Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Gotta work counts and make those aces throw hittable strikes...

Ding ding ding. You are the winner JC. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:09 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
How do other teams handle good starters?

Well, the Reds knocked around Stephen Strasburg for 6 runs and a win while the Braves scored 4 runs in 5 2/3 innings thrown by Jeff Samardzija. Gotta work counts and make those aces throw hittable strikes...

Szmardjia also struck out 12 in 5 2/3 innings. 4 hits; 4 walks; 12 Ks in 5 2/3.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Gotta work counts and make those aces throw hittable strikes...

Ding ding ding. You are the winner JC. 8-)

What is the #1 problem with the Pirates offense the last few years? K:BB ratio, I have marveled for years at how such a Saber friendly front office can construct a team that ignores the primary concept of OBP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:45 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
What is the #1 problem with the Pirates offense the last few years? K:BB ratio, I have marveled for years at how such a Saber friendly front office can construct a team that ignores the primary concept of OBP.

And that is the most basic sabermetric building block.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
How do other teams handle good starters?

Well, the Reds knocked around Stephen Strasburg for 6 runs and a win while the Braves scored 4 runs in 5 2/3 innings thrown by Jeff Samardzija. Gotta work counts and make those aces throw hittable strikes...

Szmardjia also struck out 12 in 5 2/3 innings. 4 hits; 4 walks; 12 Ks in 5 2/3.

You can deal with 12 Ks if you score 4 runs and chase the guy in 5 2/3 innings...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:32 am 

First bench-clearing brawl of the year tonight in San Diego, after Zack Greinke plunks Carlos Quintin and he charges the mound. The best part is hearing the fight called by Vin Scully, especially around the middle of this video when Matt Kemp starts repeatedly yelling "that's bullshit" after Greinke is ejected, to which Scully commentates "that's fertilizer, that's fertilizer" he keeps yelling. http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/video ... 1&c_id=mlb

Edit: and the Dodgers just announced that Greinke has a fractured left collarbone. Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 am 

Reports are Kemp and Quinton had to be separated in the tunnel after the game. The series next week should be interesting. What are the odds Quinton doesn't get drilled even though I'm sure there will be warnings before the game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

I would throw eephus pitches at him all series.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am 

Whither the DH...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91586 ... -spread-nl

Quote:
What's the toughest part of playing interleague games one series at a time from April to September? Putting a roster together that can function by the other league's rules. That's more challenging than ever, now that teams no longer have most of their interleague games scheduled in one block in June.

"When I was with the Diamondbacks," said Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto, "we signed Wily Mo Pena as a minor league free agent [in 2011], brought him to spring training as a non-roster player and then sent him to Triple-A, with the express idea that when we reached this nine-game window in June where we were playing in American League parks, he was going to play on our big league team and be our DH. He wound up coming up, hitting a couple of home runs, won us a game in Kansas City and then nine days later he was designated for assignment."

But that trick doesn't work anymore. Now, when teams might play an interleague road series every other month, they're struggling with how to construct their roster for three games here and two games there. So this spring, nine general managers got together in Arizona for a pizza night and came up with this brainstorm:

Expand rosters to 26 players, just for each interleague series. Then, afterward, the player who was recalled would have to be sent back to the minor leagues.

"It makes a lot of sense," said Brewers GM Doug Melvin. "If you're a National League team going to an American League park, you don't need pinch-hitters, but you may want to carry an extra pitcher. If you're an American League team going to a National League park, you may want an extra, versatile player so you can make a double switch, which American League teams don't normally do."

It's too late for this idea to take effect this season. But GMs are expected to vote after the season on whether to propose it to baseball's rules committee for consideration for 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 am 
 WWW  Profile

Great article val. They better never change the DH rule in the NL. That being said, I love the idea of giving teams a 26th player on the roster for interleague games. It probably won't happen because it makes too much sense.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Great article val. They better never change the DH rule in the NL. That being said, I love the idea of giving teams a 26th player on the roster for interleague games. It probably won't happen because it makes too much sense.

