Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WBC Game Report
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:42 pm 

Attended the WBC game last night, United States vs. Japan.

• Cool, breezy conditions. Became cold by the 3rd inning. The cool conditions took two home runs from Mark Derosa, who drove two balls to the warning track. If the game is during the day time, both balls are gone.
  • Brian Roberts was playing close to second base during Japan's big 4th inning. One base hit looked like a grounder to second, but Roberts was unable to corral the ball. Later, with runners on first and second, another grounder is hit to Roberts' left and he muffs it. If he is 2 steps to the left, these two balls are easy outs and Japan scores 0 that inning. Baseball is that close sometimes.
  • Adam Dunn is sluggish in the outfield. One a double to the RF corner, he sauntered over with no hope of getting to the ball. I have seen other outfielders go to that part of Dodger Stadium and make a running catch. Dunn was not close.
  • John Grabow was impressive. He was hitting his spots. The Dodger radar gun had him at 85-87 mph, but the way he hit knee-high corner, or right on the thumbs, plus the way he located his slider, led to 4 very easy outs. Two incredilby weak grounders, one on a shattered bat, and two K's.
  • Thornton, another left-handed reliever, was scary good. He was throwing 95-96 mph and fanned the side on 12 pitches, 10 for strikes. The last K was when the batter waved at a pitch at his head in self-defense.
  • Japan had a ton of left-handed hitters in the line-up (6). The lefty relievers on USA mowed them down pretty easily. I wonder if the US would not have benefitted from having Ted Lilly start the game.

Post subject: Re: WBC Game Report
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
[*]Adam Dunn is sluggish in the outfield. One a double to the RF corner, he sauntered over with no hope of getting to the ball. I have seen other outfielders go to that part of Dodger Stadium and make a running catch. Dunn was not close.

He looked horrible at 1b. The Nats obviously take the lesser of two evils here and keep him in LF.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm 

Argentum wrote:
He looked horrible at 1b. The Nats obviously take the lesser of two evils here and keep him in LF.

I thought that the Nats were going to play him at first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I thought that the Nats were going to play him at first.

Did you catch his performance in that capacity for team USA? They better hold onto Nick Johnson for a while. Willingham may be the odd man out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Did you catch his performance in that capacity for team USA?

I did. He looked like a manatee trying to pick up a watermelon seed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
[*]Adam Dunn is sluggish in the outfield. One a double to the RF corner, he sauntered over with no hope of getting to the ball. I have seen other outfielders go to that part of Dodger Stadium and make a running catch. Dunn was not close.

I saw somewhere I think ESPN he's listed at 275 pounds...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:04 pm 

Never having seen Dunn play before -- even on TV -- I was interested that the broadcast crew kept stressing how poorly he throws. And, in fact, that was evident every time a ball was hit to RF last night. I thought he was a hotshot quarterback in high school and college: What happened his arm strength? Surely at 6-6 and 200-whatever, he didn't run an option offense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:10 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Never having seen Dunn play before -- even on TV -- I was interested that the broadcast crew kept stressing how poorly he throws.

True. On one sac fly to RF, Dunn was in medium depth RF. Usually from that position, there is a close play at the plate. Not so last night. Dunn's throw was lollipopped into the infield and cut off. It did not get to home plate.