Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sipping the Kool-Aid once again . . .
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:44 pm 

Whatever discussion good or bad(about DL) always will come back to this.

Chris Young for Matt Herges(released before the season)

'Nuff said...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Actually, Bautista is plan B for third base. Plan A is struggling in Indianapolis right now. Bautista is a placeholder for Walker. Why expend any sort of resources to bring in a slightly better placeholder?

Uhh, what's Plan C? Heard someone on the radio last week, a national writer who specializes in scouting (sorry that I don't remember his name), who said that many major league scouts outside the Pirate's organization don't think that Walker will ever be successful on the big league level as a third baseman. We'll see...

nad69dan wrote:
only Duke has a 1st inning under 4.00

Wow. Hadn't realized this. That's amazing considering that the line on Duke in the last two years seemed to be, "if we can get through the 1st inning, we might be ok."

BM

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm 

burghermeister... good to see you back in the fray.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:55 pm 

Thanks PF13. Been reading all along. Just haven't had much time to post.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I see something in Osoria as well. His sinker is filthy. He lacks consistency, and he lacks a pitch that can get lefties out, but he could become an outstanding pitcher if he ever gets straightened out.

He is actually very consistent. He throws belt high sinkers almost exclusively. And what is filthy are the results.

That's his problem. His command is inconsistent. When his sinker is down he is very effective. When it isn't, he gets bombed. He had horrible outings on consecutive days vs. the Cubs and Marlins in April, but his ERA in all other games is 4.12. I'd keep sending him out there for now. Remember, he's only 26 years old. He can still improve.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm 

All this talk of Kool-Aid is giving me a hankering for some Cherry Kool-Aid. I am gonna call mom and see if she can make some for my next visit. (as a 36yr old my skills in the kitchen have been on the decline, I have been relegated to the bench)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:31 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
All this talk of Kool-Aid is giving me a hankering for some Cherry Kool-Aid. I am gonna call mom and see if she can make some for my next visit. (as a 36yr old my skills in the kitchen have been on the decline, I have been relegated to the bench)

My Cooking Skills are like Roger Clemens (the last 3 years)...joining in for the pennant drive...

I can bake an awesome cake from scratch when I feel like it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:04 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I see something in Osoria as well. His sinker is filthy. He lacks consistency, and he lacks a pitch that can get lefties out, but he could become an outstanding pitcher if he ever gets straightened out.

He is actually very consistent. He throws belt high sinkers almost exclusively. And what is filthy are the results.

That's his problem. His command is inconsistent. When his sinker is down he is very effective. When it isn't, he gets bombed. He had horrible outings on consecutive days vs. the Cubs and Marlins in April, but his ERA in all other games is 4.12. I'd keep sending him out there for now. Remember, he's only 26 years old. He can still improve.

When they called on Osoria tonight, I had a horrible sinking feeling....namely that his pitches wouldn't. But he did in fact get the job done with a tailor-made ground ball double play. I'm still on the fence with him...I probably wouldn't use him in a critical situation like that if I had my choice, but he isn't a mop up guy either.