Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Time to get healthy?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:31 pm 

Quote:
The next ten include four games against Washington at 10-17, three games against San Francisco at 12-16 and three games against Atlanta at 12-14 (with Smoltz on the DL). Bucs have a 6-3 record against their opponents who are currently at .500 or worse.

Funny, I was watching the Nationals Braves game on MESN(Nationals Broadcast), and they were excited that Pittsburgh was coming to town, stating that it would be nice to get 3 of 4 or a sweep to get them on their way. Additionally, during the broadcast of the Pirates Mets 13-1 debacle, Ron Darling mentioned that it was "wasn't great to play this sort of game with all the kids(apparently field trip students) here and against a team like the Pirates.

Nice to see the effects of the 15 years of futulity taking its effect on our league wide respect. By the way, who the heck are the Nationals anyway? Have they ever won anything? How about trying to keep the team in the city for awhile before thinking yourselves above a historic team like the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:
The next ten include four games against Washington at 10-17, three games against San Francisco at 12-16 and three games against Atlanta at 12-14 (with Smoltz on the DL). Bucs have a 6-3 record against their opponents who are currently at .500 or worse.

Funny, I was watching the Nationals Braves game on MESN(Nationals Broadcast), and they were excited that Pittsburgh was coming to town, stating that it would be nice to get 3 of 4 or a sweep to get them on their way. Additionally, during the broadcast of the Pirates Mets 13-1 debacle, Ron Darling mentioned that it was "wasn't great to play this sort of game with all the kids(apparently field trip students) here and against a team like the Pirates.

Nice to see the effects of the 15 years of futulity taking its effect on our league wide respect. By the way, who the heck are the Nationals anyway? Have they ever won anything? How about trying to keep the team in the city for awhile before thinking yourselves above a historic team like the Pirates.

I agree with you totally. Who are the Nationals? But the flip side ... how can you blame anyone for any jokes/criticism of the Pirate, a team on the verge of the longest connsectutive years of losing in the history of pro sports. I hate it, but what defense can we have from that kind of crap?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 am 

Odalis Perez always does well against us, so last night's result doesn't surprise me. Lannon goes tonight (Friday), he's young but impressive. Could be a long night, especially if Doumatrait has his Reds uni on under his Pirates one. Chico on Saturday is our best bet for a win. He's been getting shelled plus he's up against Maholm (which Paul will show-up?). Redding on Sunday is the type of pitcher who will look like Cy Young against us. Journeyman right hander with a 95 mph fastball and control problems.

Right now, a split is probably the most we can hope for, I really don't see us reeling off three in a row.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:56 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Snell hasn't lost any speed, unless you are basing it on last game. Two games ago he was pounding away at his usual 91-94.

He has, by his own admission, this year started to work in much more off-speed stuff, and is learning not to throw his hardest on every pitch. He is holding his "big" stuff in reserve for those innings or stituations when he needs it.

He is simply maturing as a pitcher.

ZM

I'm basing it on his start in Chicago and the one after it.

If "maturing as a pitcher" means giving up more hits, more runs, more walks, less strikeouts, and getting knocked out of games earlier, then I'll take an immature pitcher, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Then you need to define "loss of speed. After Snell got through the first two innings and loosened-up, his velocity was exactly where ZM said it was, 92-94 MPH.

93 to Patterson in the 3rd
94 to Lee in the 3rd
93 & 94 to Ramirez in the 3rd
92,93,94,94 to DeRosa in the 4th
93 to Soto in the 4th
93 twice to Theriot in the 4th
93 to Lee in the 5th
93 to Ramirez in the 5th

Lots of sliders and 92 MPH fastballs in between: 6IP, 5Ks, 1BB, 3Runs

You were saying?

sisyphus wrote:
If "maturing as a pitcher" means giving up more hits, more runs, more walks, less strikeouts, and getting knocked out of games earlier, then I'll take an immature pitcher, thank you.

Hyperbole alert!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 pm 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Then you need to define "loss of speed. After Snell got through the first two innings and loosened-up, his velocity was exactly where ZM said it was, 92-94 MPH.

94 to Lee in the 3rd
93 to Soto in the 4th
93 to Lee in the 5th
93 to Ramirez in the 5th

You were saying?

sisyphus wrote:

Hyperbole alert!

You need to look up hyperbole, because that ain't it. Those are all facts.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:48 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I don't know if Snell is hurt or not, but his loss of speed and command don't look good. It is entirely possible that he was healthy when he signed the contract but injured himself afterwards, you know.

ZelieMike wrote:
Snell hasn't lost any speed, unless you are basing it on last game. Two games ago he was pounding away at his usual 91-94.

sisyphus wrote:

Argentum wrote:

94 to Lee in the 3rd
93 to Soto in the 4th
93 to Lee in the 5th
93 to Ramirez in the 5th

You were saying?

sisyphus wrote:
Those are all facts.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

"Hey, how can you criticize Snell's performance so far without raging against Gorzellany??"

/s
Sisy and his number one fan,
TPFKAE (The poster formerly known as Econo)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

"Hey, how can you criticize Snell's performance so far without raging against Gorzellany??"

/s
Sisy and his number one fan,
TPFKAE (The poster formerly known as Econo)

I didn't criticize Snell's performance. I criticized the "maturing as a pitcher" remark.

I am concerned about Snell's performance thus far, but I was relieved to see him consistently working in the nineties yesterday. If you could go back to the old board you would find that I was expressing similar concerns about Gorzelanny BEFORE SPRING TRAINING EVEN STARTED due to the abuse Tracy heaped on his arm last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm 

I propose that we open a special forum for Bucfan, Sisy and Wilton et al where they can slag each other off to their hearts' content and the rest of us don't have to suffer. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:35 pm 

Bertie wrote:
I propose that we open a special forum for Bucfan, Sisy and Wilton et al where they can slag each other off to their hearts' content and the rest of us don't have to suffer. :idea:

You may get my vote on this proposition, but it hinges on who "et al" is! ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:45 pm 

If the cap fits, wear it. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:54 pm 

Bertie wrote:
If the cap fits, wear it. ;) :lol:

Bertie making Argentum don his cap:

And Sisyphus his:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:56 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
I didn't criticize Snell's performance. I criticized the "maturing as a pitcher" remark.

Well, since that is my remark, let me re-remark. This comes from an early article in the P-G interviewing Snell and Andrews where the article states that Andrews, and Morris at the time, were working with Snell to back off his velocity a bit during "routine" innings so he could go deeper into games, and have some "oooph" to call upon in critical situations.

That Snell is now grumbling and "going back" to throwing hard again, furthers shows me its a maturity issue.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:53 pm 

Apparently the Nationals "got healthy"...