Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 pm 

Elmer wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I couldn't really believe it when you did it either.
It's called hyperbole, Elmo. Look it up.

It's called accuracy, SlapJack. Look it up.

It's called skirting the issue, Elmer. Look it up.

Oh no, am I going to start something? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:26 pm 
Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:
I couldn't really believe it when you did it either.
It's called hyperbole, Elmo. Look it up.

It's called accuracy, SlapJack. Look it up.

It's called skirting the issue, Elmer. Look it up.

Oh no, am I going to start something? :mrgreen:

How am I skirting the issue? I said McClouth sucks, I am admitting I said that. And I'm saying now that at the end of the year his numbers won't look near as good as they look now. I know you all disagree and that's great. How am I skirting the issue?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 pm 

Elmer wrote:
How am I skirting the issue? I said McClouth sucks, I am admitting I said that. And I'm saying now that at the end of the year his numbers won't look near as good as they look now. I know you all disagree and that's great. How am I skirting the issue?

By not addressing how you can proclaim Nyjer Morgan the Pirates centerfielder of the future ("the real deal," if I'm not confusing your words with your buddy MM) after one month, while dismissing Nate's hot start because "one month doesn't make a season." There it is, hyperbole-free. Explain away.

Question for you: what kind of numbers will Nate have to put up this year for you to admit you were wrong?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:44 pm 

Elmer wrote:

Today, you said:
Elmer wrote:
One month does not a season make.

To which Kojak replied:
Funny. One month was more than enough for you to anoint Nyjer Morgan the second coming of Willie Mays.

Now, while he was exaggerating with the Willie Mays comparison (which he admits was hyperbole), he was correct in pointing out that you were lauding the exploits of Nyjer Morgan after one month of play in 2007. Unfortunately, because of the board crash, we can't point to your actual words holding up Morgan as the deserving starter, but most of us on this board have a good enough memory to remember that you did so. So denigrating the "accuracy" of Kojak's comparison, while not addressing the fact that you did make such a judgment after one month of Morgan's play, is skirting the issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:27 pm 
Elmer wrote:

By not addressing how you can proclaim Nyjer Morgan the Pirates centerfielder of the future ("the real deal," if I'm not confusing your words with your buddy MM) after one month, while dismissing Nate's hot start because "one month doesn't make a season." There it is, hyperbole-free. Explain away.

Question for you: what kind of numbers will Nate have to put up this year for you to admit you were wrong?

I'm not sure I would ever admit I'm wrong on this topic on this board because you guys would have a field day and don't want to give you that satisfaction. Econo, or Willton, you know all about not admitting you were wrong so you shouldn't mind.

As for why I like Morgan, I was more impressed with what I saw from him late last year than what I saw in McClouth. Morgan hustled, had a nice swing, hit well and had pure, raw athleticism. He started baseball late so I think he's still developing.

I still say he has more flat-out-talent than a lot of the guys ahead of him. We might not get to see everything he could be though because he doesn't have a spot.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:37 pm 

This is the block headed Elmer I know.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:32 pm 

Elmer wrote:

You're making progress, Elmer. In the last few posts you've gone from McLouth sucks to he'll be average by the end of the year to he won't look near as good as he does now. Glad to see that you're coming to appreciate the fact that McLouth is far, far better than Morgan.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 pm 

all this discussion and no one could make a snide comment on my previous post on having a man crush on mclouth. I expected better from you guys. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 pm 

jleisele58 wrote:
all this discussion and no one could make a snide comment on my previous post on having a man crush on mclouth. I expected better from you guys. :ugeek:

That's because we all have crushes on him. I mean, at least I do...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:12 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
jleisele58 wrote:

That's because we all have crushes on him. I mean, at least I do...

I remember I was accused of it last year by Elmer. That's where I elluded to he and I spooning, if anyone remembers that comment. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 pm 

To borrow a term from FireJoeMorgan...are you saying you have a baseball-rection over McLouth?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:34 pm 

Maybe. :mrgreen:

By the way, it's good to see another FJM reader here. Awesome website.