Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report, 5-25
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:03 pm 

Oh what the hell...I went so I might as well type up a report. I will say, though, that I personally hate day baseball. I would much rather spend my Sunday working in the yard and the evening relaxing at the game. Not much you can do in the yard after dark.

1. Cold medicine + too much sun + beer = hallucinations. I seriously thought I saw Luis Rivas hit 2 homeruns. (Seriously though, we were sitting behind 1st base so I have no clue if his first one was a homer or not).

2. Nady CRUSHED his homer. Jumped of the bat and was gone fast. Good to see him hitting still.

3. McLouth made a sensational diving catch. Completely laid out from a dead on sprint. Easily the most spectacular play I've seen this year by this team.

4. Thank you, Mr. Soriano, for shutting up the @$$hole Cubs fan behind me. Dropping that ball gave us the game. In all honesty, this guy not only was a complete idiot who knew nothing about baseball, but he was "that guy"...you know, the guy who insists to everyone around him that he knows everything. And boy oh boy he was so set to celebrate the Cubs win. Of course, the rest of the game he spent complaining about what a bum Soriano is and how the Cubs should cut him (nevermind the fact that if Soriano doesn't homer in the 3rd there is no bottom of the 9th). Cubs fans are, without a doubt, the baseball equivalent of Stiller fans.

5. Will Jason Bay ever come through in the clutch?

29,000 announced attendance...I would say at least 13,000 Cubs fans.

Post subject: Re: Game Report, 5-25
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 pm 

BBF wrote:
Cubs fans are, without a doubt, the baseball equivalent of Stiller fans.

Can't stand Ben Stiller; liked his dad on Seinfeld though. Am I like a Cubs fan?

Seriously, nice win today. Give some credit to Maholm. He had one rough inning but went deep enough to give the tired bullpen a fighting chance. Boneheaded play on that swinging bunt though...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:10 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
BBF wrote:

Can't stand Ben Stiller; liked his dad on Seinfeld though. Am I like a Cubs fan?

Seriously, nice win today. Give some credit to Maholm. He had one rough inning but went deep enough to give the tired bullpen a fighting chance. Boneheaded play on that swinging bunt though...

Two things I forgot:

1. While I was glad to see Rivas hit two out today, it once again reinforces what I would consider bad decision making by John Russell. Fortunately Jack will be back soon though, so hopefully Rivas won't stay in the #2 hole (ha...#2 hole...I'll let estragand take it from there...)

2. What is Paul Maholm's ERA after his 100th pitch? My coworkers and I have noticed what we think is a trend, and that is that Maholm can't last more than 100 pitches. I know, we needed him to go deep today, but with the offday tomorrow, I still pull him at 100 pitches after 6 innings. Sure enough, he goes out and gives up a go ahead run. I would love to see a breakdown of Maholm's ERA by pitch count. And yeah, I know that it isn't uncommon for pitchers to give up a lot of runs as they fatigue, but it seems that once Maholm gets into his groove, he is good to go until about 100 pitches. From there, it is like a switch is flipped. I wonder how much of his ERA is attributable to his lack of stamina/being used too long.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:26 pm 

Rob King mentioned after the game on FSN that Maholm's ERA for his "bad innings" (a total of I think he said five of them out of all the innings he has pitched) is something like 6.51

The rest of his innings or "good innings" (can't remember how many but a bunch of them) his ERA is something like 2.58

hmmmm...............

BBF wrote:
1. While I was glad to see Rivas hit two out today, it once again reinforces what I would consider bad decision making by John Russell.

I think JR is doing a very good job of managing so far. No complaints from me.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:

BBF wrote:
1. While I was glad to see Rivas hit two out today, it once again reinforces what I would consider bad decision making by John Russell.

I think JR is doing a very good job of managing so far. No complaints from me.

Please don't misinterpret my point as complaining about Russell. By and large, I think he has done an excellent job with this group. That is not to say, however, that he has done some things that have really left me scratching my head, such as batting Rivas second. Saturday, IIRC, Rivas responded by hitting into a DP in the 1st inning. Today, he hits 2 homers. My guess is his performance will be closer to Saturday than today if Russell continues using him there. But thus far, a lot of the head-scratching moves have panned out.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 pm 

BBF, you said "it once again reinforces what I would consider bad decision making by John Russell."

From the way you worded your statement, it sounds like you are not a JR fan. How else would one interpret those words?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 am 

BBF wrote:

29,000 announced attendance...I would say at least 13,000 Cubs fans.

Sounds about how it is here when the Cubs come to Cincinnati, if not more Chicago fans. And yes, they are the absolute worst. It's cliche to say, but lordie is it true. A shame too because I absolutely love the city of Chicago when I visit.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
BBF, you said "it once again reinforces what I would consider bad decision making by John Russell."

From the way you worded your statement, it sounds like you are not a JR fan. How else would one interpret those words?

Dude, I'm not going to argue with you. If you think it is a brilliant idea to bat Rivas second then I have nothing I can say to you. My opinion is that it is probably the single dumbest thing Russell does. That doesn't mean I don't like him as a manager, and I think it is a stretch to think that what I said implies that.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:09 am 

burghermeister wrote:
BBF wrote:

Dang it burghermeister, you beat me to the punchline on that one...

Como esta, bitches!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...