Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 am 

Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him? Yeah he isn't great on defensive, and he is having a bad season at the plate (by his standards), but he would have been an upgrade at our most obvious hole on the team (shortstop).
I think the Marlins would have thrown in some money too, if the Pirate's would have not requested the services of Choate, and gave a better package of prospects...I don't know I just think a move for Ramirez would have made this team alot better then the move they made for Rodriguez.

Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 am 

Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him?

Nope. Not in the least. I'm actually very happy the Pirates weren't even mentioned as possible suitors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am 

Tommy Gunn wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him?

Nope. Not in the least. I'm actually very happy the Pirates weren't even mentioned as possible suitors.

Agreed. Not saying we don't need an upgrade offensively at SS - but not him, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 am 

Ryann wrote:
Is anyone else really wishing the Pirate's would have gotten him? Yeah he isn't great on defensive, and he is having a bad season at the plate (by his standards), but he would have been an upgrade at our most obvious hole on the team (shortstop).
I think the Marlins would have thrown in some money too, if the Pirate's would have not requested the services of Choate, and gave a better package of prospects...I don't know I just think a move for Ramirez would have made this team alot better then the move they made for Rodriguez.

I proposed a deal for him in the "All In" thread yesterday (I expected his price tag to be a bit higher). It was financially impossible for us to take on his full $16 million salary, but he would have been a heck of an upgrade at SS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:00 am 

I'm very surprised at how little he went for, considering he was one of the best offensive players in the game and is still young.

I would have rather gambled on Upton than him, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:52 pm 

For that price? Yeah.

Still, this bodes well for the Pirates other trade options.

I mean, with teams just giving away Ichiro and Hanley types, NH and the Bucs can surely make a splash.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm 

The reason Hanley went with little in return to Miami is because of his high priced contract. That is a huge risk to take on someone who hasn't had a good season since 2009 and is a whackadoo. The Pirates would not have been able to afford the contract along with the risk. Hanley was bound to go to a high revenue team sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Umm, I'll take the D of Barmes over Hanley ANY day of the week.

With the type of pitchers we have the D of the SS is too important to overlook for a few points in batting average and some HR's. We aren't in need of a power bat anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm 

Ramirez and Ichiro were very different.

The Marlins just wanted to get someone to take over the payments on the late model Porsche that's not running right. Ichiro is the 1998 Mercedes with 190k on it. Seattle was happy to get anything for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm 

I still would really like the Pirates to go after one of the few remaining shortstop options. I've been hearing Jimmy Rollins, Stephen Drew, and Yunel Escobar are available. Barmes has just been so terrible offensively, they gotta get an upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Ramirez and Ichiro were very different.

The Marlins just wanted to get someone to take over the payments on the late model Porsche that's not running right. Ichiro is the 1998 Mercedes with 190k on it. Seattle was happy to get anything for it.

Actually Seattle was dumb enough to trade him [about two years] too late and has a Japanese owner who gave in to the requests of Ichi for sentimental/honor reasons.

The M's ownership knows how to market their product, their product just sucks and will so long as their current ownership continues their current practices.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Tommy Gunn wrote:
The reason Hanley went with little in return to Miami is because of his high priced contract. That is a huge risk to take on someone who hasn't had a good season since 2009 and is a whackadoo. The Pirates would not have been able to afford the contract along with the risk. Hanley was bound to go to a high revenue team sooner or later.

Ahhh, this is why this board is great. The proper use of "whackadoo" in a sentence.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:47 am 

Agree Mike..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)