Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report -- Indianapolis vs. Buffalo 7/26/09
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:55 pm 

(Pre-note: I realize we have a new specific section for Game Reports now, but I figured I'd still throw it up here and let the mods move it over when necessary).

- Went to my first Indians game this afternoon, and my first AAA game in general, besides one Louisville game years ago that I can barely even recall. I live in Cincinnati and had a friend who's brother lives in Indy and we had planned on going to today's game which 4,000 Nate McLouth duel bobbleheads were given out. We got to Victory Field about an hour early, the stadium kind of comes out of nowhere near downtown Indy. It holds 15,500 which surprised me, but I guess I'm not used to the sizes of triple-A fields. Nice ballpark, still pretty new and it shows. Has a nice little lawn in the outfield which at least a few hundred fans took advantage of, laying out on blankets. Just checked and the official attendance was 7K. Not a bad crowd, probably would have been a lot more had it not been for a certain other sporting event going on nearby. Really clean looking little park, not too many original specifics to rant about, but I did really like the video score board. The McLouth bobblehead is pretty cool and decent-sized for a double which I wasn't anticipating.

- Indians line-up: Bixler, Milledge, Myrow, Bozied, Giminez, Kratz, Barnwell, Ford, Snell.

- I was kind of disappointed to see Snell on the mound, simply due to all of the times I've seen him pitch live in the big leagues. Would have much rather seen a prospect pitch. But alas, I expected to sit back and enjoy him mow down an apparently very bad Buffalo team. The Bison are 18 1/2 games back and the only team in the International League to not make it to 40 victories yet. Seeing as Snell had an ERA under 1, I expected to see a nice performance ...

- ... I did not. Snell did not pitch very well. Threw the heat, consistently in the low 90s, but gave up 9 hits over 5 innings (mostly hard-hit singles), and in the process gave up 2 ER and got the loss. Of course his "run support" was one solo shot on seven Indian hits, so he probably didn't deserve the loss, but just not very impressive due to the struggling we've seen of Snell the past two seasons in Pittsburgh. He didn't struggle with control though, so take that with a grain of salt with the 9 hits.

- Brian Bixler would score the only Tribe run of the game as he hit a solo shot over the right field wall in the first Indians AB of the game. He's hitting well overall, but unfortunately I just have absolutely no hope for home based on his couple of stints with the Pirates so far.

- I was anxious to see Milledge who came over in the trade. He had two hits including a nice double to right following Bixler's homer. But he also didn't impress me with his effort defensively and grounded into a DP one of the only other times in the game they had a chance to score, after Bixler got plunked in the shoulder the AB before.

- I was also hoping to see Roby Diaz behind the plate, but Kratz got the start, didn't realize how big of a guy he is in person. Roby meanwhile got to play first base coach.

- The CF "Chris Barnwell" looked absolutely embarrassing every time at the plate, including two awful Ks. I know absolutely nothing about the guy, but he's now batting .163. Meanwhile, Hector Giminez had a very tough defensive game at first. Probably should have been credited with two errors, the 3B Bozied ended up getting credited with a throwing error on one. On his own, he attempted to scoop a ball that was still airborne.

- Steven Jackson came in to relieve Snell and pitched 3 fine innings, giving up no hits and striking out 4.

- The 2-1 score would carry to the end. Buffalo's SP Tobi Stoner, who simply doesn't have very impressive numbers, mowed down the Indy line-up all game, which doesn't really come as a surprise because the lower half of the line-up is really struggling. But hey, got that pretty Nate bobblehead!

Post subject: Re: Game Report -- Indianapolis vs. Buffalo 7/26/09
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:14 pm 

Thanks Shark!

Is this the first Board Game Report from Victory Field? I can't recall any others....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 pm 

I forgot to add that Neil Walker, who I had all but pretty much forgotten about, pinch hit for Snell. Didn't take the camera but I'll post a pic of the bobblehead soon ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 pm 

Tobi Stoner is from my hometown. The Pirates were scouting him during spring training....he actually has pretty good stuff, but his numbers don't show that this year. He is on the Mets 40 man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:10 pm 

That shows that NH still has a ways to go when your AAA lineup consists of Milledge and a bunch of warm bodies.

Next year Alvarez, Tabata, and Hernandez should be there so that will look a lot better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm 

Thanks for the report, Shark!

Did Nate just have his hair cut after joining the Braves?

I only have two bobbleheads.. Jonny Peralta and Tom Hamilton, Indians announcer! :roll: