Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: bay and nady
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:55 pm 

I wonder who has more Strike outs. Last time I checked you can't score or even move a guy up a base if you SO. Lot's been said about Bay reducing his Ks this year -- just wondering?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 pm 

just checked Bay 60 Nady 43-- once again Bay leads

Ave. Bay .283 Nady .314
RBI Bay 40 Nady 49

AB Bay 269 Nady 245

Bay does have almost as many doubles 18-16 and is ahead in several catagories.

It is clear that Bay is far superior player???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:27 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I'd take a team full of Nady's and put them up against a team full of Bay's any day of the week.

You'd lose well over 100 games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
I'd take a team full of Nady's and put them up against a team full of Bay's any day of the week.

How so? I've seen Freddy Sanchez, Freddy Sanchez, intentionally walked at least twice this season to get to Bay in a late-game situation. Jason Bay has two walk-off hits in his entire career. Amazingly they happened on back-to-back days! I don't know about you but I want someone on my team that doesn't have onions that shrink up in a tight spot.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:48 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

I wonder what their respective ERA's would be??!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:00 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

How so?

By scoring way fewer runs than the all-Bay team.

Quote:
I've seen Freddy Sanchez, Freddy Sanchez, intentionally walked at least twice this season to get to Bay in a late-game situation. Jason Bay has two walk-off hits in his entire career. Amazingly they happened on back-to-back days! I don't know about you but I want someone on my team that doesn't have onions that shrink up in a tight spot.

Jason Bay's career OPS with runners in scoring position: .920

Xavier Nady's career OPS with runners in scoring position: .745

That doesn't even consider that the All-Bays will be hitting with runners in scoring position a hell of a lot more often than the All-Nadys will.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 pm 

BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

I wonder what their respective ERA's would be??!! :shock:

I dont know if Bay's arm would allow him to put anything on the ball if he was pitching...Nady's got more zip

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:11 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

How so? I've seen Freddy Sanchez, Freddy Sanchez, intentionally walked at least twice this season to get to Bay in a late-game situation. Jason Bay has two walk-off hits in his entire career. Amazingly they happened on back-to-back days! I don't know about you but I want someone on my team that doesn't have onions that shrink up in a tight spot.

There's more to baseball than the 9th inning. Your focus on late-game situations largely ignores the work that players do during the rest of the game that is more outcome-determinative than what happens in a limited number of "clutch" situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm 

Willton wrote:
There's more to baseball than the 9th inning. Your focus on late-game situations largely ignores the work that players do during the rest of the game that is more outcome-determinative than what happens in a limited number of "clutch" situations.

Like how a player performs when he comes up with runners in scoring position? Or is that just luck?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:23 pm 

Argentum wrote:
[Man, maybe someone can chime in hear about Bay's perceived lack of hitting in the "clutch"! Then we'd have a taboo trifecta.

IA Pirate wrote:
I don't know about you but I want someone on my team that doesn't have onions that shrink up in a tight spot.

Ask and ye shall receive, SA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Like how a player performs when he comes up with runners in scoring position? Or is that just luck?

A large sample size is more significant than a small sample size. Always.

However, in this case, we have somebody arguing that Nady is more of a clutch hitter despite the fact that Bay hits much, much better with runners in scoring position, so there is no point in making the argument that there is no evidence that clutch hitting is a repeatable skill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

No, because once again, that's thinking too narrowly. There's more to baseball than RISP opportunities. You need to realize that the plate appearances with no RISP is just as important as those with RISP, as plate appearances with no men on is an opportunity to create a situation with RISP (or score outright with a homerun).

Further, how one does with RISP tends to mirror how one does in all situations. For instance, Bay has a career line of .281/.377/.516 overall and .284/.397/.523 with RISP. As you can see, making the distinction does not tell us much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 am 

Willton wrote:
You need to realize that the plate appearances with no RISP is just as important as those with RISP, as plate appearances with no men on is an opportunity to create a situation with RISP (or score outright with a homerun).

LaRoche at-bat in the third inning, runners on second and third, one out. Bucs down 4-2.
LaRoche at-bat in the ninth inning, no one on base, one out. Bucs down 4-2.

How LaRoche performs in the ninth is "just as important" as how he performs in the third?

I understand (or "realize" as you put it) that getting on base is part of trying to create runs. But getting those runs home is how games are won or lost. You'll never be able to convince me that all plate appearances are equivalent (or, in your words, "just as important") to one another. Just as you were never able to convince me that an out is an out is an out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:05 pm 

Here's a question for you . . . was Abreu's AB in the third inning last night "just as important" as his AB in the ninth inning last night?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:29 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Here's a question for you . . . was Abreu's AB in the third inning last night "just as important" as his AB in the ninth inning last night?

As far as evaluating a player is concerned, which is what we're doing here with Nady and Bay, yes, it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:36 pm 
Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

As far as evaluating a player is concerned, which is what we're doing here with Nady and Bay, yes, it was.

I disagree. WHEN a player gets a hit or doesn't get a hit is hugely important. The goal is to win games, and the WHEN is a huge factor in that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:41 am 

Elmer wrote:
Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

I disagree. WHEN a player gets a hit or doesn't get a hit is hugely important. The goal is to win games, and the WHEN is a huge factor in that.

I agree as far as winning games are concerned, but when it comes to evaluating how well a player plays, focusing on narrowly tailored situations loses sight of the player's true value. It is for these reasons that people overrate players like Joe Carter and Ruben Sierra and underrate players like Jason Bay. A broader perspective is needed.

Players do not pick and choose when they get hits; if they could, they'd hit all the time. Players can control the frequency at which they get their hits, but they do not control the "when" that you speak of to any degree of certainty. That's why asking silly questions, such as the one No. 9 asked above, does not advance the discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:
You need to realize that the plate appearances with no RISP is just as important as those with RISP, as plate appearances with no men on is an opportunity to create a situation with RISP (or score outright with a homerun).

LaRoche at-bat in the third inning, runners on second and third, one out. Bucs down 4-2.
LaRoche at-bat in the ninth inning, no one on base, one out. Bucs down 4-2.

How LaRoche performs in the ninth is "just as important" as how he performs in the third?

I understand (or "realize" as you put it) that getting on base is part of trying to create runs. But getting those runs home is how games are won or lost. You'll never be able to convince me that all plate appearances are equivalent (or, in your words, "just as important") to one another. Just as you were never able to convince me that an out is an out is an out.

The problem with your scenario is that the first example probably comes up 10 times as often as the second, but you're treating them as equals.