power @ Greensboro, Pt. 1 (featuring ZVR, Maggi, Howa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:33 pm 

Great report and that stadium looks awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the great write up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 pm 

Impressive-looking stadium. Thank you for the report -- especially your perspectives on Howard, Maggi, and ZVR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm 

Wow, what a great park. And your report kept pace, TTH.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 pm 

Thanks guys, it's certainly a great place to see a game. A couple things I missed:

1. Just so no one thinks other, that is not my picture.
2. Final was 10-1 WVP.
3. ZVR's line: 5 IP/3 H/0 BB/3 K/0 ER
4. Trent Stevenson's line: 4 IP/3 H/0 BB/3 K/1 ER

Heading out soon for Tyler Waldron (5-3, 3.44) vs. Kyle Winters (6-3, 5.10).