Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Altoona Game Report May 27
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:36 am 

Went over to the Bowie Baysox game tonight to get a look at some of the Pirates prospects playing for Altoona.

Our Lineup:
CF Pedro Powell
2B Melvin Dorta
LF Jonel Pacheco
DH Brad Corely
1B Jason Delaney
RF Anthony Webster
SS Luis Cruz
3B Jason Bowers
C Kris Watts

SP Josh Hill

Altoona was facing Brad Bergesen, 4-0 with 1.36 ERA and jumped on him early by getting 3 runs on 2 hits in the 1st inning. The Curve seemed to be geeting solid wood on his FB, especially Brad Corely with a 2B in the first.

Melvin Dorta made a very nice running catch in foul territory behind 1B and it seemed like our defense was very solid throughout the game (0 Errors)

The one thing I noticed about Dorta was a very long swing and he struck out twice on above average fastballs.

My scorecard has Jason Delaney at 3-4 but the official scorer gave him a FC in the 1st inning after he dribbled a ball towards 3B and the third baseman decided to try and get the runner at home who subsequently beat the tag. I don't think there would have been any chance at getting Delaney at 1B. Jason also had a nice solo HR in the 3rd (the only HR of the game) and a single in the 5th.

Pedro Powell is listed at 5-7 in the media guide, but that is being generous. I could barely see him in CF(looked like a little leaguer) and I was sitting in the 2nd row behind homeplate. He is touted as the "fastest player in the Pirates organization", but I didn't get a chance to see him use his speed. He was 1-5 with 2 k's, he had a single in the 2nd inning but was blocked up by the catcher who singled in front of him. I really didn't like his approach to hitting, he certainly didn't work the count enough, if at all in some AB's. With the small strike zone that he has and his speed, I felt like he needed to be much more patient.

Brad Corely(rated the Pirates #10 Prospect), looked really good at the plate hitting 3 out of 5.

Looking at the Curve roster, it is evident that we have very little talent, most of the players are 25 yrs old and older(a few minor league FA's), the few that are here need to really get it going if they ever want to get a shot at the ML's.

Josh Hill the Australian starter was impressive, apparently he had lost his last 3 starts posting an 8.44 ERA, but last night he looked good. 6 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, and 3 strike outs. Most of the night he looked somewhat smooth but in some instances like his last inning he walked the 1st 2 batters but battled back to get 2 fly outs and a ground out to get out of the inning. He was tossing around 90-92 on his FB and his curve was somewhat deliberate but he was able to throw it for strikes. Overall, I thought it was a nice performance against the top team in the division.

Evan Meek completed the final 2 innings... and he was wild! He struck out his first batter with a wild pitch letting the runner reach 1B. He threw 33 pitches 16 for strikes. Seems fine, but his balls were way out of the zone, hitting one batter, and narrowly decapitating another. He was pitching around 94 mph with I think a change, but I really couldn't tell from where I was. His line... 2 innings, 0 runs, 0 hits, 0, BB's , 2 K's, and one unhappy hit batter.

I love the minor league experience, great ballpark, great seats, good food, and an Altoona win... couldn't have been better.

PF13

Post subject: Re: Altoona Game Report May 27
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 am 

Nice report. PF13. The board members are representing on out-of-town games yesterday.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind:

(1) Does Corley swing at strikes? Or does he swing at anything near the plate, in the hope that the pitcher throws strikes?

(2) Did the park have a radar gun on the pitchers? If yes, was Meek consistently in the mid-90's or was he throwing some fastballs in the 80's, like he did when he was with the Pirates?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Nice report. PF13. The board members are representing on out-of-town games yesterday.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind:

(1) Does Corley swing at strikes? Or does he swing at anything near the plate, in the hope that the pitcher throws strikes?

(2) Did the park have a radar gun on the pitchers? If yes, was Meek consistently in the mid-90's or was he throwing some fastballs in the 80's, like he did when he was with the Pirates?

Meek was throwing around 92-94 and just a couple dipped below 90, 89, 88. You could see that he was "aiming" with those pitches. That was very evident. That is something he has to work on. I don't know how to explain it other than his body motion changed when he was behind in the count. More deliberate. Anyone picking up on this would know an average FB was coming relatively close to the plate.

Corely was swinging at strikes, there were no lunges or awkward swing and misses. His stroke was smooth and his hits were line drives, even his ground outs were hot shots.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:05 pm 

Thanks, PF. Good information. Nothing beats first-hand observation.