Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report (such as it is) 4/30/10
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:11 am 

Random observations:

(1) Dodgers tickets have become ridiculously expensive. Seats down the LF line, about 40' past third base, loge level, $55 each.

(2) Pirates have moderated the shift somewhat. Church was in LF, and was further towards the left-center gap than the Dodgers left-fielder, but was not 60' over.

(3) Doumit has a swing that looks like he will be lucky to put the bat on the ball. Next pitch, bat is on the ball, base hit.

(4) Andy should have stuck with singles.

(5) Morton deserved better. The Crosby error was embarrassing. He had a nice hop and just muffed it. Clement's error was a bit tougher play, but it looked like the ball was right at him.

Just don't understand why Morton has such trouble. He had a ton of swing-and-miss pitches and was lighting up the gun. I suspect that the Dodgers monkey with the radar gun mph readings. Seemed to me that Morton was throwing much harder than Billingsley, but was noted as being even or just a tad faster. Not that way I saw it.

The Ethier HR took the life out of the game. Pirates just had nothing going. The Loney HR was in the inning where Morton had to get 5 outs. Loney was ripping Morton, which made little sense since Loney sucks and has struggled mightily this year.

Not really as much fun as we were hoping. Game stunk for the Pirates. Very little to get excited about. What, Morton should have given up 3 runs in 6 innings? I guess he and Doumit were the highlights for the lowlight of a game.

Pirates losing streak with me in attendance has to be 10. Not many Pirate fans in attendance. There used to be at least 50 of us, wearing Pirates gear. Tonight, saw maybe 20 people with Pirates gear on.

Post subject: Re: Game report (such as it is) 4/30/10
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 am 

Thanks for the report Bucfan. Hey, Morton managed to drop his ERA almost four runs to 12.57 because of last night's performance! 3 earned runs over 6 innings and 8 k's to 2 walks. There is hope for him yet.........think positive!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:27 am 

And one of the walks was intentional. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:00 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Random observations:

Pirates losing streak with me in attendance has to be 10. Not many Pirate fans in attendance. There used to be at least 50 of us, wearing Pirates gear. Tonight, saw maybe 20 people with Pirates gear on.

Dude, two more and you equal my Houston streak of 12. Bad luck to at that! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:07 am 

At least Morton pitched something close to a major league pitcher. His fastball is just hittable for some reason. Maybe he needs to hide the ball better on his delivery.

On the Ethier home run, Doumit called for the ball thigh high on the inner half of the plate. Why I don't know. Morton hit the spot exactly and Ethier jacked it out. If it's in another 3 inches it's a great pitch.

We need to get Pearce up here because Clement is too much of an easy out most days.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:38 pm 

I'm not too disappointed with yesterday's game. I may have been if I were at the game and didn't get to see the team at home at PNC. You don't get as many opportunities to see the team as I do.

Morton had a pretty good outing yesterday. He was certainly much better than he had been in his previous starts. Just getting into the 6th inning was a big thing for him. I expect to see him continue to improve.

I think that, in itself was pretty big for the Buccos yesterday. Luckily they didn't have to tear through the bullpen as they did on Morton's other starts.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:42 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
On the Ethier home run, Doumit called for the ball thigh high on the inner half of the plate. Why I don't know. Morton hit the spot exactly and Ethier jacked it out. If it's in another 3 inches it's a great pitch.

Pirate pitchers challenge inside more than any other team I have seen. Most pitchers go after the inside corner once per at bat, or challenge inside on an 0-2 count and keep the ball off the plate, inside.

Pirate pitchers go after the inside corner time after time. That is good, make no mistake, but the problems are two-fold:

(1) Umpires don't call strikes on the inside corner as readily as they do the outside corner.
(2) Mistakes on the inner half are home runs, not singles and doubles.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:15 pm 

At least Charlie hung in there and didn't completely fall apart. Which after the 2nd HR I was completely expecting that to happen. I agree with what Rock was saying on the telecast...until he has much better command of his curveball...stick with the slider. The curve gets him into hitters counts and like Ralphie said..93-95 mph or not...it's hittable. Outside of Cutch...pretty ugly defense last night..also on the telecast they were mentioning Zach said he had "found something" in his delivery or mechanics or something...but said things should be different tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:37 pm 

The other issue he has is his fastball is 93-95 and his curveball is slower than his changeup; it was coming in high 70s last night. Changeup was 81+. With that kind of difference in speed it's easier for a hitter to recognize and lay off of it. The slider, on the other hand, comes in much quicker.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm 

Rocco, on his pregame show lastnight, had some sort of metric formula talking about Morton's stuff and it seems that his pitches have lost some movement and his fastball is his least reliable pitch right now...

There must be nerdy gnomes that are good with math and geography hiding in all MLB stadiums to figure this stuff out...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:35 pm 

It was reported in the Pub last night that the crew on MLB Network was breaking down Morton and demonstrated that he may be tipping his pitches. He moves his head to one side during the windup and delivery of his breaking pitches.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 am 

BBF wrote:
It was reported in the Pub last night that the crew on MLB Network was breaking down Morton and demonstrated that he may be tipping his pitches. He moves his head to one side during the windup and delivery of his breaking pitches.

Bucfan has postulated this previously. There is simply no way hitters are going to wait on his curve, as Loney did, since he throws the damn fastball at 93+ mph. If a hitter cheats and looks breaking ball, and Morton throws a fastball, the hitter is totally f*****.