Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want Chacon back?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 am 

Astros suspend him indefinitely for trying to strangle Ed Wade. No, for serious.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8283692?MSNHPHMA

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Want Chacon back?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 am 

Too bad he didn't do that to Dave Littlefield for keeping him in the bullpen last year!!!

Seriously, wow, I'd like to know the real story...I'm sure there was more to it than that!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 am 

Wow, Chacon must be a real badass!! I mean who in their right mind would take on a physical specimen such as Ed Wade?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Too bad he didn't do that to Dave Littlefield !!

Nutting too :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:10 am 

If any bit of what Chacon says about the altercation is true, then Wade is a Grade A ass. I feel the embarrassment of Houston fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am 

Don't know anything about Wade's personality, but Chacon always was an ass. However, in his time in Pittsburgh he seemed like a stand up guy. Hard to say if Chacon's story is true, but Lance Berkman's comments don't back him up much. Sounds like he was being a baby about being sent to the bullpen. It's not like they didn't give him ample opportunity in the rotation. And amazingly he SUCKED! He has always overvalued his own talents so I'm not surprised....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Don't know anything about Wade's personality, but Chacon always was an ass. However, in his time in Pittsburgh he seemed like a stand up guy. Hard to say if Chacon's story is true, but Lance Berkman's comments don't back him up much. Sounds like he was being a baby about being sent to the bullpen. It's not like they didn't give him ample opportunity in the rotation. And amazingly he SUCKED! He has always overvalued his own talents so I'm not surprised....

I'm not so sure it's Chacon being a baby as it is Wade handling the situation poorly. When Chacon was moved to the pen in Pittsburgh, we never heard a story like this. I'm sure Chacon was not happy about it, but there were no blow-ups, no tantrums, and certainly no physical altercations; otherwise, I imagine we would have heard about it. Now Chacon is sent to bullpen in Houston, but he ends up getting in a fight with the GM. What changed?

Maybe Chacon has some sense of entitlement this time around, but I feel like Wade could have sent him to the bullpen without getting all huffy. Certainly Chacon made a huge error by turning this situation into a physical altercation, but Wade should have been able to convey the message without provoking Chacon.

All that said, this is on the basis that there's any truth in Chacon's description of what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:10 pm 

Rumor has it that Jerry Jones has inquired about the availability of Shawn Chacon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:30 pm 

Willton wrote:
I'm not so sure it's Chacon being a baby as it is Wade handling the situation poorly. When Chacon was moved to the pen in Pittsburgh, we never heard a story like this. I'm sure Chacon was not happy about it, but there were no blow-ups, no tantrums, and certainly no physical altercations; otherwise, I imagine we would have heard about it. Now Chacon is sent to bullpen in Houston, but he ends up getting in a fight with the GM. What changed?

Are you saying Littlefield may have handled a situation correctly??? Nah...couldn't be!!! :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:40 pm 

Just from reading that article, I think blame lies on both of them. For one, I think if a GM asks you to go to his office, you should probably just do it, and not reply with "I don't want to, tell me what you got to say here". On the other hand, Wade should be professional enough to not lose his cool even under those circumstances. It will be interesting to see if Chacon does get a new job or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Are you saying Littlefield may have handled a situation correctly??? Nah...couldn't be!!! :o

Well it's obvious DL was greasing the skids for the acquisition of Matt Morris!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
If any bit of what Chacon says about the altercation is true, then Wade is a Grade A ass. I feel the embarrassment of Houston fans.

Correct me if my understanding is mistaken.
Chacon (the employee) is demoted to the bullpen after 3 or 4 bad outings in a row. He is not happy about it. His agent demands a trade. Wade (the boss) comes up to Chacon in the dining room and asks him to go to Cooper's (the manager) office with him for a meeting. Chacon - again, the employee (who, BTW, is making $2M) - refuses. Chacon says he isn't going to Cooper's office for a private meeting and that Wade can tell him right there.

Wade is a Grade A ass?

In the real world and not in the world of pampered, spoiled athletes, Chacon would have been fired on the spot.

MLB should step in and suspend Chacon for the remainder of the year without pay. This is very remniscent of the Latrell Sprewell situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:37 pm 

Good point Shark. Chacon brought this on himself. On the other hand, Wade is such a pencil necked geek, Chacon couldn't resist just grabbing him and throwing him down. I think my girlfriend could kick Wade's ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:57 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Correct me if my understanding is mistaken.
Chacon (the employee) is demoted to the bullpen after 3 or 4 bad outings in a row. He is not happy about it. His agent demands a trade. Wade (the boss) comes up to Chacon in the dining room and asks him to go to Cooper's (the manager) office with him for a meeting. Chacon - again, the employee (who, BTW, is making $2M) - refuses. Chacon says he isn't going to Cooper's office for a private meeting and that Wade can tell him right there.

