Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report 6/26 Altoona at Harrisburg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 am 

A few observations on some of our players:

As was posted elsewhere, Gerrit Cole was hit with a line drive about 6 batters into the game. He stayed down for a minute, then got up. As they were speaking to him, he did point to his neck, but I couldn't tell where he was hit. Ironically, two batters later it almost happened again, but he deflected it off his glove. He didn't really get hit hard, just had some bad breaks. He was trying to establish the fastball in the first inning, which ranged from 91-95, sitting mostly at 92-93.

Brock Holt is not a good shortstop. He needs to play second.

Stefan Welch is the best prospect nobody is talking about. He played third tonight, and looks good there. Real athletic build, and looks real comfortable at the plate. He will have to ascend quickly, though, because he is 24. So far, he is showing no trouble making the adjustment to AA as a hitter.

Robbie Grossman led the game off with a bomb to right. I think he'll be okay.

Victor Black throws absolute gas. I watched him from 10 feet away in the bullpen, and you couldn't even follow the ball with your eye. He regularly hit 95 in the game. Hunter Strickland also threw 94-95 in his inning.

Post subject: Re: Game report 6/26 Altoona at Harrisburg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 am 

Was all set to go to this game tonight until a last minute change of plans. My phone blew up about 10 minutes in. Just hope all is well and it's just a flukey night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:52 am 

Thanks for the report Doug. I've been wondering about Holt at SS as I've never heard that he has above average defense, but they keep running him out there so hopefully today was just a poor showing. The good news is that he's hit very well at every level.

Victor Black needs to be promoted. He is dominating AA.

Stefan Welch is actually younger than Brock Holt, but I guess he's been overlooked because this was his fourth year in the Florida State League.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm 

tennis08tarheels wrote:
Stefan Welch is actually younger than Brock Holt, but I guess he's been overlooked because this was his fourth year in the Florida State League.

I am really excited about Welch. I believe this is his first foray into AA, and he is really hitting his stride. He does not give ground against lefties at all, and is developing very good plate discipline. He looked pretty good at third last night, and he also plays first. He also has decent speed. He is slightly old, as he will turn 24 in August, but that means he will play almost all season next year as a 24 year old. He is 6'3'' and under 200 po
unds, so he may even fill out a little more and add muscle.