Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report: Bucs vs. Cubs 5/5/10
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:29 am 

The weather was absolutely gorgeous tonight. I can't think of a more pleasant evening weather wise at the ballpark all season yet. The temperature was just warm enough to be comfortable and a cool breeze felt amazing.

In a way it felt good just to be back at the ballpark. A Pirates win always feels better than a loss but no-matter the outcome, tonight was destined to feel good. Probably the best thing was that I had just finished up one of my four finals this morning. The ballpark was the perfect place to forget about that awful experience.

In terms of the game itself, I don't really have all that much to say. The bats got hot at the same time and that's really what put us out in front 3-0. I was feeling a little nervous when the Cubs came back with their own 2 run inning. I was kind of thinking here we go again with Charlie. Luckily, he held his composure despite the rough inning and left with a 3-2 lead intact.

The double that Garrett Jones hit was absolutely smoked. It might have been the hardest hit ball I have personally witnessed all season.

I'm not quite sure why we used Meek in the 7th inning. I thought at first he might be coming in because Morton had already hit in the bottom of the 6th and then we could get two innings out of him but that wasn't the case. I admit I wasn't paying attention to who he was brought in to face, etc. but I kind of expected him to come in for the 8th. In the end it didn't matter: Hanrahan came in and pitched a really nice 8th inning and Meek got us out of that 7th rather easily. When Meek is in the game, he really gets guys out and takes control. He might be the most dominant pitcher on our staff right now. He just has amazing stuff.

Morton looked good tonight. I think when he gets in a jam things tend to compound for him. I know the knock on him is that he's kind of a headcase and that's probably true. These games when he pitches well are a real teaser for what kind of pitcher he could be, though. I'll take it!

McCutchen very nearly had an automatic triple because the ball he hit when he got the double was very near the notch out in LF. Anytime he hits it there you may as well score a triple because he can absolutely fly. We all knew this already, of course.

Carlos Marmol is an absolute stud. He's a very difficult pitcher to hit.

Now, a confession to make. I missed Church's HR. Here is the beer that kept me from seeing it:

Last edited by NDL on Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game report: Bucs vs. Cubs 4/5/10
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 am 

You DRINK the beer, NDL, you don't photograph it.

Glad you witnessed a good game. Morton threw well, obviously, with 0 walks and very few pitches thrown for 6 innings.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am 

Looks like you had pretty nice seats. Lots of leg room.

Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:36 am 

Didn't know they still sell Duke at the ballpark. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
You DRINK the beer, NDL, you don't photograph it.

Glad you witnessed a good game. Morton threw well, obviously, with 0 walks and very few pitches thrown for 6 innings.

Oh, I drank it!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great report but the best part is the pictures. They really personalize the game experience! Great beer pic!

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1