Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 22, 2009
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:09 pm 

I attended the game down in Bradenton today. Not too much to report about, but a few observations:

1. Snell stunk it up today in the mound. He gave up all 6 runs, including a 5 spot in the 2nd. Methinks that he wouldn't make most other teams' rotations, but the fact that he is practically a "lock" to make ours says a lot about our pitching.

2. Burnett looked better today than he did in his last outing. Capps, Davis and Bautista closed it out. I feel a lot better about our relievers than I do our starters.

3. The Bucs were getting no hit into the 7th inning. Nate McClouth broke up the no-no with a hit.

4. The starting nine of the Bucs included the likely Opening Day Lineup. I am deeply concerned about our lack of offense based upon what I saw today.

5. The regulars all stayed in the game until the late innings today. Usually, they are pulled after the 5th or so, but they stayed in until the 7th or 8th.

6. One of my gripes about McKechnie is that there are no speakers from the PA system out in the bleachers. There are only speakers in the reserved seats. We sat in the bleachers again today and couldn't hear the PA system most of the time.

7. Today was probably the last time that I will see the Reds train in Florida anytime soon. The Reds are the latest team to be poached out of Florida by the Cactus League. Personally, I don't quite understand the move, as the Reds have always trained in Florida and there are tons of transplanted folks from Ohio and Ohio snowbirds down here. Plus, there were plenty of Reds fans in attendance today.

That's all from here. Perhaps there will be another game report next weekend or the following week.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 22, 2009
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:48 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
7. Today was probably the last time that I will see the Reds train in Florida anytime soon. The Reds are the latest team to be poached out of Florida by the Cactus League. Personally, I don't quite understand the move, as the Reds have always trained in Florida and there are tons of transplanted folks from Ohio and Ohio snowbirds down here. Plus, there were plenty of Reds fans in attendance today.

Ed Smith Stadium is a dump compared to most spring training sites. I'm guessing they are getting a major upgrade in Arizona.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:33 pm 

I agree 6-0 with our starting lineup to the Reds and Aaron Harang who has been known to give up alot of runs but get alot of strikeouts is a reason for concern.I just hope we manage to stay under 100 loses this year and i will be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 am 

4. The starting nine of the Bucs included the likely Opening Day Lineup. I am deeply concerned about our lack of offense based upon what I saw today.

I was surprised with the offense the first 3 weeks. The past week, the offense looks like the Pirates of the past 16 years ... horrid.

7. Personally, I don't quite understand the move, as the Reds have always trained in Florida and there are tons of transplanted folks from Ohio and Ohio snowbirds down here. Plus, there were plenty of Reds fans in attendance today.

Arizona was spending a lot of money to lure teams from Florida. The deals were struck, and the stadium committments made, before the recent economic tsunami. I doubt that these moves would be made today, but this is all water over the dam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

Although I am usually optimistic this time of year, the starting pitching has simply not progressed and has the potential to be very bad. The bullpen is better but still a question mark.

The offense I think will be below average but not terrible. I predict less than 70 wins for the year. There is simply not enough talent here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:58 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Although I am usually optimistic this time of year, the starting pitching has simply not progressed and has the potential to be very bad.

I am actually optimistic about Maholm, Snell, Duke and Ohlendorf. Two power arms, one sort-of power arm (Maholm throws a commanding, dominant 2-seam and hits 92 mph with his 4-seam). If they throw strikes - and it is clear that Maholm, Duke and Ohlendorf are throwing strikes this spring - I think they can do pretty well.