Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dumatrait to DL, TJ Beam called up
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:43 am 

BBF wrote:
He is hardly a young kid that they are "rushing".

Maybe he's from Cuba?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I've like TJ Beam for along time now but i still don't think hes ready for the pros yet.Hes 6'7 210 pounds.He needs some meat to his bones and better stuff before hes ready , but i've been wrong before with guys being ready , but i just think that they are rushing him.There are other guys out there they could have brought in instead of Beam at this point.

Beam is 27 years old. If he's not ready now, he'll never be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
Beam is 27 years old. If he's not ready now, he'll never be.

27 if we multiply by the distance of Earth to Mars during the Spring Equinox and divide by the number of losing seasons the Pirates have had and add the number of Al Martin's wives equals 31 in Latin American years...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 pm 

I dont think beam's from out of this county.Hes pretty white.Age isn't why i said he isnt ready , i don't think hes ready cause his numbers aren't good enough.we have alot of young guys doing better than Beam right now.Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I dont think beam's from out of this county.Hes pretty white.Age isn't why i said he isnt ready , i don't think hes ready cause his numbers aren't good enough.we have alot of young guys doing better than Beam right now.Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

Well if that's the case, then we certainly aren't rushing him, are we? He's just not good enough, and leaving him in AAA is not going to teach him anything. Unless you can think of a better option, I say we use him or lose him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:00 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

I would like to hear what you didn't like about what Beam had been doing in the minors. In 40 IP, he had given up only 29 hits and 13 walks. Only one home run and 9 earned runs. He also had 39 strikeouts.

If you prefer ratios, that is an ERA of 2.03, a WHIP of 1.05, and a K:BB ratio of 3:1.

While I don't have high hopes for him, I DON'T agree that he was rushed up or didn't deserve to get the call.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 pm 

Beam just proved my point in the game tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:52 pm 

Yeah he got rocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:04 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Beam just proved my point in the game tonight.

No he didn't. Last night's game is just evidence that Beam is not a good pitcher. It proves nothing about whether he was rushed to the major leagues.

There's no way that Beam could be rushed when (a) he's 27 years old, (b) he was dominating AAA at the time, and (3) he's pitched in the majors in years prior.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:56 am 

I know but there is a different feel from the minors to the pros.Vanbenscoten is the best example of that.Hes a pitching god in triple A but hes just not a good pro yet.If TJ Beam is ever going to be good in the pros its not gonna be until hes atleast 29 or 30.Hes not ready mentally , and just because the Yankees rushed him the same way we are not be he has good experence.Coming up and getting rocked every pro outting you have is worse than keeping them in the minors until they are 29 in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:23 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I guess if worse came to worse, Burnett could be thrown out there to start...

of course now Snell's elbow is bothering him too...They might have 2 spots to plug with nothing at AAA...

Maybe Herrea would get a look from Altoona...

Russell said last night after the game that there is no chance that Burnett will get a start.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:58 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
I guess if worse came to worse, Burnett could be thrown out there to start...

of course now Snell's elbow is bothering him too...They might have 2 spots to plug with nothing at AAA...

Maybe Herrea would get a look from Altoona...

Russell said last night after the game that there is no chance that Burnett will get a start.

The way the guy lastnight crapped his pants and Ty tonight, and VanBenschoten getting called back up...Theres still a chance he might have too...

Not that the results will be much different than the others they've had from AAA...

Ponson would look nice in a Pirates uniform right now...Hell I would have even offered him my flask filled with some liquor to keep in his back pocket while out on the mound

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...