Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indy report/April 29
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 am 

For those interested, tonight's game was exceptional only in the sense that Daniel McCutchen turned in a strong outing -- going 7 full innings and giving up only 1 run on 5 hits. He K'd 3, walked 2, and hit one batter (on the foot). In fact, nobody got a hit off him for the first 3-1/3 innings, and even then the first was only a soft line drive that Pearce dived for and almost caught before it rolled into RF.

Pawtucket's only run came on a HR on the first pitch of the 6th inning when McCutchen began to labor. In the opening innings he was throwing 89-92 m.p.h., but that dropped to 81-84. He was consistently missing the strike zone over his final two innings, running deep counts on almost every hitter. He also air-mailed a pickoff throw over Pearce's head, allowing the runner to get to 2B.

All in all, though, a solid performance.

Neil Walker had another good game, with an RBI single and a walk and a sparking catch at the LCF wall. He was on base via the walk in the 7th but misjudged a long out by Pedro Alvarez and was doubled off 1B on a perfect relay throw.

Alvarez now has only one single in 13 at-bats in this series. But at least he K'd only once tonight. His long, loud out in the 7th looked as though it might clear the fence in RCF, but he uppercutted it too much and it died at the wall. (FWIW, he faced only right-handers again tonight.)

He is one big dude, and the ball really jumps off his bat.

Tabata had two singles and an RBI. But he left the bases loaded in the 8th, hitting into an inning-ending force out. Pearce went 1-for 5 and his average has dropped 40 points in this series, from .400 to .360.

Argenis Diaz didn't play tonight.

Indy's success, however, should be measured against the fact that Pawtucket is off to a bad start -- 8-13 and tied for last place in its division. Three of its regulars are hitting .194 or worse, and the team ERA is only 1/100th of a point better than Indy's, which is the second-worst in the league.

Post subject: Re: Indy report/April 29
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:02 am 

So McCutchen started laboring after 5 innings of work? Was he throwing a ton of pitches? I mean it seems doubtful based on what you said about the game but I would expect him to be physically prepared to pitch 6-7 innings. Maybe I am overestimating.

That's just a little concerning to me that his velocity dropped that much when it looks like Hart isn't going to be pitching this season. We could be staring McCutchen coming back up to the bigs right in the face at some point this season.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 am 

NDL, I didn't count pitches Thurs. night, but the box score has McCutchen throwing 103 for the game. From where I was sitting, I couldn't see what he was throwing. It could be that by his final two innings he was using mostly breaking stuff, which would account for the lower velocity.

I don't want to trash his performance, which was effective. But against a team that had only two highly regarded prospects in the lineup and is off to a poor start, that is what I would expect from a pitcher who may be back in a MLB uniform later this season.

Edit: Oops, meant to say only one top prospect, OF-DH Josh Reddick, was in the starting lineup. In the 6th, catcher Mark Wagner injured a wrist while fouling off a pitch and Pawtucket's only other (non-pitcher) prospect, Lars Anderson, completed the at-bat for him . . . not that any of that will matter a whole lot in the overall scheme of things. :oops:

Last edited by Bob in Boston on Sat May 01, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:06 pm 

I went to the Indianapolis/Pawtucket game last night - the Indians lost when a PawSox hit a homerun in the 8th inning. But, it was a beautiful evening in a lovely, 1950's like ballpark and it was fun to see some of the young Buc prospects. My perceptions: Pedro Alvarez looks like a young Aramis Ramirez as far as his build - sort of stocky and with thick thighs. He doesn't move that well, and didn't hustle down to first base after hitting an infield grounder. He struck out a couple of times, but did hit a homerun to right field. He'll like hitting in PNC, but looks like he'll strike out a ton and probably be good for 30-35 homeruns a year. But, will need to watch his body and diet and continue to work out all year or else he'll get fat! Maybe it's good that the Pirates will have him for most of his 20's because he may decline when he hits 30 years of age!!

Jose Tabata impressed me more than Alvarez. He hit a couple of ropes last night. He may not have a lot of homerun power, but looks good for doubles/triples. If he's only 21 or 22, that homerun power may come later.

Brad Lincoln didn't look so hot. Gave up a lot of hits and drove me nuts with the slow pace of his pitching. I felt like we were going to be there all night. As it was, the game lasted almost three hours. But, Lincoln certainly doesn't look like he's ready for the bigs!

It was great going to the game, and seeing some of the young guys. But, I don't think we should be holding our breaths as far expecting help from the minors - not yet!!

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 pm 

Thanks Bob and Doc. I purchased the MiLB subscription and have been watching a few of the Indy games. I haven't been very impressed with any of the AAA players right now. Hopefully Alvarez and Tabata will really start lighting it up by the end of the year but you are right, they need more time in AAA. Maybe Pearce or Walker later on this Summer. Maybe Lincoln but I wouldn't be in a hurry with him either.