Wade is a Grade A ass?

In the real world and not in the world of pampered, spoiled athletes, Chacon would have been fired on the spot.

MLB should step in and suspend Chacon for the remainder of the year without pay. This is very remniscent of the Latrell Sprewell situation.

Okay, my bad, I missed the part where this confrontation happened after Chacon was moved to the bullpen. My comments were under the premise that it happened in the process of moving Chacon to the bullpen.

I still think Wade is an idiot, but not for the aforementioned reason. In this case, it's Chacon lashing out at the closest authority because he feels sorry for himself. He should be duly punished.

And to think, there were people here calling for the Pirates to offer this guy arbitration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm 

Now, having recanted my criticism of Wade, I feel like I should reinstate it, as given Wade's prior behavior, I believe there is a lot of truth to Chacon's side of the story. Here's a quote about Wade's apparently legendary temper back when he was ousted as the GM of the Phillies:
Quote:
Ed Wade screamed and cursed for several minutes, then picked up a chair in Charlie Manuel's office and whipped it across the room.
BAM!
The chair smashed into a wall halfway between the ceiling and the floor. Two legs and chunks of wood littered the area.

Manuel watched the scene and kind of nodded his head as if to say, "OK, now what?"
This fit being thrown by a grown man was aimed toward to the scribe sitting across from Manuel's desk. I quietly watched in stunned amazement when the Phillies' since-ousted general manager showed off a hot temper that some team insiders suggest is legendary.

Late this summer, Wade repeatedly chewed out closer Billy Wagner - sometimes in person, sometimes over the phone - for comments he read in the newspaper and during contract negotiations. Wagner took this verbal abuse for a while, then got fed up and began hanging up on Wade.

Years earlier, Wade called a team meeting to scream at players. One pitcher said everyone buried their heads in their arms so Wade couldn't see them laughing at him.

Two springs ago, Wade was furious at Phillies beat writers, called a morning meeting and cursed for about 20 minutes. I still have the tape from that one. You should hear it. It's something else, right out of the Lee Elia school of bleeps. He got personal. Ask Philadelphia Daily News baseball writer Marcus Hayes, who remained calm as his character was assassinated and he was being called an officious [bleep]."

On a Sunday in July 2004, the day Eric Milton flirted with a no-hitter, Wade lost it in front of the Phillies dugout when Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Sam Carchidi asked him if "there were any trade developments." Carchidi, who does not cover the team regularly, was told with anger: "If you were here everyday, you would know." Wade ended the shouting match by saying, "Kiss my [bleeping bleep], Sam."
Dozens of early arriving children watched the entire incident from behind the Phillies dugout.

When announcing the firing, team president David Montgomery called Wade a man of character. Talk to others in the organization with the tape reporters off and notebooks away and you'll hear more stories of Wade's hot temper and how he often big-leagued team employees.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/lofiversion/in ... t1199.html (see bottom of the page)

It's my firm belief that all parties involved acted like children. Chacon had no business being insubordinate to Wade and subsequently assaulting him, and Wade had no business yelling and screaming at Chacon in front of all the players. I hope they all get fired.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm 

Could it be that Ed Wade is angry all the time because he is a terrible GM? I'd be pretty mad myself if I signed Chacon to start for my team.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:09 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Wow, Chacon must be a real badass!! I mean who in their right mind would take on a physical specimen such as Ed Wade?

Could Wade be related to Peter Gammons?

Let this be the year!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 pm 

Looks like he is available . . . . and the Bucs need pitching. ;)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Looks like he is available . . . . and the Bucs need pitching. ;)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

If I were NH and IF I were to acquire him (not saying I want to), I would wait until after he clears waivers so I'm not on the hook for his salary, since the Astros announced they intend to release him afterwards. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be until Monday. Then again, I could consider him as a fallback option to take Barthmeier's remaining start(s) if he shits the bed tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 pm 

Chacon caused none of these kind of problems while in Pittsburgh. It is clearly wrong to get physical and Chacon made a big mistake there.

But reading the history of Wade, he must be an out of control little mouse of a guy who wants everyone to subordinate themselves to his immature actions. Napoleonic complex. That is not acceptable in sports or anywhere else.

Chacon should be suspended or fired, and Wade should be gone sooner.