Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:29 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Perhaps the most shocking thing about their current 40-91 record (imagine how catastrophic those numbers would look if they hadn't managed that fortieth win and were sitting at 39-92) is that they actually played around .500 through the first month and a half or so.

I looked this up ... wow. On May 25, after the Astros beat the Dodgers in L.A., their record stood at 22-23. Since then, they're 18-68, for a winning percentage of .209. Losing 79% of your games over a three-month period ... In the past 19 years, have we ever had a patch that long when we were playing that poorly?

Also, they're 13-53 on the road, with 15 road games remaining. Which puts them on pace to finish 16-65 on the road for the year. Jeez.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Perhaps the most shocking thing about their current 40-91 record (imagine how catastrophic those numbers would look if they hadn't managed that fortieth win and were sitting at 39-92) is that they actually played around .500 through the first month and a half or so.

I looked this up ... wow. On May 25, after the Astros beat the Dodgers in L.A., their record stood at 22-23. Since then, they're 18-68, for a winning percentage of .209. Losing 79% of your games over a three-month period ... In the past 19 years, have we ever had a patch that long when we were playing that poorly?

Also, they're 13-53 on the road, with 15 road games remaining. Which puts them on pace to finish 16-65 on the road for the year. Jeez.

I don't think so, they are on pace to win less than 50 games. They have won 7 of the last 45 games, on that pace they will finish 45-117. We have to win 5 of 6 from them minimum. They way I see it we need 89 wins minimum to make the playoffs, we need to be 16 games over .500 for that and we sit 10 game sover today. If we go 5-1 vs Houston we only need to play 14-12 against everyone else. Better yet sweep Houston twice and play .500 against the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 pm 

TheShark wrote:
But we'll see if they finish below the '04 Diamondbacks and their 51-win season.

I had no recollection of this team, so I looked them up... now I know why.

That lineup is horrendous. It makes even the last 3 years worth of Bucs squads look great by comparison.

Juan Brito sounds like a made up MLB the Show name.

I never knew Robbie Alomar played for the D-Backs.

I had dropped Shea Hillenbrand from my memory banks.

Carlos Baerga?! CARLOS BAERGA?!?!?!

Wow. Putrid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
TheShark wrote:

How about the 5 - 30 stretch that closed out the 98 season?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm 

Maybe Harrison's charge on Molina wasn't the be-all catalyst I might have made it to be for the Bucs, but it has certainly sent the Cards into a tail spin. They look to be shut out for the third game in a row, losing to Washington 8-0 in the 8th.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:18 am 

The Indians right now may be worse than the Astros. They're 5-28 in their last thirty-three games. This August was their worst month record-wise
in 98 years!! (Earlier in the season the Tribe dropped two of three at Minute Maid Park.)

During this stetch of bad baseball they've unloaded only Shelly Duncan and they have no plan to replace Manny Acta as manager. And the funny thing
is more Indians fans are going to see a home game on a Friday night than fans in Oakland.

Edit: I stand corrected. The Astros are worse.. 7-38 in their last 45 games?? >__<

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am 

From my favorite beat writer, Jason Stark, on the incredible year Mike Trout is having:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rum ... ng-history

Jayson Stark wrote:
There's barely enough room in cyberspace to keep track of all the historic feats Mike Trout has a chance to achieve. But here's one we've seen very little talk about:

He leads the American League in stolen bases. He leads the league in batting average. And he's just .001 point behind Josh Hamilton for the AL lead in slugging, after leading the league for much of this month.

So think about that. Could one player really be so multitalented that he could win a batting title, slugging title and stolen-base title in the same year? Oh, he could, all right. And if he does, Trout would be doing something no one else has done in … cue the percussion section, please … a mere 95 years.

Ready for the complete list of men who have led their league in those three departments in the same season? Here we go:

Ty Cobb -- in 1907, 1909, 1911 and 1917. And Honus Wagner -- in 1904, 1907 and 1908.

In other words, nobody in the live-ball era has done this. Nobody. And it's been 55 years since Willie Mays made the last serious run at it, leading the NL in steals and slugging in 1957, but finishing second to Stan Musial in the batting race.

And now along comes Mike Trout to give it a shot, as a rookie. At 21 years old. Nobody should be this great this young, friends. It's just not right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

Baltimore, the winning team with the -31 run differential, is taking a huge bite into that deficit, shellacking Toronto 12-0, bottom of the ninth. Plus, if results hold and the Yankees lose, they should be dead even with them. I'm still amazed that this late in the season, us and the O's are standing with winning records. Who would have thought that 33 combined years of futility could be ending in the same season?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 pm 

Despite yielding a 5 run 8th inning, the Orioles easily dispatched the Yankees in the first game of their four-game homestand, hitting 6 (!) homeruns en route to a 10-6 win. I thought the Orioles were going to fade after the All Star break, but they haven't, and I'm hoping that some of that mojo slides on over to the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 pm 

val wrote:
Despite yielding a 5 run 8th inning, the Orioles easily dispatched the Yankees in the first game of their four-game homestand, hitting 6 (!) homeruns en route to a 10-6 win. I thought the Orioles were going to fade after the All Star break, but they haven't, and I'm hoping that some of that mojo slides on over to the Pirates.

