Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BALK!
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 pm 

If the rules people have their way, the fake to third throw to 1st move will be a balk next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 06859.html

Quote:
Of course, it's worth asking the question why the rules committee is spending time on this and not others like instant replay. Was this move really such a big problem that it needed extra attention? Do they think taking away part of the pitcher's control of the running game — and it's debatable just how much control this move really creates — will produce more offense?

I am so glad Bud Selig is leading Major League Baseball into the future...No replays, inconsistant strike zones, umpires blowing obvious calls at the plate. But hey, the All Star Game has meaning!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: BALK!
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 pm 

Bad umpiring always was and always will be part of the game.

The only thing I ask is that they closely monitor the umpires, to make sure they are competent and are following the rules. And that includes not allowing them to routinely call strikes on pitches 3 inches outside.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
If the rules people have their way, the fake to third throw to 1st move will be a balk next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 06859.html

Quote:
Of course, it's worth asking the question why the rules committee is spending time on this and not others like instant replay. Was this move really such a big problem that it needed extra attention? Do they think taking away part of the pitcher's control of the running game — and it's debatable just how much control this move really creates — will produce more offense?

I am so glad Bud Selig is leading Major League Baseball into the future...No replays, inconsistant strike zones, umpires blowing obvious calls at the plate. But hey, the All Star Game has meaning!

Jim Memolo and Jeff Nelson were discussing this proposed new rule this morning on MLB Network Radio. Apparently the new rule's reasoning is that the fake throw to 3rd is being "deceptive to the baserunner". Nelson was particularly disgusted with the proposed rule, as he utilized the move regularly during his playing days. His argument is that if MLB were to rule that a balk, then it should similarly rule many left-handed pickoff moves that are "deceptive to the baserunner". And then, of course, he went down the slippery slope of "Why not rule all pickoff moves a balk?"

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 pm 

A lefty cannot do the move... It is a balk to fake to first then go to third....It never works anyways....at least hardly ever..... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
A lefty cannot do the move... It is a balk to fake to first then go to third....It never works anyways....at least hardly ever..... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Nelson was talking about lefty pickoff moves that go straight to first, particularly the ones where it looks like the pitcher is in a windup and then moves toward first base, a la Andy Petitte. Sorry that it wasn't clear in my initial post.

Anyway, the rationale that it is "deceptive to the baserunner" did not hold a lot of water with Nelson (or me, for that matter). The whole point of a good pickoff move is to deceive the runner into thinking that a pitch is being thrown. If "deceptive to the baserunner" was a good rationale, then the hidden ball trick should be similarly outlawed.

Memolo was of the opinion that once a baserunner takes his foot off the base, he willingly puts himself at risk of being tagged out. I tend to agree.

Last edited by Willton on Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm 

You cannot wind up and go to first.... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You cannot wind up and go to first.... :? :? :?

Tell that to Andy Pettitte.

And in any event, I said that the move looks like a windup, not that it was one.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm 

Well you either wind up or go from the stretch. There is no gray area there.... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Well you either wind up or go from the stretch. There is no gray area there.... 8-)

Okay, fine, but you know what I'm talking about: the move where it appears that the LHP is ready to deliver a pitch, and then he throws to first. Pettitte perfected it in the 90's and 00's. Oliver Perez did it a fair amount too when he was with the Bucs. I don't remember either pitcher being called for a balk based on the move.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:01 pm 

I always wanted to see a left-hander lift his right leg straight up and ....

Just hold it there. Hold it for 5 seconds. 10 seconds. I know a lot of pitching coaches have pitchers practice by holding at key spots in their deliveries to insure good balance.

That move would rock. The base runner would never be able to figure out where the heck the guy is going.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I always wanted to see a left-hander lift his right leg straight up and ....

Just hold it there. Hold it for 5 seconds. 10 seconds.

:lol: