Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm 

For those of you haven't had enough of the "Will the Nationals really shut down Stephen Strasburg?" conversation, here's some really great articles from Jayson Stark and Rob Neyer regarding the issue. Stark's is probably as comprehensive as it gets regarding the issue without rendering an opinion, while Neyer offers his opinion that the Nationals, while likely taking the correct approach in limiting Strasburg's innings, are doing so in an overly rigid manner and could have handled the situation better.

Stark: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/82534 ... -let-pitch

Neyer: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/8/10/32338 ... ings-limit

To tie this in to the Bucs, I expect that the innings-limit conversation will likely be had with regard to Cole and Taillon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:25 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The Bucs have 6 games left with the Astros (3 at home; 3 away). The Reds have 3 left with the Astros (all 3 at home). The Cardinals have 9 games left with the Astros (6 at home; 3 on the road, including 6 games leading into the final week of the season).

Not to nitpick, 9, but the Reds actually have 6 left with Houston, 3 on the road (8/31-9/2) and 3 at home. :)

The aggregate winning percentage of the teams on the remainders of the schedule for all three teams:

Reds: .464
Pirates: .475
Cardinals: .494

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:39 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
The Bucs have 6 games left with the Astros (3 at home; 3 away). The Reds have 3 left with the Astros (all 3 at home). The Cardinals have 9 games left with the Astros (6 at home; 3 on the road, including 6 games leading into the final week of the season).

Not to nitpick, 9, but the Reds actually have 6 left with Houston, 3 on the road (8/31-9/2) and 3 at home. :)

The aggregate winning percentage of the teams on the remainders of the schedule for all three teams:

Reds: .464
Pirates: .475
Cardinals: .494

You are right. My mistake. I put together a spreadsheet with the 3 teams' schedules for Aug/Sept/Oct and I missed the series that the Reds have with Astros at GABP. The Cards still have 6 games left with the Nationals, including a 3 game set on August 28-30 while the Reds are at PNC Park. Here's the potential double edged sword: If the Bucs are still in the race, we'd want the Nats playing all out to win and not resting its regulars. But . . . in order to be in that position . . . the Braves are going to need to play some serious baseball which harms the Bucs' chances in the wild card race. I guess I'll just have to root for the Nats and the Braves to both go in the tank . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:08 pm 

Ranrulzu wrote:
val wrote:
Derek Jeter, leading the AL in hits and second overall to Melky, has 17 seasons of 150+ hits. Only major leaguer with as many seasons is Hank Aaron. Pretty rarified air for a guy who was "slowing down".

And speaking of hits and Yankees, by my count, Ichiro has started 17 games for the Yanks and gotten 18 hits. He's had hits in all but two of the 17 (though he did have a 0 hit pinch hit game and came on the field as defensive replacement) and he's had a 5 RBI game.

I believe both Rose and Cobb have equaled or even surpassed that feat. Not that it dimishes his accomplishment in any way. However I dont think Jete and Aaron are the only major leagers with 17 season of 150 hits.

You would be correct. Rose had 19 such seasons and Cobb 18.

I guess the record I am referring to is that both Aaron and Jeter have 17 consecutive seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 am 

Earl Weaver is 82 today.

I hope someone is happy this night, because I am not.

Happy B-Day Earl!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 am 

val wrote:
Happy B-Day Earl!

Or, as Earl Weaver would put it: "Happy MF-ing birthday, you F-ing A-hole, try not to F up blowing the F-ing candles on your GD MF-ing cake, F F MF-ing GD S A MF-er."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 am 

And in other news, Johnny Pesky has passed on at 92. His name probably won't register with the younger members of the board. He isn't in the Baseball Hall of Fame, but he was a legend here. He was a terrific second baseman for the Red Sox in the 1940s and '50s and a career .307 hitter. In fact, he led the AL in hits in each of his first three years in MLB despite taking time out to serve with the Navy in World War II after his rookie season. He later managed the Red Sox and later still was one of their broadcasters. In retirement, he was a principal in a local home-improvement products company.

As some of you know, I despise the Red Sox organization. Individually, however, some of its people have been fine gentlemen. Pesky was one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:13 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
And in other news, Johnny Pesky has passed on at 92. His name probably won't register with the younger members of the board. He isn't in the Baseball Hall of Fame, but he was a legend here. He was a terrific second baseman for the Red Sox in the 1940s and '50s and a career .307 hitter. In fact, he led the AL in hits in each of his first three years in MLB despite taking time out to serve with the Navy in World War II after his rookie season. He later managed the Red Sox and later still was one of their broadcasters. In retirement, he was a principal in a local home-improvement products company.

As some of you know, I despise the Red Sox organization. Individually, however, some of its people have been fine gentlemen. Pesky was one of them.

As any APBA player will tell you, Pesky had the only other half-way decent card in the 41 Red Sox team set. I'll always remember the guy.

