Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening Day Report: 4/5/10
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 pm 

And so baseball season is finally here! The grass was green, the hot dogs were smelly (and made of S+A if you know what I mean), the beer was cold...

PNC was an amazing place to be today. The crowd was great. There was really an electric atmosphere at the ballpark today...I told my friend this is what it would be like at PNC if the Pirates were in contention some September. You really can't beat it. Baseball was back and you really felt it inside the park.

The weather was amazing. My estimate was that it was about 75 degrees and the sun was in and out for most of the afternoon. I am pretty sure that I got a sunburn. Don't worry about me, though, I made sure that I stayed hydrated with multiple drinks before, during, and after the game. :P

I posted in a thread earlier about getting season tickets. This is a picture I took from the game today from my seats. It's from my IPhone so it's not the best camera available:

As for the game, here's what I picked up on:

Duke started shaky but managed to settle into a groove after that. He had to work out of at least one jam down the stretch with men on base and he passed that test with flying colors. I'm hopeful that he will continue to show such resilience over the course of this long MLB season.

I was really scratching my head when Russell decided he was going to pull Duke in the bottom of the 5th after several scoreless innings in favor of Ryan Church as a pinch hitter. Man was I ever wrong. My thinking was that it was a good idea to keep Duke in for at least one more inning as he had performed well after his shaky start but Russell saw the opportunity with two runners in scoring position to call Church up to the plate. In the end, we all like that it worked out with both runners coming home. I see the logic in what Russell did, and, in the end what is there to NOT like about it?

Having the pitcher (Duke) bat 8th set us up perfectly on one occasion today. I have to admit that the more I drank the less I cared about such details, however, I did recognize in the early innings that we had a perfect setup from this. With two men on Duke laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt which was mishandled, leading to a bases loaded situation for Cedeno with one out (I believe). The only thing Cedeno couldn't do was ground into a double play. He grounded into a double play. Later in the game he hit a two out single. Thanks, man. He did manage to steal a base, though, which I will give him credit for.

Who wouldn't be impressed with the swings Garrett Jones was putting on the ball today? In his first at bat of the season he launched the ball into the river. He then followed this with an opposite field home run. Although I like the moon shot into the river, I think I like the fact that he hit a HR to the opposite field even more. Being able to recognize a pitch that's away and taking it to the opposite field is a very skillful move. Being able to hit it with such power in that direction is even better. Good job and congratulations to Jones. Let's hope he keeps up the offensive output throughout the year.

I didn't notice anything unnatural about Clement playing 1st base. He had a nice hit today, too, and I think he has a pretty decent swing and nice approach overall at the plate. Can he stay disciplined?

Padilla had a pretty bad outing. I don't know what else to say about him. He struggled with his control and that even led to balls out over the plate.

It was nice to see Doumit come through to seal the game today. Being one of the Pirates who might be potential trade block material come July, it would be great if he could showcase his skills for more reasons than just helping the Buccos win some games this year.

I like the fact that Russell (or Kerrigan, or both) decided to bring Dotel out despite the game being a non save situation. Early in the season it's probably a good thing to get a veteran like Dotel out and throwing a little bit. If you can put him in the game for situations where he isn't under pressure it might help his confidence in the closer role when the game is on the line. I don't know if this plays into their mindset or if it's even solid logic but in the end I think it was a good decision by the coaching staff.

Post subject: Re: Opening Day Report: 4/5/10
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:30 pm 

Thanks NDL for the report and a very nice picture too. Great game!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 am 

I envy you, sir.

Awesome report and glad you enjoyed the opening day home win---hopefully one of more to come!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

Fantastic report...you nailed it! My jealousy is running on high right now for those close enough to attend Pirates games...

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 am 

Nice report, and good photo. That was a pretty nice seat you had.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the report. I am envious as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 am 

How went game #2?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
How went game #2?

I'll have a report of that up shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 am 

This is a great post on day 1. Nice picture.

I don't think I'm wild about the pitcher batting 8th but it will help us and hurt us some throughout the year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:34 am 

Game 2:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4035