Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X Man NL RBI Leader
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 pm 

Xavier Nady now leads the NL with 34 RBI's. Great job X Man!

oops......I shouldn't get too excited.......not really a big deal since RBI's aren't that important....... :?

Post subject: Re: X Man NL RBI Leader
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 pm 

He is also 4th (damn near 3rd) in the NL in batting average.

McLouth is 4th in hits, 3rd in runs, tied for 1st in doubles, and tied for 4th in HRs.

The two are also respectively 9th and 10th in OBP.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 am 

Ryan Doumit would be among the lead leaders in average, slugging and OPS if he had more plate appearances.

Bay is contributing a lot to the offense. He is not hitting like the 2006 Bay yet, but he is getting on base and running the bases well.

Those four guys are driving the offense. Whenever Bautista, Laroche and/or Sanchez contribute, the offense scores a bunch.

I am ignoring SS, but to be fair, Gomez has done as much as anybody could have expected. He is a better hitter than I thought. I remembered him from San Diego, when he just sucked.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am 

You took the words right out of my mouth BD. It will soon be time for the trade Nady posts. This is as much a breakout for him as it is for McLouth. I would not put my money on Pearce at this point. Nady would be hard to reaplace at this time. Do RBI matter. Wonder where we would be without his bat?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:29 pm 

I think that Nady hurt his leg(s). He smoked one down the left field line, and the LF'er picked it up right before the wall. The LF'er was looking to lob it back to the infield via the cut-off man to hold Nady to a double . . .

However, Nady was still on first. He could not make it to second on the hit. I just do not like the way he looked when he jogged to first, but I would not be surprised to hear that he hurt himself in today's game.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 pm 

X-man sure is having a bust out year. He he stays healthy, maybe he can become an All-Star. He sure is right now.

Bucfan, gotta dissgree with your estimate of our offense. Yes, Nady, McLouth, and Doumit are really carrying the team.
But you suggest that Freddy and La Roache are not yet carrying their share while Bay is doing well is not acceptable. As they say, that dog ain't going to hunt.
Freddy is clearly coming out of his funk as exemplified by this Giant series. LaRoache is also coming. He is hitting much better for power and his average is up 100 points in the lasat several weeks. He had the gamer today.Those two are performing even though they both were very slow to starrt.
Bay on the other hand with two RBI hits today is 5 for 25 with men in scoring position. Before today was 3/23. Not exactly what a three or four hitter should be producing. Yes his average is average but as always with him his is no where to be found in clutch situations. At least for now, he should be moved down in the order until he proves he belongs at 3 or 4.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:30 pm 

If Freddy and Nate stay in the #1 and #2 spots, I'd like to see Nady in the 3rd spot and Doumit 4th, and Bay 5th

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:49 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
If Freddy and Nate stay in the #1 and #2 spots, I'd like to see Nady in the 3rd spot and Doumit 4th, and Bay 5th

I prefer having the best on base guy in front of them. Who is going to drive in Bay if he's batting 5th? I could see moving him up to second, but I can't see moving him down at all. I'd say keep this new order.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:02 pm 

One of the main reasons that I don't see Nady keeping up this pace is Jason Bay. If (and hopefully when) Bay starts hitting regularly with RISP, there will be fewer opportunities for Nady to drive in runs. I'd throw LaRoche in there as well, but I don't anticipate that - at least for a significant time - LaRoche will supplant Doumit in the 4 hole. Even if LaRoche starts hitting the ball more consistently.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:18 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:

oops......I shouldn't get too excited.......not really a big deal since RBI's aren't that important....... :?

Why aren't RBIs important?

I wouldn't say it's as telling of a stat as average, slugging, or on base percentage, but is still a key run-producing stat.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:22 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I wouldn't say it's as telling of a stat as average, slugging, or on base percentage, but is still a key run-producing stat.

I believe BD is referring to those of us that believe that RBI's are not a good stat by which to evaluate players. And our argument is that which you just mentioned...the stat is not nearly as telling as average, slugging, or on base percentage.

That's not to say RBI's aren't important...you obviously need guys who can drive in runs. But in evaluating players, RBI's aren't a good stat, namely because they depend not only on that player's ability to drive in runs, but also the player's teammates' abilities to both get on base and smartly run the bases.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:30 pm 

BBF wrote:
Zane41 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I believe BD is referring to those of us that believe that RBI's are not a good stat by which to evaluate players. And our argument is that which you just mentioned...the stat is not nearly as telling as average, slugging, or on base percentage.

That's not to say RBI's aren't important...you obviously need guys who can drive in runs. But in evaluating players, RBI's aren't a good stat, namely because they depend not only on that player's ability to drive in runs, but also the player's teammates' abilities to both get on base and smartly run the bases.

The other main problem is that while one may assert that a team needs guys who can drive in runs, RBI totals don't really tell you who is good at doing so. The RBI is highly context dependent and is affected by a myriad of factors that have nothing to do with the player's actual hitting abilities.

Runs and RBIs are not helpful in determining who the good players are; all they can do is imperfectly capture specific results that determine whether games are won or lost.