Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 2, 2008 Pirates at Washington Nationals
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:23 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bunting for a base hit is much much different from a sacrifice bunt, where you are bunting to make an out. In this case, with Bautista playing deep, it was a smart call.

Yep, you are correct BBF. Of course, if the bunt ended up being a bad bunt resulting in an out, would it have been a good call? I guess the result is more important than the play itself?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:

Yep, you are correct BBF. Of course, if the bunt ended up being a bad bunt resulting in an out, would it have been a good call? I guess the result is more important than the play itself?

Honestly, with Bautista playing as deep as he was, I wouldn't say it was a bad call, just a phenomenol play by Bautista to get the out. However, you could argue that you don't want to take the bat out of the hands of a power hitter.

And again, we are assuming that he didn't choose to bunt on his own, which IMO, he probably did.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:30 pm 

It seems Dumatrait isn't all that good going through a lineup the second time. Will be interesting to see how long he can last in the rotation.

Of course, going through the rotation once is more than Morris gave you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:37 pm 

Unfortunately, thanks to the long break because of the lights we can't accurately judge Dumatrait. I feel like his command wasn't as sharp coming back, but that could just be hindsight being 20/20.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 pm 

I think it was a good call by JR to have Phil bat for himself so he can get to the 5th inning and go for the win. The delay cooled him down a bit, but I like how he is battling. I think the Bucs found themselves a very good 5th starter. Go Phil! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:49 pm 

Well, having said what I said, JR gave Phil his chance but he started the inning by giving up a base hit. That was Russell's cue to come out and bring Dumatrait out of the game. Another good move. No reason to let Phil out there to get banged up. He left the game with the lead and the knowledge that he pitched a solid game. And if it weren't for the delay, I think he would have made it through the 5th and got the win.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:30 pm 

Bucs 11 Nats 4

Lumber Company 2008! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:59 am 

Phil Dumatrait is showing that he is a major league pitcher. Just not a starter.

The first time through the line-up, his two-pitch repertoire (fastball, slider) is enough. He was throwing some gas against the Nats - 92-93 mph with regularity.

He just does not have a true offspeed pitch. Everything he throws is hard. If he had a curve or change that he could throw for called strikes, then he could be a starter.

I just don't think that starting is where he is going to help the team right now. The games against Philly and the Nats show that for 3 innings, he is a very good pitcher. A left-hander who can come out of the pen and go 3 quality innings is very valuable.

A starter who can go 3-4 innings is not.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:14 am 

I am willing to give Dumatrait at least one more start. The 25 minute game delay due to the lights I'm sure didn't help him. He was motoring along quite well until the delay. I liked what I saw.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:41 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
I am willing to give Dumatrait at least one more start. The 25 minute game delay due to the lights I'm sure didn't help him. He was motoring along quite well until the delay.

He was giving up some pretty hard-hit balls the prior inning, but they were at the Pirate fielders.

He was simply great the first 2 innings. Throwing hard, challenging hitters, getting ahead in the count. Third inning, still decent but not near what he was the first 6 outs.

It may be an issue regarding fatigue, but in innings 4-5 he was missing with the fastball and falling behind in the count. Also, he just does not have the variety of speed to face batters 2 or more times. I really think that his role should be long relief or middle relief - 2 or 3 innnings and done.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:04 am 

It may very well be that Dumatrait's role ends up in long relief, but we don't have many options for that slot right now. JVB has flamed out again and again, Burnett is focusing on relief, Bullington is getting shelled in AAA and we traded Todd Redmond the only other capable starter in our minor leagues. (Not to say that I don't like the trade, but our minor league rotations are either very young or non-existant.)

Dumatrait may learn how to get through a lineup after it turns over and we need to see if he can. If not, hopefully some team will have DFA'd the next Edwin Jackson.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:56 am 

chetthespian wrote:
Dumatrait may learn how to get through a lineup after it turns over and we need to see if he can.

I agree. I'll take my chances (right now) with Phil Dumatrait than any other pitcher in the Pirate Bullpen or at Indy.

Having said that, if Dumatrait can not give us decent 5 to 6 inning games consistently as a 5th starter, I would give JVB one more chance. If JVB bombs again, I would bring Sean Burnett up from Indy. If Burnett bombs........go outside the organization AND FIND SOMEONE! :? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:41 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Phil Dumatrait is showing that he is a major league pitcher. Just not a starter.

The first time through the line-up, his two-pitch repertoire (fastball, slider) is enough. He was throwing some gas against the Nats - 92-93 mph with regularity.

He just does not have a true offspeed pitch. Everything he throws is hard. If he had a curve or change that he could throw for called strikes, then he could be a starter.

I just don't think that starting is where he is going to help the team right now. The games against Philly and the Nats show that for 3 innings, he is a very good pitcher. A left-hander who can come out of the pen and go 3 quality innings is very valuable.

A starter who can go 3-4 innings is not.

Bucfan, he has a change. He didn't show it until the fourth or fifth, though. I have no idea if it's any good.

I have my doubts that he will make it as a starter as well, but I think he's the best candidate the Pirates have at this time, so I'd give him 5 starts or so.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:51 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Bucfan, he has a change. He didn't show it until the fourth or fifth, though. I have no idea if it's any good.

I don't recall seeing a change. He threw a few sliders at 80-82, but I did not see anything that moved away from right-handers, like I would expect from a change.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:54 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I don't recall seeing a change. He threw a few sliders at 80-82, but I did not see anything that moved away from right-handers, like I would expect from a change.

I didn't see the game but I know he does have a change-up.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I can't remember who was doing the color for the game, but he pointed out the changup.