Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 am 

I attended the game tonight and one thing i noticed during the delay stuck out to me.The game was delayed in the top of the 3rd at 8:00pm and they didnt cancel the game til after 11.Thats not what bothered me , what bothered me was the fact that i saw them cleaning up the bullpen and the dugouts of the gatoraide coolers and everything.They weren't waiting out the delay.An hour into the delay everything is cleaned up and gone except the field crew.I also heard from a number of the autograph chasers(they stand outside the game where the teams leave from down by the river) that by 9:30 all the pirate players had left and that the Yankees were gone a half hour to fourty five minutes before them.Why is baseball allowed to do this when they know they aren't going to start playing again and it's just to milk everyone that attended for their money at the concession stands.This is the 4th rainout ive attended over the last couple years and it really bothers me.Also incase you missed it , tonights game is re-scheduled for July 10th

Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:18 am 

Baseball is the only outdoor sport that will postpone a game because of rain. Well maybe golf but nobody cares unless Tiger is playing Every other major sport that is played outside is played in the rain. Only lightning should delay or stop a game. Dont feed me the BS about the playing conditions being dangerous. No different than any other outdoor sport. Sure the mud and wetness will alter what would be ideal playing conditions. Bottom line....dont treat baseball like a pansy game.
...and another thing....why dont the stats count? Could you imagine if a milestone hitting streak or HR record is reached, only to be erased because of the stupid rule to start a game that was played all over again. You mean it did not happen, the partial game was a mirage? WTF?
If you are going to stop a game, whenever it is played again, all stats of that game should count and the game should resume right where it was stopped. I bet alot of people came in from out of town to see the Yanks and were cheated out of the game they paid to see. Think they are going to be able to make plans to fly in again whenever the game is going to be replayed?

Play in the rain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 am 

Colin21 wrote:
The game was delayed in the top of the 3rd at 8:00pm and they didnt cancel the game til after 11.

Are you sure about this? I could have sworn that Lanny called the game around 10PM on FSN. Anybody else able to back me on this? Or was I being delusional (again).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:03 am 

Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
The game was delayed in the top of the 3rd at 8:00pm and they didnt cancel the game til after 11.

Are you sure about this? I could have sworn that Lanny called the game around 10PM on FSN. Anybody else able to back me on this? Or was I being delusional (again).

You are correct. It was 10 when FSN came back and announced the game was postponed. At that time you could hear the announcement over the PA system at the stadium, and see the people filing out. Perhaps you were in the restroom at the time and missed it, Colin?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:29 am 

Blah, blah, blah, BH. The only reason that football plays in the rain is because it has to. Football's schedule is so rigid that teams are forced to play in whatever conditions the day presents. Baseball is not so rigid: teams have the luxury and flexibility to reschedule games due to bad weather. It's not about who's tough and who's not. It's about who has the flexibility and who does not.

Believe me, rain does make it dangerous for players of all sports to play their games. I'm sure football players are more likely to get injured in the rain than in dry weather. But the interests of money (CBS, ABC, FOX, etc.) and rigid scheduling always seem to win out over the health of the players, especially considering how fungible those players are.

So don't give us this nonsense about football is manly and baseball is a pansy game. At least baseball isn't played in a sterylized environment (i.e. dome) where the weather has no effect on the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:55 am 

Football can be played the next day or the day before(and its been done) so its not the schedule. Baseball can play double headers, but there are not that many open dates. I dont think rain makes it that much more dangerous....just makes for a sloppy game...football players do not get injured more in wet conditions. There are plenty of baseball teams that play indoors. Suck it up and play in the rain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 am 

Willton wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, BH. The only reason that football plays in the rain is because it has to. Football's schedule is so rigid that teams are forced to play in whatever conditions the day presents. Baseball is not so rigid: teams have the luxury and flexibility to reschedule games due to bad weather. It's not about who's tough and who's not. It's about who has the flexibility and who does not.

Believe me, rain does make it dangerous for players of all sports to play their games. I'm sure football players are more likely to get injured in the rain than in dry weather. But the interests of money (CBS, ABC, FOX, etc.) and rigid scheduling always seem to win out over the health of the players, especially considering how fungible those players are.

So don't give us this nonsense about football is manly and baseball is a pansy game. At least baseball isn't played in a sterylized environment (i.e. dome) where the weather has no effect on the game.

Oh come on, Econo...is it really worth the argument? Further, while I have no clue what BH is trying to argue here, it is a moot point.

THERE. WAS. LIGHTNING.

A lot of lightning. Last time I checked, NFL games aren't played in electrical storms either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 am 

Two of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard here.

The players left before the game was called. Yeah right. What were you on?

