Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A good night and at this point in the season......
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 am 

Great to see the Bucs pound the hated Yanks tonight! I want to see a sweep and a total domination.

But look at it this was as well. How many of us would have belived that at this point in the season the Bucs would have a better record than:

Houston,
Los Angeles
Colorado
San Diego
Seattle
Texas
Detroit
Cleveland
and Toronto????????

Not to mention being within a game or two of the Mets and the Braves!

I love it!

Post subject: Re: A good night and at this point in the season......
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 am 

Thats a pretty crazy stat but won't be convinced that they turned the corner on losing until they are .500 or better after the all star break.Tt would be nice though to see it happen before hand though , but being better than the Dodgers right now is definetly worth a pat on the back after how much they spent over the off season this yeat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:40 am 

IMO it is somewhat pleasing because we are not being totally dominated by the AL. The White Sox series was typical of Pirate inter-league play in past years. But Toronto and now the first of the Yankee series shows some improvement.

we all know that there are two more Yankee games and then first place TB comes to town. BUT AT LEAST WE ARE AT HOME.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 am 

This win cannot help but build some confidence in a team that's been missing it for quite some time. I don't care if the Yankees are under .500, they're still the Yankees.

But I do agree with Colin21, it's going to be really hard to get good and excited about this team until they're at or above .500 at the All Star break.

The one that's still bothering me is that -37 run differential. That has to be addressed sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:04 am 

If they're going to get above .500, July is the month to do it. Not a division leader on the schedule and only two teams with a winning record (St Louis and Milwaukee). After the Rays leave town, we get:

Cincy - 3
Milwaukee - 3
Houston - 6
St Louis - 3
Colorado - 7
San Diego - 4

If the Pirates aren't at least a few games over .500 after that run, it's time to throw in the towel for the year. Make the trades, retool for '09 and beyond. If they are, NH has some interesting decisions to make.

BM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:20 am 

Well we have a chance. That's 26 games you have listed and takes us through July. -- after inter-league is over.

12 before the All-Star game/ 14 after. In both cases exactly half those games are at home.

The records of the teams is helpful and the home schedule also helps us.

Without injuries and some pitching from our Starters we have an outside chance of being 500 at the end of July.

What does that do to our trade deadline issues?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 pm 
I think it was about the most exciting night of Pirates baseball in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:19 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Well we have a chance. That's 26 games you have listed and takes us through July. -- after inter-league is over.

12 before the All-Star game/ 14 after. In both cases exactly half those games are at home.

The records of the teams is helpful and the home schedule also helps us.

Without injuries and some pitching from our Starters we have an outside chance of being 500 at the end of July.

What does that do to our trade deadline issues?

I don't think it changes anything. If NH is offered a deal that makes sense to the club, I think he'll pull the trigger. But he's not going to make a deal that's going to hurt the organization.