Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Molina's AB in bottom of 2nd
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 pm 

Great AB. Outstanding piece of hitting. Wasn't that long ago that there were people on this Board openly mocking Molina for being a lousy hitter. He's no Joe Mauer but that was a big league piece of hitting.

Go NL!

Post subject: Re: Molina's AB in bottom of 2nd
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 pm 

Molina has improved significantly as a hitter from his early years as a Cardinal. He's still not a good hitter on an objective level, but he's acceptable as a catcher.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 pm 

I'd trade Ryan Doumit for Yadier Molina any day of the week and twice on Sundays. No question in my mind at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm 

Would love to see Ichiro test Molina's arm here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:02 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'd trade Ryan Doumit for Yadier Molina any day of the week and twice on Sundays. No question in my mind at all.

I'd much rather have Molina's All-Star backup: Brian McCann.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:54 pm 

Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that Molina wouldn't have called for 3 straight 0-2 fastballs after Jones took a breaking pitch for a strike and looked like garbage on an outside breaking pitch - particularly after you walk a batter to set up a double play.

Awful pitch sequence and it ended up with the AL scoring. No reason to throw a fastball up in the zone and anywhere near where a hitter can elevate it.

Flippin' AL is gonna pull out another one. Damn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:06 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that Molina wouldn't have called for 3 straight 0-2 fastballs after Jones took a breaking pitch for a strike and looked like garbage on an outside breaking pitch - particularly after you walk a batter to set up a double play.

I tuned in just in time to see that sequence. Surpised that Bell did not try to get the ball down to get a ground ball and possible double play.

If he goes fastball 1-2, he should have jammed the shit out of the batter and then gone slow, low away to get the grounder to second.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:11 am 

McCann's eye troubles scare the hell out of me. My wife has had trouble after her eye surgery and we've learned the hard way how bad things can get when you're eyes aren't working like they're suppossed to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Awful pitch sequence and it ended up with the AL scoring. No reason to throw a fastball up in the zone and anywhere near where a hitter can elevate it.

Flippin' AL is gonna pull out another one. Damn.

I'd lose my own bet. Molina was still in the game. Bad pitch calling on his part. Really bad.