|The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board
|Game Report: May 2, 2009
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Ralphie [ Sun May 03, 2009 2:44 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Game Report: May 2, 2009|
Went to the game last night with my girlfriend and her family. We had a large group and had a good time.
1. My first comment is that there is some godawful noise in that park prior to the game. A theater-style sound system with accompanying explosions, bangs, booms, crashes, roars, etc. played at high decibels. Probably doesn't bother the younger people but it sure bothered me.
2. Bucs came out and immediately started smacking the baseball. First three guys got hits and they put up a 4 spot in the first. Certainly a pleasant surprise coming off of two shutouts. That was the theme throughout the night as the teams combined for 27 hits.
3. I sat in the lower level on the right field side, section 107, and had to look to my left across the aisle to see home plate. There was a constant stream of traffic, both patrons and vendors, up and down the aisle all night. I missed roughly 1 in 4 pitches because my view was blocked. Most of the people were much more interested in stuffing their faces than they were in watching the game.
4. Paid attendance was 22,891. Fireworks are not the draw they once were. Personally I have seen enough of them.
5. Girlfriend was getting cold so we went for a walk around the park. The place where the Outback Steakhouse used to be is now the Trib Total Media Hall of Fame or something like that. It's set up like a night club and is open to anyone holding a ticket. It's really nice. You can sit at the bar or have a sit-down dinner and still have a good view of the game. A band was setting up to play after the game. We were just sight-seeing but I will be back to that place.
6. Nyjmo is always fun to watch on the bases but last night he did something you rarely see. He advanced two bases on a wild pitch, and he was not running on the pitch. I guess the catcher had a hard time finding the ball and Nyjer just barely beat the throw into third. Freddy then hit a sac fly to drive him in so it was a significant play.
6. Capps was shaky in the ninth giving up 5 hits. Don't believe everything you read in the papers. The balls were solidly struck, even though they were mostly ground balls in the holes that could just have easily been double play balls. He turned up the heat and blew away the last two guys to nail down a win that we desperately needed.
|Author:||cappscrew138 [ Sun May 03, 2009 5:25 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Re: Game Report: May 2, 2009|
I have dined in the Hall of Fame Club twice. I strongly suggest the steak hoagie.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group