Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is it fair to question Jeff Andrews?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm 

The only thing I can think is, hitters adjust through the years. A pitcher who is successful one year may fall off the next due to batters adjusting. In the MLB, pitchers and hitters alike cannot bank on the successes of past years, they need to continually work and retool to avoid the opposition gaining any kind of edge. A point could be made that none of these pitchers have really ever fully developed or they have developed as far as they were going to go. From what I have been seeing is that our pitchers are overmatched, lack control, and lack velocity. This definitely spells disaster if this continues. Honestly, Jeff cannot stand on that mound and throw strikes for them.

Post subject: Re: Is it fair to question Jeff Andrews?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 pm 

I know no one was expecting the Pirates to win the division or any goal like that, maybe Andrews' philosophy is tear them down and rebuild them...

I had that problem as a wrestling coach, getting kids who wrestled in elementary school and were coached by their dads...I would start at the basic techniques and work my way up for the whole team, upper classmen down...State Qualifiers to 1st year kids...
We'd get our butts kicked in on a regular basis at the start of the season, but by the end, had a tough competitive team...

Maybe that is part of the struggles, they're learning new things to be using while pitching...Could Andrews be over his head? Maybe...Maybe he is a good coach getting these guys pointed in the right direction in the minors only, but its been one month into the season, so its still tough to judge...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...