Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uh, Brad, wrong direction, buddy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:31 pm 

Tonight's start for Indianapolis:

3-1/3 innings, 9 hits (among them a triple and three doubles), 8 runs (all earned), 2 walks, and a hit batsman.

Brutal.

Post subject: Re: Uh, Brad, wrong direction, buddy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am 

I sure hope it was a night of bad luck or he's out there working on throwing his chaneup more to get better command of it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am 

Ben Badler at BA really has never liked Lincoln, but yesterday he gave his worst appraisal saying at best he's a 5th starter, more likely a middle reliever. That was before last night's debacle.

On the plus side, he really likes McDonald saying that his 3 pitch stuff doesn't profile as a reliever so it was odd the Dodgers used him that way and that he should be an above average starter with some upside remaining.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:34 pm 

I don't see why he's struggling so much. He has a big-league fastball and an excellent curveball. All he needs to do is develop a decent changeup and he should be able to round into a solid starting pitcher.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:43 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I don't see why he's struggling so much. He has a big-league fastball and an excellent curveball.

His fastball was very solid in his first start, but became much slower and eminently hittable after that. He is not going to succeed throwing 88-90 mph, unless he has pinpoint control ... which he most certainly did not exhibit during his time with the big league club.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:42 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I don't see why he's struggling so much. He has a big-league fastball and an excellent curveball.

His fastball was very solid in his first start, but became much slower and eminently hittable after that. He is not going to succeed throwing 88-90 mph, unless he has pinpoint control ... which he most certainly did not exhibit during his time with the big league club.

I thought I heard someone from the Pirates (Huntington or Russell) say he backed off on his velocity because of control problems. Add that and teams holding off on his curve equals batting practice...

I just hope lastnight's line was a product of working on his changeup or his fastball, something where he was throwing a pitch when he normally wouldn't be throwing that pitch...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:48 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

And that's weird. From all reports I read, his fastball sat comfortably between 92 and 94 mph throughout his work in the minors before his call-up. Where did that go?

Did he willfully slow it down, as dan suggests? Or did his mechanics get out of whack and steal some speed, as NH suggests?

I just hope this kid's head is in the game and he pushes through this. He has talent.