On the flip side, how much do you think the Yankees miss AJ right now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am 

Interesting perspective on Davey Johnson's career:

Quote:
As a player, he got the last hit off Sandy Koufax (1966), congratulated Hank Aaron at home plate after he broke Babe Ruth's career home run record ('74) and batted behind the man, Sadaharu Oh, who passed Aaron's record ('75-76). As a manager, he jumped for joy in the dugout when the ball went through Bill Buckner's legs ('86) and ran from the dugout in outrage when Jeffrey Maier turned Derek Jeter's fly out into a home run ('96).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/83834 ... -nationals

Plus, he was a batboy, IIRC, with the old Washington Senators, and I'm hoping he brings the WS to Washington...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:30 am 

Neat interview with Derek Jeter. I admit to admiring the guy and will be sad when he finally does sail off into the sunset. Which, after this year, seems a little farther away.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8399 ... erek-jeter

Quote:
Me (Rick Reilly): OK, you have five world championship rings. How much do you think about Michael Jordan having six?

Jeter: Think about it? Of course I think about it. He reminds me all the time.

Me: He texts you and reminds you?

Jeter: All the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am 

Anyone hoping that Miguel Cabrera (now no longer the "other" Cabrera) wins the triple crown? He's got an 8 point advantage at the plate, he's got a 10 run lead in the RBI race and is tied at 42 with Josh Hamilton for the HR title. With 10 games left, he seems pretty unassailable for the first two, and with Detroit fighting for it's playoff life, maybe a bit more at stake than Hamilton.

It's been too long since Yaz did it. I'm pulling for Cabrera...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 am 

There aren't many players left who were playing back when I was a young man, but Chipper Jones is heading off to the sunset. While I'm plugging for an Orioles - Nats WS, I wouldn't mind too much if Atlanta got the title.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/84271 ... pper-jones

Quote:
Feat No. 1 -- .300 from both sides of the plate

The numbers: Jones hitting left-handed: .304/.405/.542. Hitting right-handed: .305/.391/.499.

What it means: There have been 106 switch-hitters in history who came to the plate at least 5,000 times. Only two of them hit .300 or better from both sides. One was Frankie Frisch, whose career ended 75 years ago. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 2 -- Walking with the Mick

The numbers: Jones' career on-base percentage: .401. His career slugging percentage: .530. His career homers: 468. All as a switch-hitter, of course.

What it means: The list of greatest switch-hitters in history obviously includes men like Frisch, Pete Rose, Eddie Murray and even Lance Berkman. But only two switch-hitters are in that .400-.500-400 Club. One is Mickey Mantle. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 3 -- Topping Schmidt and Brett

The numbers: 1,622 RBIs for Chipper -- and still counting.

What it means: In the history of baseball, only three players ever drove in more than 1,500 runs while spending most of their careers playing third base. Two were George Brett (1,596) and Mike Schmidt (1,595). You can learn all about them in Cooperstown, N.Y. But who's the all-time leader in RBIs by a guy who mostly played third base? Chipper Jones. That's who.

Quote:
Feat No. 4 -- More walks than whiffs

The numbers: Here Jones is, after more than 10,000 trips to the plate, still able to say he has piled up more career walks (1,505) than strikeouts (1,409). Hard to do.

What it means: More than 130 active players have hit at least 100 homers in their careers -- but only three of them have walked more than they've punched out. Albert Pujols and Todd Helton are two of them. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 5 -- The greatest No. 1 overall pick ever

The numbers: 2,724 hits and 468 homers -- every one of them for the team that drafted him with the very first pick in 1990, the Atlanta Braves.

What it means: Only one other No. 1 overall pick ever hit 400 homers for the team that drafted him: Ken Griffey Jr., who hit 417 for the Mariners. But here's what separates Chipper from Griffey and every other No. 1 in history: This guy did everything for the team that picked him. If you don't count active players, you know what the next most hits and home runs is by a No. 1 overall pick who played his entire big league career with the team that drafted him? Ummmmm … would you believe 25 hits and two homers, by former Mariners great Al Chambers? You can look it up.

I always hate his one WS since it came at our expense, but it's hard not to appreciate Chipper's career.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am 

The fact that I will get to see Chipper's last game Wed factored in to my ticket purchase. 1st ballot HOF, unless the idiot voters intervene.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am 

In honor of the O's breaking their losing streak (if someone had to do it this year, it might as well have been the O's):

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 am 

While I am a Pirate's fan and a fan of whoever-is-playing-the-Yankees, it sucks that Jeter broke his foot. 12th inning, 6th game in 6 nights. How big a part did fatigue play???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm 

Yankees had day off on Tuesday. I doubt that fatigue played a role in the injury.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 am 

MLB v NFL in Baltimore....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... ml?hpid=z3

Quote:
Otherwise — and I say this as someone who finds Selig incredibly annoying about 99 percent of the time — MLB should tell the NFL to go suck an egg. Goodell can console himself by choosing one made by Faberge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm 

val wrote:
MLB v NFL in Baltimore....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... ml?hpid=z3

Quote:
Otherwise — and I say this as someone who finds Selig incredibly annoying about 99 percent of the time — MLB should tell the NFL to go suck an egg. Goodell can console himself by choosing one made by Faberge.

That's funny because its the NFL with all the muscle and most are saying they should tell MLB to move or else. MLB has no leverage to win this fight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next