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:31 am 

From the I-Hate-the-Power-of-TV files:

http://mlb.si.com/2012/08/14/2012-playo ... &eref=sihp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 pm 

The Mariners' Felix Hernandez tossed a perfect game today, besting Tampa Bay 1-0 at Safeco Field. It was the 3rd MLB perfect game this season, and the 6th no-hitter.

Weirdly, 2 of the perfect games and 3 of the no-hitters have happened in Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm 

This just in: The Houston Astros suck. No, I mean, they really, really suck. I had the Cards-Astros GameCast going at work this afternoon. The 'Stros were up 4-0 when I left for a meeting. I was hopeful that we might be tied with St. Louis when we started action tomorrow. But when I came back 30 minutes later, they were down 8-5 en route to a 13-5 defeat. Dammit!

Not only are they on pace to lose 111 games this year, but their road record currently sits as 12-51. If my discrete math skills are correct, this means that if the Astros are coming to your park for a 3-game series, there is a 53% likelihood that they will lose ALL three games. Jeez.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
This just in: The Houston Astros suck. No, I mean, they really, really suck...

If my discrete math skills are correct, this means that if the Astros are coming to your park for a 3-game series, there is a 53% likelihood that they will lose ALL three games. Jeez.

I was in Vegas last week. My fourth/fifth day in town out of seven, I decided to take a risk and put $ on a MLB game.

I looked at the board and saw a bunch of 'iffy' games (LAA vs. TB types), then remembered that HOU was something like 6-34 in their last 40+.

Took the D-Backs on the line, -1.5. Easiest $100 I ever made.

Of course, afterward, I instantly became upset that I didn't think of betting against the moribund 'Stros sooner.

I probably could have cleared nearly $1k that week alone! D'oh!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 pm 

Marco Scutaro, Giants, wore the incorrect uniform last night. How he thought anyone would miss it is beyond me...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

Attachments:
scutarojersey.jpg
scutarojersey.jpg [ 30 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Last edited by val on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:12 pm 

val wrote:
Marco Scutaro, Giants, wore the incorrect uniform last night.

Story on MLB Network this morning made reference to Scutaro putting it on - purposefully - as a "rally jersey" when team was down 4 to Houston. He only wore it for an inning. Call me crazy but I personally think that was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:15 pm 

Why does San Francisco have two different road gray jerseys?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:23 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
val wrote:
Marco Scutaro, Giants, wore the incorrect uniform last night.

Story on MLB Network this morning made reference to Scutaro putting it on - purposefully - as a "rally jersey" when team was down 4 to Houston. He only wore it for an inning. Call me crazy but I personally think that was pretty cool.

Well, if he was doing it as a rally jersey, that would be great. Esp in that they did rally that inning. The yahoo sport article I linked to did not claim it was purposeful, but more hopefully inadvertant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:31 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:

Because they're special?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:35 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:

C'mon Judge . . . really? Merchandise sales!.

In all seriousness, it is my understanding that the grey SF jersey is a lightweight batting practice jersey similar to the black Pirates P jersey. They may also have an orange batting practice jersey or a black batting practice jersey . . . don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:54 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Judge Landis wrote:

C'mon Judge . . . really? Merchandise sales!.

Hrm. I can't imagine that gray road jerseys are such huge sellers, but I'm not in marketing, so who knows.

As opposed to every other facet in my life, I am a staunch conservative when it comes to baseball uniforms. Therefore, I give Mr. Scutaro a thumbs down for his little stunt; strict adherence to uniform standards is one of the things that separates baseball from beer league softball. For shame, Mr. Scutaro. For shame. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
The Houston Astros suck. No, I mean, they really, really suck.

I almost had to make a thread about the Astros historically bad season the other day.

Perhaps the most shocking thing about their current 40-91 record (imagine how catastrophic those numbers would look if they hadn't managed that fortieth win and were sitting at 39-92) is that they actually played around .500 through the first month and a half or so. That's not entirely shocking, a lot of weak teams typically stay competitive through April/May, as we can attest to as Pirates fans. But they literally scratched out over half of their wins over that span, in large part thanks to a couple of guys hitting out of their minds (Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez). Clutch hitting in particular from the latter, I went to a Reds/Stros game here in early May and I believe I recall him driving in 30 or so runs already, he currently has 54. And about that road record - don't forget that just two years ago the Pirates only won 17 games on the road. Of course, their season was pretty much predicted. I recall seeing a pre-season article that the 2012 Astros were the worst team ever projected according to CAIRO. And, well, they lost 107 games last year and were expected to finish the firing sale this year, which they did, moving a couple viable pieces in Wandy and Lee.

I thought they might end up finishing with a modern era's worst record, but I was reminded of the '03 Tigers 43-119 finish, which Houston should be able to top (though it being close certainly isn't out of the question). But we'll see if they finish below the '04 Diamondbacks and their 51-win season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next