Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: May 3, 2008
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:12 pm 

I am in the DC area visiting family this weekend and we attended today's game at Nationals Park. Some thoughts:

1. Nationals Park is a nice facility. The seating areas provide great views of the action, the scoreboard is the nicest I have ever seen and the concourses are wide. The biggest downside is that most of the monuments that highlight the DC skyline aren't visible from most of the park. From where I was sitting, most of the Capitol was blocked by a small high rise office building. The park could have been in an office park in Northern Virginia and I wouldn't have known the difference. Additionally, there are no bars, restaurants or anything of the sort in the neighborhood. Onto some baseball talk:

2. We all knew Maholm was due for a bad game and he delivered on it today. His pitch count was close to 60 in the second inning. Hopefully, he will return strong in five days.

3. Osoria should be cut and Burnett should be on this team. Every time I see Osoria throw, he gives up runs. Maybe I am bad luck.

4. Adam LaRoche had two hits today. Is this his first multi-game hit of the season.

5. Bautista is only 6 games away from tying Dale Long for the consecutive game home run mark. I missed his dinger because I was in the beer and hotdog line. BTW, the footlong dogs aren't bad, but were a little overcooked.

6. Speaking of Bautista, he made a nice diving catch in the later innings. Jason Bay also made a nice shoestring catch.

7. Other than the above-mentioned catches, the defense was gawd awful. Balls were dropped and misplayed on routine plays. I have never seen Pirate defense this bad. Defense drills should be required by Russell before every game. This game would have easily been won by the Bucs if they had even a mediocre defense.

8. JVB pitched 1.1 scoreless innings. Hopefully, it is finally coming together for him this time around.

9. Today's game was a tribute game to the Negro Leagues. Josh Gibson's great-grandson threw out the first ball. Both teams wore Homestead Grays jerseys, as the Grays played "home" games in both Pittsburgh and Washington, DC. The PA announcer introduced both teams as the Grays and they showed Negro League highlights between innings.

10. There were lots of Pirate fans in attendance today. Perhaps 20% of the crowd were cheering the Bucs. I saw another person wearing my "Rebuilding since 1992" t-shirt and got many compliments on mine.

That's all I can think of for now. Next game report will likely be from Florida in March.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: May 3, 2008
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 pm 

Thank you, Prince. Interesting perspectives, and much appreciated. Sorry you couldn't have witnessed a W.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:27 pm 

Nice report, Prince.

I believe that the Pirate offense is starting to make progress. 8 runs, even with Doumit on the bench. If Nady, Bay, Mclouth, Doumit get some help from a fifth guy - Laroche, Bautista, Sanchez, Jack Wilson, whoever - then the offense will put up some runs.

The starting pitching? Troubling. A zillion first round picks on starting pitchers and the depth is non-existent. Snell, Maholm and Gorzellany have to be consistently good since Duke and the no. 5 starter are going to have problems.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

Agreed on Osoria...

2008: 21.2 innings pitched, 36 hits, 17 runs

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:56 pm 

IA Bucco wrote:
Agreed on Osoria...

2008: 21.2 innings pitched, 36 hits, 17 runs

Here is another vote on the "dump Osoria" bandwagon.

He just is not good. He is hit way too hard by right-handers. Lefties have always killed him and that will not change, but he used to be able to get righties. That is no longer true, since right-handers are hitting .373 off him this season, with a slugging over .600.

Just awful.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:53 pm 

Thanks for the report PoP.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:08 am 

Great game report as usual, PoP. Merci beaucoup.