Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AA Game Report: Richmond Vs Altoona
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 am 

Curve win 2-1. I sat in the 3rd row just to the right of the Curve Dugout. I got a foul ball and a candy bar. Another game Dan goes to, another game the Curve win. I don't remember how many games I have been to in 15 years but I have only seen two losses.

Jameson Taillon goes 6 innings, K's 8, walks 3, gives up two hits, and no runs. Pulled after 6 because he was at 100 pitches. He would get ahead of them fast but couldn't put them away without throwing a lot of pitches to do it. 93-95 on the gun regularly.

Neil Walker went 2 for 3 with a walk and an RBI...Neil while warming up in between innings was chatting and showing Gift Ngoepe some footwork around the base at 2nd. The only negative was his at bat he popped out to the Short Stop with a runner in scoring position, he swung at trying to put it in the bleachers and whiffed. He was coming off the field and I was joking with him (I think he knew I was joking) that if he keeps swinging like that Mercer will be at 2nd all year. He smiled and tipped his helmet toward me. He seemed to be faster in reaction on every play, there was a grounder hit on a hit and run and he had to pause for the 1st baseman to get there. He looks ready to go.

Altoona's lineup is weak and the only two regulars who look like professional hitters are Andrew Lambo and Adalberto Santos. Santos was in LF today, but has been getting looks all over the field. At this point, his only chance at making the big leagues is as a utility guy.

Lambo started in CF and moved to 1st base late in the game in part of a double switch. He had a few nice at bats but only a walk to show for it. Hopefully he can make a move back up to AAA soon.

Curve win it on a walk off error as the CF'er dropped a fly ball after a long run toward the warning track by Charlie Cutler with Lambo scoring the winning run. It was sunny and cold, then turned to sunny, colder, windy, and a light drizzle. It was actually snowing in Ebensburg, 15 minutes west of Altoona on top of the mountain.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: AA Game Report: Richmond Vs Altoona
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:43 am 

Thanks for the report.

As you mentioned, Altoona doesn't have the most interesting line-up, and overall they're easily the least interesting of the four main farm teams. A lot of the roster consists of failed or struggling prospects and Curve returnees from last year. Also it looks like you missed out on Alex Dickerson with a utility player at first in Kelson Brown. Pitching is what to watch, obviously with Taillon and also Pimentel with his dominant start.

Lambo should not be kept in AA much longer, and should get playing time over Brett Carroll or Felix Pie.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:39 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You should keep an eye on Santos and the catcher (name escapes me). The catcher made quite the impression in ST, has a cannon for an arm, and has hit. Santos just hits, and hits, and hits. Might be a nice utility guy down the road.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm 

Carlos Paulino I believe is the catcher you are referring to. Last I checked he was off to a slow start with the bat.