Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2199
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him? Yeah he isn't great on defensive, and he is having a bad season at the plate (by his standards), but he would have been an upgrade at our most obvious hole on the team (shortstop).
I think the Marlins would have thrown in some money too, if the Pirate's would have not requested the services of Choate, and gave a better package of prospects...I don't know I just think a move for Ramirez would have made this team alot better then the move they made for Rodriguez.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 1045
Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him?


Nope. Not in the least. I'm actually very happy the Pirates weren't even mentioned as possible suitors.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:04 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Way too far from Pittsburgh.....
Tommy Gunn wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him?


Nope. Not in the least. I'm actually very happy the Pirates weren't even mentioned as possible suitors.

Agreed. Not saying we don't need an upgrade offensively at SS - but not him, thanks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him? Yeah he isn't great on defensive, and he is having a bad season at the plate (by his standards), but he would have been an upgrade at our most obvious hole on the team (shortstop).
I think the Marlins would have thrown in some money too, if the Pirate's would have not requested the services of Choate, and gave a better package of prospects...I don't know I just think a move for Ramirez would have made this team alot better then the move they made for Rodriguez.


I proposed a deal for him in the "All In" thread yesterday (I expected his price tag to be a bit higher). It was financially impossible for us to take on his full $16 million salary, but he would have been a heck of an upgrade at SS.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 1197
I'm very surprised at how little he went for, considering he was one of the best offensive players in the game and is still young.

I would have rather gambled on Upton than him, though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7302
For that price? Yeah.

Still, this bodes well for the Pirates other trade options.

I mean, with teams just giving away Ichiro and Hanley types, NH and the Bucs can surely make a splash.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 1045
The reason Hanley went with little in return to Miami is because of his high priced contract. That is a huge risk to take on someone who hasn't had a good season since 2009 and is a whackadoo. The Pirates would not have been able to afford the contract along with the risk. Hanley was bound to go to a high revenue team sooner or later.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 2329
Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him? Yeah he isn't great on defensive, and he is having a bad season at the plate (by his standards), but he would have been an upgrade at our most obvious hole on the team (shortstop).
I think the Marlins would have thrown in some money too, if the Pirate's would have not requested the services of Choate, and gave a better package of prospects...I don't know I just think a move for Ramirez would have made this team alot better then the move they made for Rodriguez.


Umm, I'll take the D of Barmes over Hanley ANY day of the week.

With the type of pitchers we have the D of the SS is too important to overlook for a few points in batting average and some HR's. We aren't in need of a power bat anyways.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 5386
Location: Economy, PA
Ramirez and Ichiro were very different.

The Marlins just wanted to get someone to take over the payments on the late model Porsche that's not running right. Ichiro is the 1998 Mercedes with 190k on it. Seattle was happy to get anything for it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2199
I still would really like the Pirates to go after one of the few remaining shortstop options. I've been hearing Jimmy Rollins, Stephen Drew, and Yunel Escobar are available. Barmes has just been so terrible offensively, they gotta get an upgrade.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7302
Ralphie wrote:
Ramirez and Ichiro were very different.

The Marlins just wanted to get someone to take over the payments on the late model Porsche that's not running right. Ichiro is the 1998 Mercedes with 190k on it. Seattle was happy to get anything for it.


Actually Seattle was dumb enough to trade him [about two years] too late and has a Japanese owner who gave in to the requests of Ichi for sentimental/honor reasons.

The M's ownership knows how to market their product, their product just sucks and will so long as their current ownership continues their current practices.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 5297
Location: Zelienople, PA
Tommy Gunn wrote:
The reason Hanley went with little in return to Miami is because of his high priced contract. That is a huge risk to take on someone who hasn't had a good season since 2009 and is a whackadoo. The Pirates would not have been able to afford the contract along with the risk. Hanley was bound to go to a high revenue team sooner or later.


Ahhh, this is why this board is great. The proper use of "whackadoo" in a sentence.

ZM

_________________
The perpetually missing headline: "Capitalism worked okay again today, and most people in the world got a little better off."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:47 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 7081
Agree Mike..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ZelieMike and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits