Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belated Game Report: March 14, 2010
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:09 pm 

My apologies for the belated report here. I have been on the go since yesterday morning. Part of the hustle included catching most of yesterday's game in Bradenton. I apologize in advance if some of these topicss are repeated in the game thread, as I have not had the chance to view the thread yet. Some observations:

1. Since I had purchased a two game pack that included yesterday's game as well as last Thursday's game vs. Tampa Bay, I had the exact same seats yesterday as three days prior. This time, I was joined by my parents instead of coworkers.

2. Charlie Morton looked strong in his work yesterday. He was mowing down hitters left and right. I like him in the top three of the rotation. Keep in mind, however, the Yankees did not play Rodriguez or Texieria (sp?).

3. The Bucs got to CC pretty good yesterday. They seem to have had his number this spring. If only he (still) pitched in the NL Central...

4. Only a great throw could have thrown out Lastings Milledge when he was heading to third, and that is unfortunately what he got. Regardless, I like his hustle.

5. The wind definitely aided on the homers by Crosby and Young, as it appeared that both barely left the yard.

6. Alvarez's hit in the 7th appeared to be caught, but the outfielder either trapped the ball or dropped it. It would have been a fantastic catch had it been ruled so.

7. I have noticed quite a few Japanese fans around the ballpark wearing Aki jerseys. Some of them, I believe, may be his family.

8. As DK noted in his blog yesterday morning, this is the probable Opening Day Lineup. I'm sure that it was more than a coincidence that said lineup was featured in a televised game. :)

9. The ballpark was completely full today with a mixed crowd of rooters.

10. I picked up my 2010 media guide today. As usual, the cover features PNC Park.

11. Neil Huntington was seated in his customary seat about 10 rows in front of me and Bob Nutting was seated in his usual seat above the Bucco dugout. He appeared to be sitting next to teenage girls (perhaps his daughters who will run the franchise someday?)

12. We left the game in the top of the 8th in order to arrive in Tampa in time for the Penguins/Lightning game.

13. Fortunately, I missed Machi pitch. The game was 9-1 when we left.

14. As we were walking to our car, we passed CC Sabathia leaving the ballpark in his SUV. He has his uniform number plated in silver on the back of the vehicle.

That's all I can think of for now. Next report will be from the McKechnie bleachers on Sunday vs. the Rays.

Post subject: Re: Belated Game Report: March 14, 2010
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 pm 

P.o.P.,

Sorry I missed you at the game i was in box 19 almost all the way down by the yankees bull pen. We left in the 6th inning because we did not bring sun screen and we were getting burned by the minute in the gorgeous sun.

Reggie Jackson was there and was very patient and signed a lot of autographs but did not say anything to anybody as far as I could tell. The whole autograph seeker thing makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

From where we sat there seemed like a lot of Yankeee fans there and they bring a whole new meaning to the word obnoxious. I couldn't stand them yelling "Jeeetah!" "Swishaaa!"

I did bring home a souvenir cup from the game and had a good time overall.

I spent Friday night through today in the Ybor City area working with a client and saw some sights. I had a cold so I was not up for the St. Patricks Day parade they had but i guess it was a bit wild.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 am 

PoP,

I'm doing my part in the "enabling" this weekend and will be at the Friday, Sat(@Bal), and Sunday games. I think I have some pretty good seats, Reserved section 9 for Friday and Box section 4 for Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:11 am 

Hebner, I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience at McKechnie and thanks for your observations. Even in the off-season, the Florida sun is still strong. Sunscreen can be your best friend down here when outside.

I couldn't agree with you more about autograph seekers. Although I was one when I was a kid, I find it annoying now.

I also agree with you once again that Yankees fans are uber-obnoxious. They show up in droves at Tropicana Field as well. As obnoxious as they can be, they are polite as boy scouts compared to Sawks fans.

For the lack of a better definition, Ybor is Tampa's Bourbon Street, although far tamer.

PF13, I'll be at Sunday's game as well. Your seats are much better than mine. I'll be out in the bleachers in section 20, row 16 (top row, IMO the best bleacher seats), seats 1-5. Hope to see you down there and would enjoy your help with the game report as well ;)