Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report -- 7/1/08
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 am 

Wow, where do I start. It was a game time decision for if I was even going to go to the game tonight, given the usual pathetic performance by the Bucs at Great American Ballpark (including last night's embarrassing loss), but I figured, it's a Tuesday night, nothing going on what the hell. Easily one of the wildest, most exciting (not always in a good way) games I've ever been to. Loads of Pirates fans in attendance tonight, a lot more than the usual turnout.

- Another good start by Duke, and it was nice to see us get to Volquez, a feat only one other team has been able to do all season, in his last start.

- Nate McLouth was the MVP of this game for me. No doubt he had been slumping a bit, but he made up for it big tonight including the big hit in the 11th and a great sliding catch late in the game.

- LaRoche has definitely "found his stroke" if you will in this Cincinnati series. Nice to see. Freddy on the other hand, probably couldn't hit in AAA at this point.

- Doug M really is a great utility bench player to have. Not only has he silently bumped his average up to .268 now, but two great defensive plays today, with the early relay throw to nail Votto at the plate, to the great catch later on.

- The Pirates caught some MAJOR breaks tonight. The first, most notable one in well, I forget what inning it was, when Doumit had to dive back to third after stopping and Encarnacion got ejected. It was a close call since Edwin had to dive to make the tag so I understand the ump's decision, but judging by the replay, we definitely got away with one, and then sac flied Doumit home. The second was when Volquez walked Bay when it seemed like strike 3 and even Bay began to walk back to the dugout thinking he was K'ed.

- Wilson made a GREAT play to nail Phillips (I believe it was) at second after the ball rolled down the third base line. I thought for sure Phillips was going to have a stand-up double easily but what a hustle and throw from Jack. Just a phenomenal play to see be made live.

- On the subject of Jack, he got caught stealing twice tonight where he wasn't even very close, and I'm not sure if this was so much his fault or the signals. I would say he made up for it with his triple in the 11th however, on a play where the diving Griffey Jr couldn't make the catch though he came damn close.

- Once the Pirates went up 3-0 it was only a matter of time before they pissed the lead away. They did not disappoint. Two blown saves in one game, and this after the blown save last night! Only the Pirates, I tell you, only the Pirates. It's simply just that true.

- When we had to bring Sean F'ing Burnett into this game in tie game in the 9th, it just shows the depth of our bullpen.

- Capps. Don't know what's going on with the guy, but it needs to be fixed soon. The lead-off double to Dunn was just terrible.

- When we have to bring in a damn rookie just called up from AAA to try to finish off the game in the 11th, I repeat, it just shows the depth of our bullpen. Speaking of which, welcome to the big leagues, Romulo Sanchez! You're going to get along fine in a Pirates uniform. You already have the name right, but you pretend a strike zone doesn't exist and even when you do finish out a game with a win, you give up a run, leave runners on the corner with the final out, a fly ball to the warning track to a bum like Corey Patterson! It looks like the only thing he has going for him is that he throws hard and he throws fast. And exactly how odd is it that we had a Bautista and Sanchez start today's game and end up having a different set of Bautista and Sanchez pitch in the same game?

Phew. I'll calm down. At least my losing skid is over and the Pirates are now 1-3 while I'm in attendance now. Crazy game but we desperately needed the win. Unfortunately, we're going to need Snell to go a LOT of innings tomorrow with the depleted bullpen which started pitching in the 6th tonight. But we do have Osoria fresh to look forward to!

Post subject: Re: Game Report -- 7/1/08
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 am 

Interesting perspectives. Thanks, Shark.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 am 

Good report Shark. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:12 am 

Well you got to see a true classic.
We might have ruined Volquez' chances at a Cy Young.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:24 am 

Thanks for the game report, Shark. They are always much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 am 

On one of Wilson's caught stealings, he wasn't running on the pitch but took off when he saw it hit the dirt, anticipating that the ball would not be caught. Ross corralled the bounce and easily threw out Wilson. Just a little too aggressive.

Romulo Sanchez pitched for us last year. Not really fair to judge him based just on last night's appearance. Give him some time to settle in.

Speaking of which, Burnett is starting to get people out more consistently now. Remember that he is new to being a reliever.

Overall the pitching staff is abysmal. We have the worst batting average against, the worst ERA, only 2 teams have walked more than us, and only one has given up more runs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 am 

Ralphie wrote:
On one of Wilson's caught stealings, he wasn't running on the pitch but took off when he saw it hit the dirt, anticipating that the ball would not be caught. Ross corralled the bounce and easily threw out Wilson. Just a little too aggressive.

I'd say just the right amount aggressive actually. 9 times out of 10, he's safe on that play. A combination of a lucky bounce and good hands by Ross allowed him to get rid of the ball very quickly. Good move by Wilson, it just didn't pan out. He should do exactly the same thing next time.

BM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:03 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Romulo Sanchez pitched for us last year. Not really fair to judge him based just on last night's appearance. Give him some time to settle in.

Yeah, I had completely forgotten. Thanks for pointing it out.