Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with the Offense
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:58 pm 

Bay is only hitting .218 with runners in scoring position.
Sanchez needs to be moved down in the batting order.
Bautista is not the answer at 3B
LaRoche is not the answer at 1B

I think Bay should be moved up in the batting order. I would lead off with Bay actually.

Bay
Jack
McLouth
Doumit
Nady
Sanchez
Fill in the Blank here
Fill in the Blank here

Post subject: Re: Problems with the Offense
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm 

BD, you are right that these guys aren't hitting (though your criticism of Bay is pushing the envelope), but if you think this team is losing because of the offense, you are dead wrong. We are in the top 5 in runs scored. In our only loss this week, we scored 6 runs. The problem, which is quite obvious, is our starting pitching. If our starting pitching had performed the whole year as it did the past turn or two through the rotation, we would easily be sitting 5 games over .500 right now.

When our pitchers start tossing quality starts 4 out of 5 nights, and we continue to lose, then it is time to bitch about the offense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm 

Just looked it up. A year ago today, the Pirates were 10 games under .500 @ 27-37.

The difference between then and now: Snell and Gorzelanny were a large part of the reason the record was that good. Both were 6-4. Snell had a 2.63 ERA; Gorzelanny a 2.76.

Chacon, in spot starts, was 2-1, 4.25, which wouldn't look half-bad if it were this year.

Maholm (2-9, 5.33) and Duke (3-8, 5.54) were the slackers. But Duke was about to go on the DL and be replaced in the rotation by JVB.

BTW: LaRoche was hitting just about what he is today: .216. But he had 8 HR and 37 RBI (as opposed to 6 and 25 now). Bautista? .271 (vs. .253 today). Sanchez: .297 (vs. .240).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 pm 

BBF wrote:
BD, you are right that these guys aren't hitting (though your criticism of Bay is pushing the envelope), but if you think this team is losing because of the offense, you are dead wrong. We are in the top 5 in runs scored. In our only loss this week, we scored 6 runs. The problem, which is quite obvious, is our starting pitching. If our starting pitching had performed the whole year as it did the past turn or two through the rotation, we would easily be sitting 5 games over .500 right now.

When our pitchers start tossing quality starts 4 out of 5 nights, and we continue to lose, then it is time to bitch about the offense.

BBF, you always seem to be anxious to use the word wrong when it comes to my opinions.

I KNOW THAT THE REASON THE PIRATES ARE WHERE THEY ARE RIGHT NOW IS BECAUSE OF THE INEFFECTIVE OVERALL STARTING PITCHING.

But that is changing thank God. Now there are signs that Gorzo and Snell are getting back on track, Maholm is pitching solid (except for getting careless at times), Duke is pitching solid and so is Dumatrait.

This post is about the offense and what is, in my opinion, still wrong with the offense.

PS: I couldn't be more happier for Jason Bay right now. He has been playing great. But facts are still facts and he still has a problem driving in runs with runners in scoring position. My only suggestion was to maybe try batting Jason leadoff or maybe even in the 2nd spot. We have never done that with Jason before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:20 pm 

Geez - this board is getting hard to read when certain people have to be so cynical as to immediately like to jump down the other's throat. I'm all for discussions/debate, but this is starting to truly reflect what Charlie wrote about it on his blog, "a message board where the members will argue about just about anything".

I can't read anywhere in bassoon's original post where he said that hitting was the biggest problem of the team, nor do I think he, or anyone else logically thinks so with the starting pitching situation. But, I don't see a problem in still starting a discussion about the batting (even if it is the struggling part). That's just me though.

Bob - Thanks for digging up those stats. Had been meaning to look up similar ones myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:56 pm 

Mea culpa...I interpreted the title of the post to suggest that the problem WAS the offense.

But hey, go ballistic every time I disagree with you. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:28 pm 

BBF wrote:

But hey, go ballistic every time I disagree with you. 8-)

Which has happened when ... ?