Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 30, 2008 Pirates at New York Mets
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:40 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Apparently there are good know-it-alls-who-never-admit-they're-wrong, and bad ones. ;)

So where does this have to do with my name being mentioned about the prior quote, not being Wilton's?

Am I a know it all?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:21 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
So where does this have to do with my name being mentioned about the prior quote, not being Wilton's?

Am I a know it all?

You misread.

My line referred to how MM indiscriminately sides with Bucfan in any argument just because he doesn't like Willton and Sisyphus. That is all.

Then again, I don't know: ARE you a know-it-all? ;)

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:35 pm 

My line referred to how MM indiscriminately sides with Bucfan in any argument just because he doesn't like Willton and Sisyphus. That is all.

MM, Bucfan, Sisy, Willton, and Elmer need to broaden their approach, much like I have. I side with everyone who doesn't like BH. I get along with EVERYBODY!!!! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
It is unworkable to suggest that if a runner reaches first after an error with two outs and a home run follows that the run should be considered an "earned" run because the hitter may have hit a home run in the following inning. That is pure speculation.

Agreed. What we can say, for sure, is that the pitcher should not still be on the mound - he did his job. The defense did not.

The idea that the pitcher should be dunned for not getting four or five outs is really odd to me. The point behind sabremetrics and related fields was to give greater context to offensive production. Too be more accurate.

Dunning the pitcher because the fielders cannot field is not an accurate measurement.

It's not "dunning" the pitcher (whatever that means); it's recording the facts. The fact of the matter is that the run scored while the pitcher was on the mound, and pretending that it did not because a fielder (even the pitcher) misplayed a batted ball clouds the facts.

You talk of the pitcher "getting four or five outs" as being improper. But the thing is, unless he gets a strikeout, the pitcher himself does not really get any outs; it's the defense that gets the out after the pitcher gives up a batted ball. The pitcher does not work alone, so he's not the one expected to get outs; it's the entire defense, pitcher included, that's expected to get outs. And the entire defense's job is not done in an inning until all 3 outs are recorded. Hence, a pitcher's job, as part of a defense, is not over once an error has been made.

The whole premise behind the earned run rule is flawed. The earned run rule does not logically flow from the error rule; it is a monster unto itself. It's partly built on errors, sure, but it's also built on this philosophy that one can remove the effect of an error by hypothetically reconstructing the inning and pretending as if the error never happened. That is not accuracy; that's fantasy.

Bucfan wrote:
And one final point - Sisy and Econo probably did not pitch, and see some pretty bad defensive efforts behind them. The psychological toll is high, particularly the error on a ball that should have ended the inning.

I'm sure that's the case, but I don't see how that has any relevance on how to record events occuring after an error.

Bucfan wrote:
It takes a lot of effort, energy, focus, etc. to keep pitching when you should be on the bench or hitting. This purely mathematical view of judging pitching does not do justice to what a pitcher may have done. ERA is not perfect, for heaven's sake, but at least it does not smack the pitcher for failing to get four or five outs.

Actually, yes it does. As I said earlier, a good pitcher is capable of preventing unearned runs from occurring more than a bad pitcher is. Yet removing these unearned runs from the equation marginalizes the value of these good pitchers while inflating the value of bad pitchers. It obscures the reality that errors will always happen, and some pitchers are better than others at minimizing the damage that occurs as a result of them. So yes, ERA does "smack" the pitcher, or at least the good ones. It also makes the bad pitchers look better than they really are.

Stats are about recording facts. They should not be about assigning blame. The sooner one realizes this, the sooner one understands how ill-conceived the earned-unearned distinction is.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Am I a know it all?

You misread.

Then again, I don't know: ARE you a know-it-all? ;)

That's not true ... I happen to agree with a lot of Bucfan's points. The heat between Willton/Sisyphus stems from disagreements on certain points. It only makes sense that I would agree with a poster who also disagrees with them on certain points.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:04 pm 

This thread has gone in a lot of different directions, and I have a few different comments, though none are insightful enough (are they ever?) to merit separate posts, so I will just lump them in here:

First of all, as to the meaning of the word "earned", as a pitcher, I was always taught/under the impression that they were earned by the pitcher, not by the offense, much in the same way a whooping is "earned" by a child drinking bleach under the sink. As Econo said before (sorry dude, I can't identify you as Willton), they are "earned" in a negative way.

Also, having been a pitcher through high school, I would dispute the claim that the psychological burden of having an inning extended makes one more likely to give up a homer to a hitter (though not something that can really be debated, I suppose). Other things cited, such as pitching from the stretch, fatigue from a long inning, etc. are all relevant, but why is it *better* to assume that the pitcher WOULDN'T give up that homerun in the following inning, as ERA does?

I was also interested to read someone's question of what if the offense "forces" an error. I think the idea of a speedy runner forcing an error, thereby technically *earning* a shot to score is an interesting point of view. Not entirely sure I agree with it, but the premise upon which that statement is drawn has some merit.

Ironically, I always pictured sabrematicians to be skinny geeky guys and scouts to be the overweight baseball player wannabe's, living out of a suitcase, shoving Doritos in their face while they smoke a cheap cigar and watch Skinamax on the hotel TV.

Finally, I still don't see how ERA is a better measure of how good a pitcher is than RA. Are there great pitchers who had good ERA's and poor RA's? Bad pitchers with good RA's but poor ERA's? It seems that ERA was devised to try to separate pitching from defense. The thing is, there really is no way to separate those two factors, as you position defenders based on how you pitch guys, etc. Aside from that, we have good defensive-independent stats: HR rate, strikeout rate, and walk rate, that give you a good picture of how good a pitcher is.