Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: X Man NL RBI Leader
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:22 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
Xavier Nady now leads the NL with 34 RBI's. Great job X Man!

oops......I shouldn't get too excited.......not really a big deal since RBI's aren't that important....... :?

Why aren't RBIs important?

I wouldn't say it's as telling of a stat as average, slugging, or on base percentage, but is still a key run-producing stat.

I believe BD is referring to those of us that believe that RBI's are not a good stat by which to evaluate players. And our argument is that which you just mentioned...the stat is not nearly as telling as average, slugging, or on base percentage.

That's not to say RBI's aren't important...you obviously need guys who can drive in runs. But in evaluating players, RBI's aren't a good stat, namely because they depend not only on that player's ability to drive in runs, but also the player's teammates' abilities to both get on base and smartly run the bases.

Post subject: Re: X Man NL RBI Leader
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:30 pm 

BBF wrote:
Zane41 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
Xavier Nady now leads the NL with 34 RBI's. Great job X Man!

oops......I shouldn't get too excited.......not really a big deal since RBI's aren't that important....... :?

Why aren't RBIs important?

I wouldn't say it's as telling of a stat as average, slugging, or on base percentage, but is still a key run-producing stat.

I believe BD is referring to those of us that believe that RBI's are not a good stat by which to evaluate players. And our argument is that which you just mentioned...the stat is not nearly as telling as average, slugging, or on base percentage.

That's not to say RBI's aren't important...you obviously need guys who can drive in runs. But in evaluating players, RBI's aren't a good stat, namely because they depend not only on that player's ability to drive in runs, but also the player's teammates' abilities to both get on base and smartly run the bases.

The other main problem is that while one may assert that a team needs guys who can drive in runs, RBI totals don't really tell you who is good at doing so. The RBI is highly context dependent and is affected by a myriad of factors that have nothing to do with the player's actual hitting abilities.

Runs and RBIs are not helpful in determining who the good players are; all they can do is imperfectly capture specific results that determine whether games are won or lost.