Jayson Stark is my all time favorite baseball writer. I'm sort of a groupie...

Stark used to write for the Philadelphia Inquirer and during the season he would get an entire page of the paper for his this week in baseball column. It was great, I could pour over the feature for an hour, getting two or three reads. I used to show up for work at 6:00am just so's I'd have the time to read it thoroughly.

One time I was a party at a friend's and after an hour or so, I was introduced to him. He said his name was Jayson Stark and I'm pretty sure I embarrassed him thoroughly raving to everyone gathered just how great his column was. I was much cooler when I had dinner with Harold Baines or lunch with Linda Hamilton or the time I picked up Meatloaf as a hitchhiker...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:12 am 

Is this true?

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9186 ... s-one-take

Quote:
TOPIC: Arizona Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick forces visiting Dodgers fans sitting behind home plate to either switch suites or change out of their Dodgers shirts and into Diamondbacks gear.

ONE TAKE: OK, I can understand: (A) the D-backs insisting the Dodgers fans follow the policy that's already in place: Don't wear the opposing teams' stuff. And I can understand: (B) the Dodgers fans wanting to keep the seats, since they paid more than $3,000 combined. But I will never understand: (C) Them changing into Diamondbacks gear bought for them by the owner.

Somewhere, Tommy Lasorda is choking on his rigatoni.

I don't go to a whole lot of games live, but is this par for the course? You can't wear opposing teams gear?

Of course, if they didn't bring a change of clothes to a game, what else were they going to do?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm 

From Jayson Stark:

Astounding Fact of the Week

This is a 100 percent true fact: The Indians really did take a 14-0 lead in the second inning Saturday. Meanwhile, the Browns have also held a 14-0 lead once …

In their last 80 games!

We kid you not. Here at World Rumblings and Grumblings Headquarters, it's the facts and just the facts. You know that.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 pm 

Interesting piece on the still-bottoming out Astros....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/927 ... ton-astros

Quote:
The Astros could be bad, spend a modest amount on payroll, and have the benefit of a good draft position. Or they could be awful, spend a tiny amount on payroll, and have the tremendous benefits that go with the best draft position. The latter option saves millions of dollars and will probably lead to a faster rebuilding process. The downside is that you have to put up with people snickering at you for a while. It seems like a fair tradeoff.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 pm 

Speaking of the Astros, they just confirmed that Robbie Grossman is their CF of the (immediate) future.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 am 

Interesting piece on the definition of a Maddux (which we'll rarely ever see anymore): starting pitcher who throws a complete game shutout and does so without going over 99 pitches.

http://groundballwitheyes.blogspot.com/ ... addux.html

Quote:
* It's hard to strike too many guys out in a Maddux, because of course Ks require a minimum of three pitches. Yet, on ten different occasions, a pitcher has managed to hit a double-digit strikeout total while twirling a Maddux. The record: 12 strikeouts, by Cliff Lee, on April 14th, 2011, against the Nationals.

* On the other hand, Zane Smith and Tom Glavine each managed to throw a Maddux without striking anyone out. Well played, sirs.

* Walks are the death knell of the Maddux. 145 of the 256 Madduxes since 1988 (57%) were accomplished with zero walks, though Mike Witt and Chuck Finley were each able to throw one while walking four batters.

* On August 3rd, 2004, Carlos Silva somehow threw a Maddux while giving up 11 hits. They were all singles, and he got four double play balls. Living dangerously, Carlos, living dangerously.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

There is of course, a trick to pitching a Maddux that includes slipping some type of psychotropic into the umpires water before that game to make the plate look twice as large as it actually is.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 am 
 WWW  Profile

The Cardinals just...won't...lose. How nice it would be to have the Royals on the Interleague schedule every season.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Really? Because I know that I don't go out of my way to watch the Royals, but will got to watch teams like Boston or Detroit.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Speaking of the Astros, they just confirmed that Robbie Grossman is their CF of the (immediate) future.

And he just got sent down to Oklahoma City this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next