Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Bucs vs. Tigers 5/22/11
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:16 pm 

I was at the ballpark today and will give a little re-hash of the game from my perspective in the stands. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures this time.

It was really sunny and warm for today's game. I definitely should have brought sunscreen. Even though I know better, I still always forget to put that stuff on. Due to the nice weather, there was a really nice turnout at the ballpark. I was also at the game on Friday where there seemed to be a pretty nice turnout and drove down to go to the game last night but I couldn't even get near the place. There wasn't a parking garage that had any spaces available by the time I got down there (including downtown). I really wanted my Neil Walker bobblehead and to see the ballgame but got so disgusted after sitting in traffic for over an hour that I just turned around and went home. As we drove around we saw how packed the ballpark was. I think there were more people there yesterday than attended opening day.

I was starving when I got to the park today so I decided to try the stuffed pepper sandwich. I wrote in an earlier game report about the contest between this sandwich and the pulled pork pierogi stacker. Whatever sandwich is purchased more by the All-Star break will become a permanent menu item while the other fades into the sunset. Since I tried the pierogi stacker before, I chose the stuffed pepper sandwich and was not disappointed. To be perfectly honest, I think they should keep both as regular menu items because they're much better than a lot of what you can get at the park. The stuffed pepper sandwich featured spicy italian sausage, banana peppers, and marinara sauce on a sausage sandwich type of bun. If I made it at home, I would have been proud so I would give it a 7/10 for quality.

The ballgame itself (performance by our Buccos-wise) proved to score a lower rating. Porcello pitched a no-hitter into the 6th inning and we finished the game with two measly hits.

The story of the day could very well be Paul Maholm once again got no run support. Maholm has done a really nice job this season and it's a shame that the team just doesn't score runs when he takes the mound. His 1-7 record is extremely misleading and that's why a lot of people don't like the W-L as a statistic. Either way, he was tagged with a loss again today despite turning in a good start and giving the Buccos a chance.

The bullpen was also good. Daniel McCutchen came in and pitched very well. Ascanio and Beimel were also good enough today. One thing that I noticed about Ascanio is that he seems to really take his time on the mound. I don't know if it's just that he's very methodical or just likes to take his time, but it sure seemed like he was in no hurry to pitch (unlike some other pitchers). Just comparing him to our other pitchers he seems to drag things out a bit pre-pitch.

Although there wasn't much offense to speak of, I don't think it was as bad as the scoreline indicates. There were quite a few hard hits from a number of Pirates players that were just hit right at defenders. Walker's liner straight at Porcello comes to mind. Overbay hit the ball deep near the notch and a few other players had similar at bats. You have to hit 'em where they a'int and unfortunately today we couldn't do that.

It's also not that we didn't have chances. We had numerous occasions where we could have manufactured a few runs. It seemed every time we had an opportunity, though, Jose Tabata was there to spoil it. Tabata hit into a big double play that ended an inning with runners at the corners. Our fortunes never changed as later we had two men on in the 9th inning and no outs and still couldn't make anything happen against Valverde. I will point out that the energy level in the stadium was pretty nice for McCutchen's at bat after Paul singled. I really thought something was going to happen there.

The kids took home a Pirates beach towel with the pierogies on it.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Bucs vs. Tigers 5/22/11
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 am 

Thanks for the game report NDL. Lousy game for Buc fans. The food sounds great at PNC and the pierogie beach towel looks cool...at least on TV it did!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm 

The food at PNC, overall, isn't that bad. It's nice to have options like Primati's, Manny's and We Are Famalee. They really help break up the monotony of hot dogs, nachos, and burgers. Those things are all good in their own right but it sure is nice to have options.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:24 pm 

Great report, NDL. Too bad the Buccos could not bring home 5 for .500 for you.