And baseball should be played in heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Those arguments are so stupid, I would demean myself to attempt to explain how stupid they are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 am 
Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

They Canceled at 10:25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
Baseball is the only outdoor sport that will postpone a game because of rain. Well maybe golf but nobody cares unless Tiger is playing Every other major sport that is played outside is played in the rain. Only lightning should delay or stop a game. Dont feed me the BS about the playing conditions being dangerous. No different than any other outdoor sport. Sure the mud and wetness will alter what would be ideal playing conditions. Bottom line....dont treat baseball like a pansy game.
...and another thing....why dont the stats count? Could you imagine if a milestone hitting streak or HR record is reached, only to be erased because of the stupid rule to start a game that was played all over again. You mean it did not happen, the partial game was a mirage? WTF?
If you are going to stop a game, whenever it is played again, all stats of that game should count and the game should resume right where it was stopped. I bet alot of people came in from out of town to see the Yanks and were cheated out of the game they paid to see. Think they are going to be able to make plans to fly in again whenever the game is going to be replayed?

Play in the rain

I've long thought the same thing, BH. Play in the rain, but not in lightning. So long as both teams are playing in same conditions, it is fair.

Similarly, I get pissed when golfers start crying about someone being loud when they're trying to make a swing. So a baseball player has to try to hit a ball moving 95 mph and moving all over the place while people yell and scream and that's OK. BUt a golfer needs total silence to hit a ball that is sitting still?

But in both of these cases, the sports are the way they are and that won't change, so I don't let it get to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:03 pm 
Willton wrote:

"Rigid Schedule" ... hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:18 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Only lightning should delay or stop a game.
Play in the rain

I've long thought the same thing, BH. Play in the rain, but not in lightning. So long as both teams are playing in same conditions, it is fair.

Similarly, I get pissed when golfers start crying about someone being loud when they're trying to make a swing. So a baseball player has to try to hit a ball moving 95 mph and moving all over the place while people yell and scream and that's OK. BUt a golfer needs total silence to hit a ball that is sitting still?

But in both of these cases, the sports are the way they are and that won't change, so I don't let it get to me.[/quote]

[url]Golf and Tennis. I enjoy playing both...but you're right. I dont think it would bother me to have a bunch of people screaming when I'm trying to make a shot..however when my of my golf pals crack a joke just before I swing and hit the ball will screw me up.
And I said...dont play when its lightning. I live just north of Pgh and it was not lighting all night. I cant say I was watching the sky every second...too busy laughing watching George Carlin on HBO[/url]

Last edited by bullishhitter on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 pm 

I've played soccer and football in high school and baseball, and baseball is totally different because of the demand of throwing the ball that gets heavy after the rain soaks into it and players swinging wooden bats with bad grips that can cause injury to spectators...

Yes the NFL has moved games because of weather...they're called hurricanes (major storms)...not because of a threat a 60% chance of rain

Football can change their game plan to go along with the weather, like running the ball more, short passes and dumps to running backs...You can't do that in baseball...

I know its pointless to argue with some of the posters on this, but I did anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm 
nad69dan wrote:
I've played soccer and football in high school and baseball, and baseball is totally different because of the demand of throwing the ball that gets heavy after the rain soaks into it and players swinging wooden bats with bad grips that can cause injury to spectators...

Yes the NFL has moved games because of weather...they're called hurricanes (major storms)...not because of a threat a 60% chance of rain

Football can change their game plan to go along with the weather, like running the ball more, short passes and dumps to running backs...You can't do that in baseball...

I know its pointless to argue with some of the posters on this, but I did anyway...

Good point on the safety of the spectators. Hadn't thought of that.

I'd still like to see the game played in the rain, but it'll never happen. Each sport has its own tradition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:35 pm 

Games have been played in the rain...its when its a total downpour or lightning that its stopped...I've heard many times on TV games while it was raining the announcers were surprised the game wasnt delayed!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 pm 

From Bob Prince -

"It's the 7th and deciding game of the 1925 World Series. Rain by the buckets full at Forbes Field. Kiki Cuyler hits one down the right field line, 2 runs score, and the Pirates go on to win 9 - 7. Oh! How sweet it was!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:24 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
... baseball is totally different because of the demand of throwing the ball that gets heavy after the rain soaks into it and players swinging wooden bats with bad grips that can cause injury to spectators...

Football can change their game plan to go along with the weather, like running the ball more, short passes and dumps to running backs...You can't do that in baseball....

A football gets soaked too...gets heavy..hard to throw, catch, hold on to....same for both teams. As per bats...you gotta be kidding....you could stand under a waterfall and swing a bat and you are not going to let it fly out of your hands.....most times a bat flys into the stands when it is broke or the batter is fooled by the pitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:43 pm 

A steady rain greatly diminishes the hitters ability to see the ball. Considering the split second it takes to react to a pitch, things could become extremely dangerous for the hitter on a 95 mph heater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm 

Argentum wrote:
A steady rain greatly diminishes the hitters ability to see the ball. Considering the split second it takes to react to a pitch, things could become extremely dangerous for the hitter on a 95 mph heater.

Not true..you can see finein a steady rain....only if its a deluge will vision be impaired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Not to mention the catcher and umpire, who despite their protective gear, can still suffer injuries to their unprotected areas from errant pitches that they can't see well.