Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson Cruz vs. Garrett Jones
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 am 

Caught some of the HR derby last night and became aware of this Nelson Cruz fellow.

Cruz is 29, 6'3", 230 lbs. Prior to this year, he had 22 homers in 557 ML atbats. This year he has 22 homers so far. So obviously he has figured things out relatively late in life.

Jones is 28, 6'4" 245. He had 2 homers in 77 atbats prior to this year, 5 homers in 42 at bats this year. Have we found a legitimate power hitter?

I sure hope so, but considering that he plays for the Pirates, he will probably rupture his achilles next week.

Post subject: Re: Nelson Cruz vs. Garrett Jones
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Caught some of the HR derby last night and became aware of this Nelson Cruz fellow.

Cruz is 29, 6'3", 230 lbs. Prior to this year, he had 22 homers in 557 ML atbats. This year he has 22 homers so far. So obviously he has figured things out relatively late in life.

Jones is 28, 6'4" 245. He had 2 homers in 77 atbats prior to this year, 5 homers in 42 at bats this year. Have we found a legitimate power hitter?

I sure hope so, but considering that he plays for the Pirates, he will probably rupture his achilles next week.

That is a really good comparison in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am 

Ralphie wrote:

It happens. I read somewhere else the other day of the example of Mike Easler. Easler rattled around AAA for six seasons (1973 through 1978). He drank no more than a cup of coffee in the show in each of the first five and then did not get called up at all in 78. Then on the Pirates championship team in 79, he stuck with the big league club and was used almost exclusively as a pinch hitter with good success. He was 28 at the time. After that, he went on to have a solid, if not spectacular, major league career as a regular in left field.

So, yeah, it happens. Let's hope we get that lucky with Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 am 

Some guys are just late bloomers. It happens in sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 am 

This is interesting. I had that thought when Cruz was batting last night. I thought hey, if he is a late bloomer, maybe it can happen for Jones. Who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:53 am 

What I like about Jones so far is (1) he is pretty darn quick for such a big guy, (2) covers ground in LF, and (3) has been hitting left-handers so far. Number 3 is important for Jones to have any chance of continuing to hit, as otherwise he will have to sit for 1/4 of the games, and be removed for a pinch-hitter in a lot of other games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 am 

The best thing about Garrett is that he brings left handed pop to the table.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:31 pm 

Perfect example of what we could have. Good post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Some guys are just late bloomers. It happens in sports.

See Mora, Melvin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
The best thing about Garrett is that he brings left handed pop to the table.

I disagree with this. The best thing about him is that he is a good hitter with power. Hitting left-handed is secondary. Is it a disadvantage for Pujols to hit righty?

Jones is lean, muscular, and fast. He could play tight end in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 pm 

Jeez, it would be great if he did what Nelson Cruz has done. Would put a little tarnish on the eval's done by that Twin organization that everyone wants to emulate. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 pm 

Whole different dynamic, lefty against lefty as opposed to righty against righty. Right handed hitters grow up hitting right handed pitchers. They just get used to it. When they face a lefty, it's different but easier. Lefthanded hitters grow up with an advantage because of facing right handed pitchers so much, but on the rare occasion they face a left handed pitcher, the tables are really turned. Thus the propensity for lefthanded hitters to struggle against southpaws. That's why we're making the point of him doing well against lefties as being a big advantage right now. That and the short fence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Jeez, it would be great if he did what Nelson Cruz has done. Would put a little tarnish on the eval's done by that Twin organization that everyone wants to emulate. :lol:

I don't quite see it that way. NH hired one of the Twins top evaluators to this FO. My guess is he had a lot of input into signing Jones.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:15 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

I don't know...if the Twins mainly looked at him at 1B...there's no way he was going to play in the majors...with Morneau there. Hell...Adam LaRoche would be at AAA if he was behind Morneau.

I don't know how the Twins evaluated him as an OF...I don't think we've seen him play defense enough to know whether he is a liability defensively. I am a little surprised that he didn't get more of a chance as at least a DH though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:27 pm 

The best thing about Jones, IMO, is that we have a more than adequate 1st basemen to replace La Roche, when he is finally dumped, or worse case scenario, to begin the 2010 season.

I did not know Nelson Cruz was 29 years old.
I am not sure on the exact age, but when John Kruk was traded from SD to Phillies, he was no spring chicken, and he was a devastating hitter for quite a few seasons.
Who knows, one thing Jones has over Kruk, is his conditioning, and better ability to hit lefty pitching.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:27 pm 

I have a really good feeling about Jones as well. He seems to have a calm about him at the plate. That bomb he hit Friday night just seemed so casual. Step in, BOOM!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:34 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Whole different dynamic, lefty against lefty as opposed to righty against righty. Right handed hitters grow up hitting right handed pitchers. They just get used to it. When they face a lefty, it's different but easier. Lefthanded hitters grow up with an advantage because of facing right handed pitchers so much, but on the rare occasion they face a left handed pitcher, the tables are really turned. Thus the propensity for lefthanded hitters to struggle against southpaws. That's why we're making the point of him doing well against lefties as being a big advantage right now. That and the short fence.

Being a lefty in little league was fun...Right handed pitchers hated facing me...My first year of little league our league had a courtesy runner rule for the catcher, so they batted me leadoff...My stats for the season was 0 for 1...I either got hit by the pitch or walked every time up but once...
Because I was a lefty they made me pitch too...

I'd have probably peed my pants having to face a lefty like Randy Johnson, being lefthanded...I'd have pulled a John Kruk...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:29 pm 

Thunder wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

I don't know...if the Twins mainly looked at him at 1B...there's no way he was going to play in the majors...with Morneau there. Hell...Adam LaRoche would be at AAA if he was behind Morneau.

I don't know how the Twins evaluated him as an OF...I don't think we've seen him play defense enough to know whether he is a liability defensively. I am a little surprised that he didn't get more of a chance as at least a DH though.

At the time, Jones's performance did not merit being played at DH. Jones was not a good hitter while with the Twins. Hopefully he's come a long way from his early 20's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:31 pm 

Willton wrote:
At the time, Jones's performance did not merit being played at DH. Jones was not a good hitter while with the Twins. Hopefully he's come a long way from his early 20's.

Exactly. Additionally, his defense in LF thus far has been more than adequate. He covers ground, has plus speed, gets a decent jump on the ball. His value is much, much greater as a LF'er than as a potential DH.