Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Music does flow nice out of a Strat but I can't play a tremolo and always end up hitting the volume knob with my hand when I play one. Also I hardly ever want a clean sound. Therefore I've always been a Les Paul kind of guy, although I don't own one.

I'm in the market for a new guitar but can't afford a Gibson Les Paul. I was looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls the other day. Are they any good?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:
I see your point. At one time I felt the same way until I tried the EMG 89.

I love Strats but not for their clean tones. I just love their knarliness. Is that a word, lol?


I've never tried active PUPs. Someday I plan to though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6279
gnarliness


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Ralphie wrote:
Music does flow nice out of a Strat but I can't play a tremolo and always end up hitting the volume knob with my hand when I play one. Also I hardly ever want a clean sound. Therefore I've always been a Les Paul kind of guy, although I don't own one.


You can block the tremolo or mount it flush to the body thus eliminating it's purpose. I've done that with great success. I don't like using a tremolo. Or you could just buy a hard tail like the Robert Cray model. Can't help you on the volume control thing though. I happen to like the proximity as it allows for easy access.

Ralphie wrote:
I'm in the market for a new guitar but can't afford a Gibson Les Paul. I was looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls the other day. Are they any good?


Short answer is yes. 10 or 15 years ago no. The quality of the stuff coming out of Korea has grown significantly over the past few years thanks to CNC technologies. The hardware is the one area that these guitars usually lack in when compared to the American made stuff. You can swap out pickups though and still be well ahead cost wise though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 am
Posts: 88
Az Bucco fan wrote:
gnarliness


Thanks for that ABF.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5418
Location: Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
Music does flow nice out of a Strat but I can't play a tremolo and always end up hitting the volume knob with my hand when I play one. Also I hardly ever want a clean sound. Therefore I've always been a Les Paul kind of guy, although I don't own one.

I'm in the market for a new guitar but can't afford a Gibson Les Paul. I was looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls the other day. Are they any good?

I just took the tremolo off of my guitar. I have the same problem with hitting the volume knob, though.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6279
O suck so bad on the six string gun that I never had to take the volume knob into consideration. However, I usually have it to 11 on the guitar.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5418
Location: Pittsburgh
Az Bucco fan wrote:
O suck so bad on the six string gun that I never had to take the volume knob into consideration. However, I usually have it to 11 on the guitar.

You'll need one of Nigel Tufnel's amps get the full performance from that guitar.

:lol:

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6279
Correctamundo.......great movie.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Unimportant question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
I prefer acoustics, I have a nice Ovation I use to gig out solo with, and an Alvarez I use to write songs around the house, and just picked up a nice Galveston acoustic/electric...

I also have a nice Paul McCartney styled Bass Guitar I use when I'm playing for the country band I'm in...

Though I do have a strat and a strat look a like, but dont play them much at all unless its a big show somewhere and I'm sitting in with someone's group

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], No. 9, val and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits